Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
How to get empty page on iPhone, so that I will have apps on the home and 2nd page, leave 3rd page blank with no apps and then apps on the 4th page. If I try doing this setup, it doesn't leave 3rd page to be empty and so end up with 3 pages with apps but no blank page in between.
BTW, I'm trying to do this to show the wallpaper without cluttering with apps on top.

coolhands

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
If you are jailbroken, check out the app called iBlank. It lets you make blank icons, but requires WinterBoard to remove the icon shadow.

googdot

macrumors regular
I'm not jailbroken and I have my first page blank, with my apps on the second page.

One thing though - whenever I sync to iTunes it reverts back to all the apps on the first page, so I just select all and drop them back onto page 2 after the sync and it's all good.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
How do you do that? On my iPhone it doesn't keep blank page.
Also, is it possible to select multiple apps simultaneously and move them to 2nd page?

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
You could put them in a folder, move folder to second page and then move them out one by one...

Would be the obvious but kind of annoying solution I would use.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
WRONG!!! Mine is not JB!!! I have a blank page!!!

Here is the way I have mine, it's easy to do. You should try it. It gives the phone a nice clean look. Just drag all apps into a folder (if you want) then drag the folders to the right and create a second page, the first is now blank. Mine as seen below!

Todd

i-vpD5cv5-XL.jpg

AND THE SECOND PAGE:

i-4tSTWZR-XL.jpg

googdot

macrumors regular
How do you do that? On my iPhone it doesn't keep blank page.
Also, is it possible to select multiple apps simultaneously and move them to 2nd page?

You can select multiple apps in iTunes. Here's what I do:

- Connect and sync phone in iTunes. This will 'delete' my blank page I've setup and move all my apps to the first page.

- Select the phone in the menu on the left and then click on the apps tab. You'll now see your phone and screens. In my case, all my apps are now on page 1 and page 2 is blank.

- Hold the command key (⌘) and click each app I want to move, EXCEPT ONE. This is the key - leave one app on the screen that you eventually want to be your blank screen. Then move all the apps you've selected in one go to the screen you want them on.

- Click apply in the bottom right. You can now close iTunes or unplug your phone - just make sure you don't (or will need to) sync it again.

- On your iphone, go to the screen that you want to be blank. It should have just the one app on it - move this app to another screen. This will leave a blank page on the phone - until you need to sync again, in which case you need to follow the steps above once more.

I find this to be fairly easy and it becomes habitual - I just do it after every sync and it only takes a few seconds. Much better than manually moving the icons on the iphone afterwards (which is what I used to do).

Hope this helps!

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Nope?? Incorrect....

That is incorrect. You can make a blank page with an un JB iPhone. I know because I did it.

----------

That's different from how I do mine. Mine stays blank on the first page even after I sync my iPhone. The apps don't return to the first page unless I reboot the phone. I just drag mine on the phone itself, not iTunes.

T

You can select multiple apps in iTunes. Here's what I do:

- Connect and sync phone in iTunes. This will 'delete' my blank page I've setup and move all my apps to the first page.

- Select the phone in the menu on the left and then click on the apps tab. You'll now see your phone and screens. In my case, all my apps are now on page 1 and page 2 is blank.

- Hold the command key (⌘) and click each app I want to move, EXCEPT ONE. This is the key - leave one app on the screen that you eventually want to be your blank screen. Then move all the apps you've selected in one go to the screen you want them on.

- Click apply in the bottom right. You can now close iTunes or unplug your phone - just make sure you don't (or will need to) sync it again.

- On your iphone, go to the screen that you want to be blank. It should have just the one app on it - move this app to another screen. This will leave a blank page on the phone - until you need to sync again, in which case you need to follow the steps above once more.

I find this to be fairly easy and it becomes habitual - I just do it after every sync and it only takes a few seconds. Much better than manually moving the icons on the iphone afterwards (which is what I used to do).

Hope this helps!

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
That is incorrect. You can make a blank page with an un JB iPhone. I know because I did it.

----------

That's different from how I do mine. Mine stays blank on the first page even after I sync my iPhone. The apps don't return to the first page unless I reboot the phone. I just drag mine on the phone itself, not iTunes.

T

You're not able to get it to stay that way. A reboot or sync means you've got to do it, again. Seems like a PIA to me.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
A sync does not mess it up, but rebooting will make the apps return to the first page. It's no big deal, takes 1 minute or less to move them back over. iOS 4 was not like that, it stayed no matter what. not sure what happened with ios 5 but hopefully it will get fixed. It is not a pain to move them back... I guess it would be for those that are lazy? I'm one of those who chooses not to JB the iPhone. To me, that's a lame thing to do. It might be cool for those of you who like it, but I don't want it JB.

T

You're not able to get it to stay that way. A reboot or sync means you've got to do it, again. Seems like a PIA to me.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
A sync does not mess it up, but rebooting will make the apps return to the first page. It's no big deal, takes 1 minute or less to move them back over. iOS 4 was not like that, it stayed no matter what. not sure what happened with ios 5 but hopefully it will get fixed. It is not a pain to move them back... I guess it would be for those that are lazy? I'm one of those who chooses not to JB the iPhone. To me, that's a lame thing to do. It might be cool for those of you who like it, but I don't want it JB.

T

I don't jailbreak and I'm far from lazy, but brilliant assumptions.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I don't jailbreak and I'm far from lazy, but brilliant assumptions.

Sorry, I wasn't saying that you were lazy, I stated that because I have friends that are. I'm sure there are others too that complain about the iPhone, some are never satisfied.

T

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Ok, so it looks like you can have blank home (1st) page, but not blank 2nd or 3rd page. I usually keep most commonly used apps on the home page and so want to have blank 2nd or 3rd page, is it possible to do?
Home page seems to behave differently than other pages..:apple:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
You could always bookmark a blank Safari icon and keep it on the first page. I think there are some sites that do that out there, try Googling them.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Sorry, I wasn't saying that you were lazy, I stated that because I have friends that are. I'm sure there are others too that complain about the iPhone, some are never satisfied.

T

LOL! I know a lot of people like that.

For the record the iPhone is the first phone I'm not complaining about!!!

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
Via MacWorld:

Launch Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

In the URL field, type about:blank and then tap Go to “open” that page…which will be completely blank.

Tap the Share button (the one at the bottom of the screen that looks like a rectangle with an arrow).

Tap Add To Home Screen to create a Home-screen bookmark for this blank page.

In the dialog that appears, give the icon a descriptive name. (I chose New Page for mine.)

The Home-screen bookmark is saved to your device’s Home screen, where you can move it wherever you like. On my iPad and iPhone, I’ve moved this bookmark to my first Home screen, relegating the actual Safari icon to a folder of rarely used stock apps, where it hangs out with Compass, Notes, and Stocks.

The New Page icon (lower-right) on my Home screen
Whenever you want to open Safari to view a new page, you simply tap this New Page icon on your Home screen. Safari opens—instantly—to a blank page, ready for you to type a URL or open a bookmark.

Another benefit of this tip is that if you were planning to keep currently open pages handy (meaning you were really going to open a new Safari page), you avoid not only having to wait for a page to reload, but also the extra steps of tapping Safari’s multiple-pages button and then the New Page button. And it avoids the aforementioned annoyance of your Bookmarks list popping up on its own whenever you launch Safari after previously closing all Safari windows.

What if you want to open Safari to view a previously opened page? You can tap the Safari icon, as usual. Or if, like me, you’ve buried the browser’s icon in a folder, you can simply access Safari from iOS’s multi-tasking dock (by double-pressing the Home button). For me, this approach closely mirrors my actual Safari use anyway: Nine times out of ten, if I want to look at a page already open in Safari, I open Safari from the multi-tasking dock. I can continue to do that, but if I want to go directly to a new page, I use my New Page icon on the Home Screen.

The biggest drawback to this tip for some people is that the icon for this blank-page bookmark is, appropriately enough, blank. Unfortunately, there’s no way to give it a better-looking icon, since URL-bookmark icons are adapted from each Website’s favicon. An alternate approach would be to publish, somewhere on the Web, a blank Web page with a nice favicon—say, a Safari icon with a blank-page badge?—and then create a Home-screen bookmark to that page. Of course, loading that page wouldn’t be as fast as opening about:blank, but it would likely still be much faster than the current Safari behavior of reloading an older “real” Web page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.