Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, we noted that Apple was planning to hold a "Red Friday" sale in a number of its Asian markets in celebration of the Lunar New Year. The sale has now gone live in those countries, and a quick examination of the Hong Kong promotion reveals similar discounts to those seen on Black Friday in much of the world back in November.

apple_red_friday_sale.jpg

In Hong Kong, Apple is offering discounts of roughly 8% on Wi-Fi iPad models across the board, while 3G-capable models are seeing slightly smaller discounts of 6-7%. The iPod touch is seeing approximately 10% discounts on all models, while the iPod nano is seeing a flat HK$ 80 discount that equates to an 8% discount on the 8 GB model and a 6.7% discount on the 16 GB model.

On the Mac side, Apple is offering a flat HK$ 770 discount on all MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac models. That discount translates to a 10% discount on the low-end MacBook Air, decreasing to 4% on the high-end MacBook Pro.

Apple's Red Friday sale is a one-day offer valid in China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand.

Article Link: Apple's 'Red Friday' Sales Go Live in Several Asian Countries

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I'd love that dragon wallpaper. Or maybe it's just an image placed there for marketing . . .

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Can we make this an American Tradition as well... at least for the Apple Stores here? I'd be all over this.
Send an e-mail to Tim.

That said, the people you would need to convince would be Joe Consumer (or at least Apple's retail customers) and certainly not the people who frequent Apple rumor forums. Based on the pissy "these discounts are pitiful" comments on Black Friday, I doubt if this would fly.

Too many people would be suing Apple because they got a lucky bag with an iPod nano and not the one with the MacBook Air.

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Send an e-mail to Tim.

That said, the people you would need to convince would be Joe Consumer (or at least Apple's retail customers) and certainly not the people who frequent Apple rumor forums. Based on the pissy "these discounts are pitiful" comments on Black Friday, I doubt if this would fly.

Too many people would be suing Apple because they got a lucky bag with an iPod nano and not the one with the MacBook Air.

You're right theres no way this would work in the US, people wouldn't find it fun to take the risk. That being said, I don't think people would sue Apple, the cost to get a laser wouldn't justify the difference in price between the MBA and the iPod. And if you were to take them to court for some reason, apple would probably happily settle by handing the consumer a laptop.

SANALAO168

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
why is philippines not included on the 2nd post

philippines was included in the first news thread and subsequently nowhere to be found in this thread. we do celebrate chinese new year too, in fact our government declared that day to be a holiday. Apple, why not us? guess we are too small a market

Last edited:

chkenwing

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2010
I went to the IFC store about an hour ago, the queue is huge! It stretched across the length of the store inside and then outside. Was hoping to pick up a 32Gb model but ended up having to ask a family member to order one for me online because I'm sure as hell not going to queue up for 2+ hours since I have work.

Gonna be a new owner of a new iPad 2 in about a days time :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.