Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tburk32

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I have been noticing that some pages are taking longer to load in Safari than they have in the past. I know it’s highly unlikely if at all possible to get viruses on a Mac but is malware and spyware possible? The worst part is these pages are pages that I frequently go to and it’s quite annoying. I downloaded Google Chrome and it seems to be the same with Chrome so I don’t think it is necessarily Safari related. Does anyone have any suggestions for possible solutions? I am brand new to OSX as this is my first Mac coming from Windows for years and this is nothing new to me as it is common on windows and almost expected but I was under the assumption that I shouldn’t be facing these issues on my macbook air. Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tburk32

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I dont think it is my internet connection though. I can go from one webpage that loads flawlessly and then i try another webpage and it hangs and sometimes needs to be refreshed twice before it loads completely.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have been noticing that some pages are taking longer to load in Safari than they have in the past. I know it’s highly unlikely if at all possible to get viruses on a Mac but is malware and spyware possible?
Malware isn't possible, unless you actively installed it yourself. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

Does anyone have any suggestions for possible solutions?
First, try resetting Safari, clearing your cookies and cache.
Then, try restarting your computer.
Then, check your DNS settings, using the instructions here: Why am I being redirected to other sites?
Check any ad-blockers that could be blocking critical elements of a site.
In Safari > Preferences > Security be sure "Enable Java" is unchecked and "Enable JavaScript" is checked.
Be aware that the problem could also be with the website itself.

tburk32

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Ill definitely check out the two links you sent to me. The reason i wasnt too sure it was the website causing the problem is one time it loads flawlessly and very quickly and the next i have issues. By no means am i concerned or irritated by this issue but i thought it might be better to reach out for some feedback to see if anyone else had any similar issues. The sites i have trouble with are bookmarked so i thought maybe that could have something to do with it. Thanks again.

mymac2012

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Here is your fix

I have been noticing that some pages are taking longer to load in Safari than they have in the past. I know it’s highly unlikely if at all possible to get viruses on a Mac but is malware and spyware possible? The worst part is these pages are pages that I frequently go to and it’s quite annoying. I downloaded Google Chrome and it seems to be the same with Chrome so I don’t think it is necessarily Safari related. Does anyone have any suggestions for possible solutions? I am brand new to OSX as this is my first Mac coming from Windows for years and this is nothing new to me as it is common on windows and almost expected but I was under the assumption that I shouldn’t be facing these issues on my macbook air. Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem and spoke with Apple Care (those guys are great) I have a MacBook Air which was purchased a few months ago and here is what they did to solve the problem. Seems you and I are experiencing the same problem with slow pages loading in Safari (and Firefox for me)

I can't go step by step but basically, create a "test" username to see if your pages load quickly.

If so, then at least we know it's specific to the username you are using.

Now, go to Network preferences and highlight wifi on left
(make sure lock is unlocked)

click on TCP/IP tab

click on Renew DHCP Lease now go back to wifi tab on same screen (next to TCP/IP tab)

highlight your wifi network then click on minus button

now click on OK and Apply

Basically, what you're doing is resetting wifi or something like that, forgive not that computer literate. Anyways, after doing this, my Air loads as it did when I first bought it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.