Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Hey guys,

I'm having trouble accessing some stuff that should be in my library folder.
I can access my general library folder in ~/library but not my user specific one in ~/users/orun/ (orun is my username).

I can navigate to it in unix
cd /users/orun/library
open .

But it just isn't there in Finder.. what gives?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
To get to your /Library or ~/Library folder in Lion, launch Finder and click Go > Go to Folder and type: /Library or ~/Library

You can also reach your ~/Library folder by holding the Option key while clicking the Go menu item, which reveals your ~/Library folder in the menu.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you want, you can run the command below in Terminal and it will unhide the ~/Library folder. Then you can see it in a normal Finder window.

Each time a point OS release comes out though it gets hidden again and you will need to run the command.

Code:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can also use in the Finder
Click the Go menu, then Go to Folder if you don't want to change the flags.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
But it just isn't there in Finder.. what gives?

It looks like you got some good advice here from the worthies, but the answer to the "what gives?" question is: For Lion, Apple decided they didn't want users mucking about in their Library directory with Finder. Apparently they felt it too risky for those that don't know what they're doing. Obviously you can still easily get to it via CLI; Apple probably figured that anyone poking around via CLI already knows what they're doing.

In other words: protect the end users from themselves. For better, for worse...

jas

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In other words: protect the end users from themselves. For better, for worse…
My issue is that they took 7 versions of OSX to decide the people should not have access to that folder?

Seems a little over zealous and closed minded

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
My issue is that they took 7 versions of OSX to decide the people should not have access to that folder?

I'm not sure I have a cogent answer to your point, really. There are a number of things Apple does with OS X that I scratch my head about. This is just another one of those things to put on the list. Thankfully they have work-arounds for it, even if said work-arounds are sub-optimal.

jas

orvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto, Canada
If you want, you can run the command below in Terminal and it will unhide the ~/Library folder. Then you can see it in a normal Finder window.

Each time a point OS release comes out though it gets hidden again and you will need to run the command.

Code:

Thank you! That's what I was looking for.

It looks like you got some good advice here from the worthies, but the answer to the "what gives?" question is: For Lion, Apple decided they didn't want users mucking about in their Library directory with Finder. Apparently they felt it too risky for those that don't know what they're doing. Obviously you can still easily get to it via CLI; Apple probably figured that anyone poking around via CLI already knows what they're doing.

In other words: protect the end users from themselves. For better, for worse...

jas

So the system library folder remains unhidden while the user library is hidden? Why not hide both?

Not to mention sudden and unwarranted.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
So the system library folder remains unhidden while the user library is hidden? Why not hide both?

That's actually a good question and I can only assume it has to do with permissions. If you set your normal user up such that it can't administer the box (which is how I set mine up), then even if you can see the /Library and /System/Library directories, you can't write anything to them. Unlike your ~/Library where you could conceivably mess everything up.

Again, just a guess.

jas

orvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto, Canada
A bit like this thread. ;)

hey!

----------

That's actually a good question and I can only assume it has to do with permissions. If you set your normal user up such that it can't administer the box (which is how I set mine up), then even if you can see the /Library and /System/Library directories, you can't write anything to them. Unlike your ~/Library where you could conceivably mess everything up.

Again, just a guess.

jas

Reasonable guess.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I'm not sure I have a cogent answer to your point, really. There are a number of things Apple does with OS X that I scratch my head about. This is just another one of those things to put on the list. Thankfully they have work-arounds for it, even if said work-arounds are sub-optimal.

jas
Probably in response to a spike in Support calls from users who broke something by mucking around in their library folders.

dknightd

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2004

Code:

Bummer. I would not have guessed a point release would mess with user account settings.

adelec

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
Something else to try

I located the library as described (thanks!), then added it to the sidebar using the option on the file menu (CMD t). Has made is readily accessible - time will tell if it survives an update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.