Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
How do you install Windows without a DVD drive? Remote Disc does not seem to work for installing Windows from my Mac Mini... Please help. Thank you.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I think the easiest way is via the Macbook Air Superdrive.. not too sure if there are any alternatives =\

USB with the .iso maybe? Maybe you can just install through OSX with a .iso? Not sure.

PittAir

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
I just did this today. Boot Camp Assistant asks you whether you want to make a windows USB stick and add the Boot Camp drivers as well.

You format a 4 GB stick in FAT32 and away you go. You will need an iso of Windows 7 (download) for this.

Then run Boot Camp Assistant and it will install Windows 7 from your usb stick.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Ok, so for this, I can use remote disc to make an iso of my Windows cd and place the ISO on my desktop, correct? Thanks.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Ok, so for this, I can use remote disc to make an iso of my Windows cd and place the ISO on my desktop, correct? Thanks.

Then burn the iso to a usb flash drive and make sure it is bootable!

I created my bootable usb flash drive from an iso on a win machine.

PittAir

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
Then burn the iso to a usb flash drive and make sure it is bootable!

I created my bootable usb flash drive from an iso on a win machine.

You don't (and shouldn't burn the windows iso. Boot Camp Assistant does it for you and adds files to allow the usb to boot.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
It seriously could not be easier! You just make an image file from an install disk, and use Bootcamp assistant to turn any portable disk into a bootable installation disk. I would not recommend using a standard USB stick tho, since they tend to be REALLY slow! I have a USB drive that I made into my windows restore disk, It has my windows installer, all the drivers I need, and my steam backup.

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
Did it a couple of days ago and it couldn't have been easier. Insert a USB drive, start bootcamp, select the Windows 7 Image and let it do the rest! It will prepare the USB drive with the ISO file, download all necessary drivers, restart the mac and start the windows installation.. 'Just works' :)

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I just did as all of you suggested and the option to Create a Windows Install Disk is greyed out...

I made an iso of my Windows 7 CD and stuck my usb drive in (formatted for ms-dos, master boot record), 16gigs).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

PittAir

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
I just did as all of you suggested and the option to Create a Windows Install Disk is greyed out...

I made an iso of my Windows 7 CD and stuck my usb drive in (formatted for ms-dos, master boot record), 16gigs).

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reformat it with Disk Utility in FAT32 if you have not already and retry.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
You can't format it FAT32 in disk utility. Only Fat16 or some other FAT... However, I reformatted it and its still not working.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
You can't format it FAT32 in disk utility. Only Fat16 or some other FAT... However, I reformatted it and its still not working.

First, I recommend using a 8gb stick, not a 4gb. Bootcamp will load the Win ISO and a bunch of drivers during the process so you need >4gb since that's the approximate size of the ISO alone.

For the formatting, you could do it manually but if I remember correctly, Bootcamp will do it for you. Be sure the Win ISO is on your desktop so Bootcamp can find it or it will appear greyed out.

----------

Is there any way to install Windows using only remote disk or no?

No, this is not supported. I researched this on Apple.com and it says it can't be done. It makes sense since the remote disc is a software thing and you're rebooting from one OS to another.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I'm using a 16gig and the iso is on my desktop... Still greyed out... The way I created the iso was in Disk Utility, then create image, then I chose DVD Master, then I renamed the extension from .cdr to .iso.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Would it not work if I currently have Windows installed on the machine I'm trying to create a usb install disk on? I'm using another mac (with a cd drive) that has windows installed using boot camp to make this usb install disk for my macbook air... Or would that not cause that option to be greyed out? Thanks.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
The way I did it was to put the ISO on a 4gb USB stick. I put that in one USB port. I then put a blank 8gb USB stick in the other USB port. Started boot camp and walked away. I only had to do anything when it came time to download drivers. Worked like a charm for me. 2011 13" MBA.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Weird... So Bootcamp was looking for the ISO on the thumbdrive. For some reason, it doesn't think its on my desktop, but it is...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.