Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Peasant? Excuse me?

Look here, kid. I'm sorry that I don't feel the need to brag about how much money I'm throwing away on a frakin' chair. I'm also sorry that I didn't come here specifically to make myself feel better by bashing other people.

In other words, shut up and grow up. If you actually are an adult, here's some practical advice: don't be such a dick.
I lol'ed. In a previous life we would be good friends Alaerian.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
What does that have to do with anything? I hadn't posted in this thread until just now. I'm well-aware of who you quoted. Whether you're insulting me or anyone else doesn't matter - you're still being condescending and obnoxious.

Back on topic after an addition to my mental ignore list:
I'm curious to know what he used also. I don't have any intention of "OMG I NEED STEVE'S CHAIR," but it is intriguing. You figure that there were many an hour spent in that chair, so it had to have been something comfortable. With his taste and weight on design, I'd also imagine there would be some amount of "style" to it as well.

I'd love to look for a new desk chair for myself. I've got my eye on one from Office Depot that's similar to an Aeron, but much less expensive.

Last edited:

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
you're still being condescending and obnoxious.

It's not my fault that people here don't understand classic/fine/well-designed furniture. Steve would have (original topic), just like he understood the value in a 2k€ Miele washing machine.

:facepalm:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sometimes the internet can be hard ... it is ok, let me help.

acidfast7, you were calling someone a peasant and dismissive in a post because they did not see the point of buying an Eames chair.
Alaerian was saying, in so many words, that no one is impressed with how much money you say you have and I agree. Most people who have money don't feel the need to incessantly brag about it. Then he (or she) went on to hand out sage advice by telling you not to be a dick. I then mentioned how funny I found the entire post and when I find something funny it is often because I find it true. Then Alaerian was taking the equivalent of a bow on the internet with the last post made and that is when you seemed to have gotten a bit lost. Now, I get that but it is not uncommon for one poster to quote another post and make a comment about it even if that quoted post wasn't even directed toward them.

Am I right?

Now quit it with your blanket statements that "people don't understand" because not everyone here is in that boat. I personally do understand. I was introduced to their work when I wrote curriculum for a course on interior furnishings. So not everyone "doesn't get it" but some just don't give a ****.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Sure, you can waste your life an a 40 USD chair, if you wish, but I'm in a position to not have to do that. I guess that I can't expect a peasant to understand wht the Eames actually accomplished. But, for future reference, you should actually understand why they did what they did and what was accomplished before being so dismissive.

One last thing, who benefits from you buying your craptastic 40USD IKEA? No one, in fact. When I spend 2000€ on an Eames Executive Chair from Vitra, new designers are supported by the a percentage of the profit, which will result in the next generation of furniture design.

LOLOLOL

And who benefits when you waste $3000 on a chair? Hint: it's not you, just like it's not the woman who bought the gaudy $5000 handbag advertisement for someone they know nothing about.;)

But, perhaps you just aren't enough in demand to be out of the house doing productive things, and thus you need an expensive chair to park your ass in at home all day while the rest of the world keeps ticking. I don't spend more than an hour a day in my chair--far better things to do in this world than sit at my desk at home.

And finally, I bet you live paycheck to paycheck--afterall, those who brag about blowing wads of money usually do. The loudest one in the room is usually the weakest one in the room. Only someone who can't really afford $3000 for a chair would brag about wasting $3000 on a chair.

lol

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Wow, "I am better than you because I own a fancy chair" is the new thing on MacRumors huh. XD

I have a $100 chair I think I purchased at Staples? Maybe it was Office Max, I can't really remember.. whatever it was, it's the best office chair I've ever owned - something like 6 years later the leather is all ripped up and stuff where it hit the table, and the gas tube that holds it up at a given height isn't that reliable, but the rest of the chair is still holding up great. XD

I replaced it with a funnier looking (meh) chair from Office Depot for $50. It's ok, not sure if it'll hold up as well. These things are still way more comfy than the $20 kind you get at Wal-mart, so whatever.

However I think people that use $20 chairs are awesome. Even better, if you find a nice chair at target on 75% off clearance. THAT is cool :D

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's not unlike a Timex and a Rolex. They both work well.

I concur. Here's my take, based on personal experience as a watch enthusiast. My collection spans all brands & price points, just for fun.

A Timex is a value priced, accurate watch.

A Rolex is a luxury timepiece, that's less than accurate between service intervals.

Each excels at it's designated purpose, and sells well within their own specific target markets.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Pssh, got you all beat! Its so high up, but it makes it easier to look down at others.
stack_of_money1222831744.jpg

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
can we vote people off the island?

its a chair. you want a steve jobs chair? put an apple sticker on it.

You can find a perfectly good chair for less than $300! and thats a lot.

How do you know when someone drives a BMW? they will tell you. same goes with tool's that buy $2000 chairs obviously.:p

Oh, and I found a white leather chair on CRAIGSLIST of all places brand new for $200 that looked just like the brown leather ones pictured above. That means I supported someone who was selling it and needed money, I have now "funded" someone.

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
Apple snobbs being snobs about something else? Can't say I really find that surprising.

(btw, I drive a BMW, booyah)

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
LOL

http://www.vitra.com/en-us/designers/

i guess i can't expect you to understand how vitra. funds designers because you've probably never been "funded" for anything.

hint: it sounds like "have to go to work." sorry for that.

sounds exactly like what a lowly peasant with no self esteem would say. but then again, I really don't expect someone with your low intelligence would understand or even comprehend.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
best invention since sliced bread. :D

ScreenShot2012-01-30at43851PM.png

Unlike liquor, this tool should be used liberally and NOT in moderation.

Now, back to topic. I myself can't stand chairs with a metal armrest, looks cheesy. I LOOOOVE ones with plastic or rubber armrests like the Herman Miller Aerons.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I worked at a company some years ago that provided the Herman Miller Aeron chairs for its employees. It was super comfortable and I loved it.

Not to say that I wouldn't find another comfortable chair for less than the Aeron cost, but you can't go wrong with the Aeron.

eject

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
London
Calm down people... Personally I spend more time sat on my ass working than anything else, therefore my seating comfort is more important to me - I researched many many chairs including the Aeron (which I nearly purchased) I didnt find it as comfortable as I wanted, I also found the plastic arm ok, but a bit too smooth and kind of slimey. But that is being really picky! Aeron is a great chair (obviously) I went in for the 'teknion' contessa — I've had it for 8 years and its around the same price as the Aeron, infact a but more expensive if you go for the leather seat as opposed to mesh. Either way it suited me and I have gotten the most amazing value and comfort from this chair, its an absolute pleasure to sit in every day, I never take it for granted. I also wouldn't swap it for anything else.

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=322303&stc=1&d=1327963156

http://www.teknion.com/products/sea...&section=seating&subsection=works&product=al3

Back to what chair did Steve use, what is wrong with asking this? its interesting! the man had inpecable taste and understood design more than most. If a $40 chair works for you then thats super, but don't slag off people just for being interested in chair design. Chair design is product design and goes hand in hand with any Apple product, watch Gary Hustwit's 'Objectified' (2009).

Its a shame people on here are judging others for spending money on a good quality chair for their career of sitting down at a desk to support their back.

Attachments

• teknion-Contessa1.jpg
    teknion-Contessa1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
Calm down people... Personally I spend more time sat on my ass working than anything else, therefore my seating comfort is more important to me - I researched many many chairs including the Aeron (which I nearly purchased) I didnt find it as comfortable as I wanted, I also found the plastic arm ok, but a bit too smooth and kind of slimey. But that is being really picky! Aeron is a great chair (obviously) I went in for the 'teknion' contessa — I've had it for 8 years and its around the same price as the Aeron, infact a but more expensive if you go for the leather seat as opposed to mesh. Either way it suited me and I have gotten the most amazing value and comfort from this chair, its an absolute pleasure to sit in every day, I never take it for granted. I also wouldn't swap it for anything else.

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=322303&stc=1&d=1327963156

http://www.teknion.com/products/sea...&section=seating&subsection=works&product=al3

Back to what chair did Steve use, what is wrong with asking this? its interesting! the man had inpecable taste and understood design more than most. If a $40 chair works for you then thats super, but don't slag off people just for being interested in chair design. Chair design is product design and goes hand in hand with any Apple product, watch Gary Hustwit's 'Objectified' (2009).

Its a shame people on here are judging others for spending money on a good quality chair for their career of sitting down at a desk to support their back.

Thats a nice positive attitude and making an expensive chair last for that long seems worth the investment. but some people were trying to base the money they spend on the chair on how cool it makes them look. I too spend a lot of time sitting at my desk but i do not have the money to spend on a quality chair like those.

Apple snobbs being snobs about something else? Can't say I really find that surprising.

(btw, I drive a BMW, booyah)

well you are off to a fantastic start here. keep it up.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

An excellent, thoughtful, positive and informative post.

And I agree with your main points. There is nothing wrong with admiring & appreciating good design, nor in seeking it out; most on MR like and admire Apple products, thus one assumes that an appreciation of design aesthetic is something of a given.

Likewise, when sitting at a desk for long periods of time for work, idling or for pleasure, there is nothing wrong with wanting - or needing - a comfortable, ergonomically designed chair; and neither is there anything wrong with noting what the late inestimable Mr Jobs sat on when pondering on how to change the world in the areas he dreamed of doing so.

However, to confuse - or equate - the amount of money spent on something with the possession of a sense of taste or appreciation of quality is to contrive to miss the point completely, except, perhaps, as a vulgar expression of the crassest form of materialism.

Seriously, a good chair is a good chair. Let us enjoy and appreciate well-designed furniture and try to keep issues of how they stand as status symbols aside. Above all, deriding people and expressing contempt for those who make different purchasing choices, - usually for their own very good reasons - is neither nice nor courteous.

As a general observation, however, one of the most depressing things of this aspect of the discussion is how secretaries (usually but not always, female) - often the least well-paid members of an organisation,- are expected to sit glued to their appallingly poorly designed pieces of office furniture and toil away at their desks for long hours, while their bosses, who do not actually need excellent office equipment, enjoy the benefit such by virtue of the position they hold.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
As a general observation, however, one of the most depressing things of this aspect of the discussion is how secretaries (usually but not always, female) - often the least well-paid members of an organisation,- are expected to sit glued to their appallingly poorly designed pieces of office furniture and toil away at their desks for long hours, while their bosses, who do not actually need excellent office equipment, enjoy the benefit such by virtue of the position they hold.
Exactly this. I AM a secretary, and I have the crappiest chair in the office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.