Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

media123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
I have no idea what is going on. I read threads after threads showing 2 power connectors for video card upgrade on my Mac Pro early 2008. Here is a picture of what my motherboard looks like. Can someone tell me if I can put a Radeon 4870 or 6870 card in my Mac Pro - needs 2 power connectors. Is the other black connector missing?

macpro_connectors.jpg

Last edited:

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
It looks like the pins are there to the right of the one black connector you have, just the black piece is missing, strange. Did you buy your MP new or used?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Missing piece. Do you still have AppleCare? That should count as an obvious manufacturing defect.

I wonder if a second cable would work anyway, held in place by friction of the pin connectors instead of the black plastic connector.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Missing piece. Do you still have AppleCare? That should count as an obvious manufacturing defect.

I wonder if a second cable would work anyway, held in place by friction of the pin connectors instead of the black plastic connector.

no, female connector pin holes are still larger I think
but maybe, wouldn't be safe for moving the machine around though

pcie-connectors.jpg

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I was thinking it may be too much draw on the PS and possibly cause the connector to burn out.

media123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Trip to the apple store

I think your right. Looks like I will be making a trip (hopefully not too expensive) to the apple store and see what they think.

Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.