Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SgtP3pp3r

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Honduras
Ok, i'm at wits end here. I tried looking thru the forum for a similar post, or googling the question, and found nothing helpful.

The problem is basically google.com not loading. It won't load on Safari or on Google Chrome, and won't conduct searches. I get an error saying the server is unavailable.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.7.2 on an early 2011 Macbook Pro.

This does not happen always, it occurs intermittently, but when it does even the built in search option -configured for google- for safari won't work (neither will the built in search for chrome).

I'll try using my iPad's safari and it will work no problem, but on my Mac it's a no go.

I tried resetting safari, emptying it's cache and it didn't fix it. If i were on a Windows PC i'd immediately blame MalWare, but i'm not sure if this would be the case on my Mac.

It doesn't occur too often, but often enough to cause concern. Has anyone run into this same problem, or better yet, does anyone know how to fix this problem?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This sounds like a DNS failure somewhere. DNS is the system responsible for translating http://www.google.com/ to an IP address used internally. To check your DNS settings, go into System Preferences, then Network. Click Advanced. Then click the TCP/IP tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.