Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spyderx

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I can't find one, for the life of me. I like to replace the desktop icon on the hard drive with a picture of the machine. (yeah, I like my hard drives showing on the desktop) I cannot find one for the new mini!

Anyone have one or know where I can find one?

thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
What about these two?

2012_01_22_pB1_macminiICON1.png

2012_01_22_pB1_macminiICON2.png

spyderx

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Yeah doesn't work for me .. i just get stuck with the preview icon?

open the posted png in preview, do a command-a and command-c to copy the image out of preview to the clipboard, do command-i on the hard drive icon, click on the icon in the get-info window in the top left, do a command-p to paste it.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yeah doesn't work for me .. i just get stuck with the preview icon?

Open the PNG file in Preview, click on it, press CMD+A, press CMD+C, go to the Get Info window of the file/folder/volume you want to change the icon of, click on the icon on the top left, thus it has a blue line around it, press CMD+V.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
I did all of the above, and when I pasted it in, it gave me a broken file picture of a PNG file. It's like it doesn't recognize PNG. :confused:

Nov 28, 2010
located
How to set an icon for an application, file or folder & restore to the original icon

How to set an icon for an application, file or folder
To get this result:
2012_01_23_pA1_B5_DesktopSeeResult.png
you can follow the following steps to accomplish that:​
  • Download the icon or graphic of your choice, PNG files are the best, as they often have transparency. You can use Google Image Search like this example to search for them. Normally Mac OS X icons are 512 x 512 pixel in size.
  • Open the downloaded PNG file in Preview, double clicking in Finder will suffice.
    2012_01_23_pA1_A1_OpenPNGinPreview.png
  • Click on the actual image in the Preview window, then either press CMD+A or use Edit > Select All to select the complete image, then press CMD+C or select Edit > Copy to copy the image.
    2012_01_23_pA1_A2_SelectAllinPreview.png
  • Switch to Finder and open the Get Info window via selecting the file or folder you want to have a different icon and either pressing CMD+I or right clicking on it and selecting Get Info or clicking on File > Get Info.
    2012_01_23_pA1_B1_RightClickSelectGetInfo.png

2012_01_23_pA1_B2_GetInfoWindow.png
  • Select the icon on the top left of the Get Info window, resulting in a blue line around it.
    2012_01_23_pA1_B3_GetInfoSelectIcon.png
  • Paste the copied icon either via CMD+V or Edit > Paste.
    2012_01_23_pA1_B4_GetInfo_PasteCopiedIcon.png
  • See the result from this screenshot of the Desktop.
    2012_01_23_pA1_B5_DesktopSeeResult.png

To restore a modified icon to its original one, do the following steps.
  • Open the Get Info window.
    2012_01_23_pA1_C1_RestoreGetInfoOpen.png
  • Select the icon, thus it has a blue line around it.
    2012_01_23_pA1_C2_RestoreSelectIcon.png
  • Press the Delete key on your keyboard or select Edit > Cut or press CMD+X.
    2012_01_23_pA1_C3_RestorePressBackspace.png
  • See the result.
    2012_01_23_pA1_C4_RestoreResult.png

Last edited:

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
/System/Library/CoreServices

Right-click CoreTypes.bundle, navigate to Contents and Resources. Icon:
com.apple.macmini-unibody-no-optical.icns

Full path:

Code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/com.apple.macmini-unibody-no-optical.icns

Nov 28, 2010
located
/System/Library/CoreServices

Right-click CoreTypes.bundle, navigate to Contents and Resources. Icon:
com.apple.macmini-unibody-no-optical.icns

Full path:

Code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/com.apple.macmini-unibody-no-optical.icns

Thanks. And good to see you posting again, though your missing avatar is, ahem, ... missed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.