Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edsel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Over There
This is proof that with 1000+ years of publishing technology, the humble book is still the preferred physical medium.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
This is has clearly been made with the sole intention of Apple buying up the patent. The fact it uses Apple private Api means it should be cheaper for them to acquire but still produce a tidy profit or income for the makers. Very nice touch, but I am not sure if it will ever become more than a gimmick.

ombrenelcielo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
wow.

One company more has lost the meaning of the word "innovation".

Paper based navigation is simply waste of resources and bad interface on medias different from paper I'm afraid.

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
These are the things OSX/IOS GUI stuff should be all about. Focus on core interaction and improve upon, instead of focusing on sueing everybody else... See Apple has all the money in the world and still can't come up with these ideas...

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
This will never take up, Apple likes simplicity. The experience they provide has to be for 8 Year olds as well as 80 year olds.

Sorry, nice video though.

Just like all the three-, four- and five-touch gestures that are already on the iPad, right?

vulcan33

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
This is not a shot across the Kindle bow....

It's a shot into the bow.....Below the water line!
The buyout contracts are flowing from the printer as we speak.
Go Baby!

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
That alone would make me buy an ipad. Thats some slick stuff right there. It loos so effortless as if it were the real thing.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple likes the idea so much they bought the concept from KAIST and it becomes a part of iBooks --if only to keep it out of the hands of Samsung! Besides, Apple could implement a settings interface so you can adjust how the page turning works so even an eight-year-old could use it. :)

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I wonder. Might not be the case.

These gestures I think can pretty much co-exist with the simple ones implemented so far. From what I can tell they do not re-define them. If you don't tell people about these extra gestures they would probably not realize they're there.
And if they accidentally discover some, they might be intuitive enough for them to figure out how they work.

Hope Apple licenses these patents.
[Though they are notoriously bad at accepting Things Not Invented Here...]

Exactly my thoughts when I was reading others negative posts. Come on people, I think its obvious gestures would change, new ones could just be added and used only if the user chooses. Over time, they will discover how to use the new gestures. Whats so hard about that.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I totally disagree with this and all those that like it, just my opinion of course.

When the first cars were made people wanted running boards on the sides ... why because horse drawn carriages had them.

Here we have a digital based system that offers a million things paper pages didn't have and people are wanting features that were a function due entirely to the limitations of paper! They may as well design the pages to turn yellow over time and the pictures to fade. Oh and the corners of the cover to get dog eared after you read the book a hundred times.

I find page turn simulation annoying. It is like amateur video editors that use transitions between every clip ...

I also think those saying the iBook Author is lacking by listing things like footnote and other things paper books have are not thinking. Paper books don't have the ability to use a hyper link so they have many work-a-rounds such as footnotes. Many aspects of paper books are simply redundant in a digital book so simply not needed!

Excuse me, my Mac keyboard needs a new nib ... ;)

Last edited:

BobbyRond

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
The Hague, The Netherlands
I work for an Apple Premium Reseller and I know that a lot of people have to get used to multi-touch. For the trackpads but also on the iPad. Mostly elderly people have difficulty even tapping an icon. They hold it for too long and makes the icons wobble (so you can re-order them).

The two, three or four finger page flip seems logical, but sliding the thumb from the bezel to the middle and then back, that's going to confuse a lot of people. Same goes for how long you keep your finger on screen before you swipe.

When the first cars were made people wanted running boards on the sides ... why because horse drawn carriages had them.

I can't agree more with you. People have to stop trying to make a touch interface resemble a paper book. Look at iBooks 2, it's no longer static, it's interactive. That's something that pushes the human race forward in stead of clamping to something that looks familiar.

Yes, Multi-touch page flipping is gimmicky and nicely thought of, but that's all it should stay.

EDIT: Wow... 'human race' is a bit overdone... Let's just say it pushes technology forward. :)

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
This has to be incorporated into the next versions of iBooks. It's just too convenient to not be.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
This is has clearly been made with the sole intention of Apple buying up the patent. The fact it uses Apple private Api means it should be cheaper for them to acquire but still produce a tidy profit or income for the makers. Very nice touch, but I am not sure if it will ever become more than a gimmick.

Let Google buy it and make their next Apple copy cat thing even worse :)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Not a single flaw in any of their implementations.

Just one: it's unnecessary. It makes for nice eye candy, but that's about it. Why should I struggle with flipping virtual pages when, by tapping, I can get an entire visual index at the bottom of the page? I agree with others: e-books aren't paper books. It's not about re-creating the mannerisms of a real book; it's about finding new ways to interact that are more efficient than a real book.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I work for an Apple Premium Reseller and I know that a lot of people have to get used to multi-touch. For the trackpads but also on the iPad. Mostly elderly people have difficulty even tapping an icon. They hold it for too long and makes the icons wobble (so you can re-order them).

The two, three or four finger page flip seems logical, but sliding the thumb from the bezel to the middle and then back, that's going to confuse a lot of people. Same goes for how long you keep your finger on screen before you swipe.

I can't agree more with you. People have to stop trying to make a touch interface resemble a paper book. Look at iBooks 2, it's no longer static, it's interactive. That's something that pushes the human race forward in stead of clamping to something that looks familiar.

Yes, Multi-touch page flipping is gimmicky and nicely thought of, but that's all it should stay.

EDIT: Wow... 'human race' is a bit overdone... Let's just say it pushes technology forward. :)

I suspect Apple considered this silly effect and dismissed it for the very reasons we agree on. Now I think about it, how many people over the many centuries of reading a paper book got excited about the visual look of pages turning? "Oh look at this new work by Leonardo I have ... no never mind the helicopter .. look the page turns so beautifully!"

rebby

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
MN
I think that it's a nice demonstration of what can be done but I do question the "real world" usability. Nothing really stood out during the video as; I've gotta have this! In fact, a lot of the features looked as if they could be pretty annoying during day to day use.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
The inside bezel, outside bezel gestures are really nice. The 1-4 page flips are kinda unnecessary for me but would be nice to have as options. I like that they're looking at ways of improving navigation, though. Plenty of room for improvement.

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
Just one: it's unnecessary. It makes for nice eye candy, but that's about it. Why should I struggle with flipping virtual pages when, by tapping, I can get an entire visual index at the bottom of the page? I agree with others: e-books aren't paper books. It's not about re-creating the mannerisms of a real book; it's about finding new ways to interact that are more efficient than a real book.

This isn't mere eye-candy. You can control flipping using just a an inch or so of screen space with your thumb! It's well executed and if the control is accurate and precise this will be a blast. The flipping visual candy might be overkill but It adds to the experience (read accuracy) instead of taking away from the experience.

The point is page flipping is slow and cumbersome. This is a well thought out attempt to increase page flipping speed and accurracy. Don't be misled by the eye-candy.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I think that it's a nice demonstration of what can be done but I do question the "real world" usability. Nothing really stood out during the video as; I've gotta have this! In fact, a lot of the features looked as if they could be pretty annoying during day to day use.

Yep, it is called putting form over function. Totally silly and it is annoying, those Flash based presentations that used that technique became excruciating to use after the first few seconds.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

looks good to me

anything to better the human to machine interface is a good thing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.