Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
How do you handle room mates who are always home when you are?

For example, I go to work, come home, he is there. I come home to make lunch during the workweek and he's there, I go out on the weekends, come home, he's there. I stay home all day yesterday, he's there. No matter when I am home, he is there yet I am out constantly. Just gets annoying.

It is nice to have the place to myself sometimes yet it just never seems to happen.

/rant

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
buy him some movie tickets ... or get your own place ... the thing is with sharing a house ... other people live there

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
Sounds like me, only I have the same problem myself (though I'm in a dorm). There's something unsettling about having a non-significant-other being that close to you all the time. Just have to learn to live with it.

kamuix

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
california
You'll get used to it. :D

Actually I used to live alone for a while when I moved out of the dorms. It got sorta lonely as I never bothered going out much nor did I have much friends as they lived really far. This was even worse when I couldn't get internet for 6 months due to the previous owner not killing their phone line account. I ended up crashing at my friends apt almost all the time to hang out. After moving to an apt with roommates it was actually good.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
I felt the same, wanted privacy and space, back in the day. I was 18 and was rude to my roommate. Dont make the same mistake I did, try hard. And go study at different areas around campus, go to your room just for sleeping.

(and try walking out of your room naked and ask him if he wants to try new things)

Reactions: Goatllama

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
well, he lives there......so why wouldn't he be home?

if you don't like the fact that your roommate is home, then maybe you're not really good roommate material yourself.....perhaps you should look for your own place

and there's nothing wrong with wanting your own place

Reactions: BeeGood

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Pretty sure your argument can be flipped round to you as well.

You're both in the same boat.

Hardly. I am very seldomly at my place. Though when I am, he is always there. On the otherhand, he usually has the place all to himself and it is quite evident.

So no, can't really be flipped

well, he lives there......so why wouldn't he be home?

if you don't like the fact that your roommate is home, then maybe you're not really good roommate material yourself.....perhaps you should look for your own place

and there's nothing wrong with wanting your own place

It's not the fact that he's lives there that I have an issue with. It is just that he is always there. I have had room mates where they weren't there all the time and it was nice when everyone was home as it was a rare occurrence. Quite different than every time I walk in, the guy is lounging about lol.

I guess all I am trying to say is that it is nice to have a balance in that regard when it comes from roommates lol

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Walk out of your room naked and ask if he likes to try new things.

Dukey naked? Wow...yeah, that would be awesome. :) I would not be surprised at all if the roommate wanted try that! :D

Hardly. I am very seldomly at my place. Though when I am, he is always there. On the otherhand, he usually has the place all to himself and it is quite evident.

So no, can't really be flipped

It's not the fact that he's lives there that I have an issue with. It is just that he is always there. I have had room mates where they weren't there all the time and it was nice when everyone was home as it was a rare occurrence. Quite different than every time I walk in, the guy is lounging about lol.

I guess all I am trying to say is that it is nice to have a balance in that regard when it comes from roommates lol

Seriously- find a new roommate when this lease is up. I had the same problem with my roommate of 15 years- he never left the house. I have a new one now, and he actually has a social life and leaves the house like I do, so we both have our time to ourselves. Saturday we were both home and it was as if we had not seen each other in a month. So we sat down and watched a movie. It was nice!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Set up a hidden camera in his bedroom (since he doesn't leave, you'll have to do this quickly like when he's taking a crap), then record him masturbating and play it back on the TV in the living room. That should get him out of there pretty quickly.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I lived in a house with 8 guys in college and had a great time, never a dull moment. You should just get roommates you actually like spending time with.

I did the same thing- lived in a rooming house with seven guys. It was really a good time, not to mention helpful. Those were the days when almost nobody had a computer. One of the guys had one and we would all write papers on it. It was great!

Duke, find another roommate. That's your best bet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.