Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homrb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Dallas, TX
i have a 13 inch macbook pro running 10.6. Every so often (a few times a day) my mouse cursor will disappear off my screen. It still works because things are hilighted on the screen and I can still click things when i move the trackpad around with my finger, there is just no pointer on the screen. This only started happening this week and I have had this computer for about 7 months. Any solutions?

rawdawg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Brooklyn
this has happened to me and in fact did it a few times yesterday (although usually it only happens every few months). For some reason I always blamed Safari, and when I close and reopen Safari the problems seems to go away. But I really don't know. Just know I have experienced this too.

homrb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Dallas, TX
Are you scrolling with the arrow keys while this happens? That's the only reason that I can see this happening.

no it happens when I open up my computer and its always on safari. it only does it for about 15-20 seconds and then It comes back

Ori

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Mine does this too. It seems to be happening more often now though. Always on Safari and moving the mouse to my hot corners seems to bring it back.

Very strange.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I have been having this same problem, although I don't see a connection to safari; in fact, I rarely use safari (I'm in the firefox camp). I see the problem after waking up my imac from sleep, and the only way to get it back seems to be to reboot the machine. It's an annoying bug that I hope 10.6.4 fixes (I've yet to update this particular computer).

timbo1437

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Its only on MacRumors website. Its been doing it ALL day for me. Very frustrating. I am on a MacPro, with all the latest software updates, and NO special Safari plugins. I am using a Logitech mouse, because lets face it... Apple Mouse is the only thing that sucks about Apple.

mckvakk

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Oslo, Norway
This happens quite often on my 15" MBP (mid 2009) as well.. And i'm not using safari. It only lasts around 5 seconds so it's not that annoying, but i hope they will fix it in the next update.

calipvp

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Same problem on Mac OS Lion

I'm using Google Chrome and I'm getting the same problem. I don't think Chrome has anything to do with the mouse disappearing because I first noticed it in Final Cut Pro X. I was guessing it had something to do with me running to video cards in my Mac Pro and a monitor connected to each video card. I can't be the only person seeing this under Mac OS Lion?

decimus

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
Same problem - any solutions in sight?

I have been having the same problem with alarming regularity many times when I am using Chrome or Firefox. Is there a fix for this yet? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

pb2020

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012
UK for now....
Mac disappears too on Macbook Pro 2011

Hi, I am using a Macbook Pro 15 inch, i7 intel Quad core, with a secondary NEC monitor and I too am finding that the mouse disappears in itunes and other internet browsers...

I am not to sure why but I will contact Apple and see what there reply is and return the reply to the forum..

Good luck to all who suffer this annoying issues..

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
10.7.2 MBP 13" early 2011

Just started doing this to me to...it's infuriating. Still does it after a reboot, relaunching Finder sometimes sorts it, quitting and restarting Chrome sometimes sorts it too.....this needs fixing...it's not a small issue.

Lamonster

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
I have the same problem, thought it had something to do with Facebook but it just did it again after I rebooted and I didn't go to Facebook this time. There has to be a fix for this. :mad:

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
same thing happens to me in chrome occasionally... switching between the tabs with control-tab a couple of times always makes it go away.

Mac User w Win

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
Solution - disappearing mouse

Hi everyone,

I have a solution (kindof) for the disappearing mouse pointer problem. After many hours of trying to figure this out... I even bought a new monitor... last weekend I was at Best Buy and the Apple rep told me that this is a known problem that has yet to be fixed. However, he also told me something I could do in the meantime to get the mouse back.

He noted that I could press Command Tab, and then click on the screen. Presto, this worked. It takes only 3 seconds, vs my 30 second process in the past to get the mouse back.

My problem occurs when I am using two monitors. As I go between monitors my mouse disappears, on occassion, multiple times per day (sometimes per hour!). In the past, my only solution was to unplug the monitor. Of course, then all of my info on the second monitor went to the first, which caused me to resort everything.

I hope Apple fixes this soon, but for now Command Tab is a nice substitute.

yarrik

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
17 inch Macbook Pro, 2008 model that runs on OS X 10.6. Same issue.

I assume it's just a Snow Leopard issue, but I dunno.

jaredpotts

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012
Solution - Worked for me.

I have discovered that for me if you clean the Internet Cache, that it works for me.

My mouse disappeared, and went to Hulu which told me I needed to clean my cache rather randomly (all the while with pointer not seen). I deleted Chrome's history/cache, and then my pointer returned, and hasn't disappeared.

Try it out, might work for you.

Patrick35

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
A solution

This mouse disappearing thingy is very troublesome! One solution that I found is the following:

-First find the current position of your cursor: press the left button and drag the mouse to see the colored area on your desktop.
-Go to "Universal access" under "Preferences".
-Change the cursor size.
-After that make permanent "Universal access" in taskbar to use it when in need.

This procedure worked for me but Apple has to fix this bug because we are many with this issue out there...

iMAX386

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2010
I was googling to see if there was a fix for this problem, and apparently not.

I'm a 2010 MBP 2.66 i7 with 10.7.3 and I've gotten it for several months. Usually happens while on Firefox (version 10 currently) and I'm on a video site. My fix is going to a hot corner and clicking a few times until it reappears.

How do we check to make sure Apple is aware of and working on this problem?

ingcue

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
I have the same problem and it is so annoying, however I have one solution until the come up with a fix.

Using three fingers on the mouse pad on the MacBook slide slightly to the left or right as if you are going to scroll between windows. It only takes a slight motion for the cursor to reappear.

Nein01

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
Germany
i'm also having an issue with my mouse cursor disappearing regularly. for me this problem started recently, about the time i bought a new external drive and hooked it up to use it for time machine.

the way i solve it for now is just by waving my mouse around on the mouse pad until i see the cursor again. it's still pretty frustrating though, because it can happen about every 15 minutes.

i'm thinking this solution works because it's probably doing the same as what another poster said about hitting the hot spot(s) on the screen to bring it back.

really hope they fix this soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.