Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Any clue on the easiest method to unlock the Sprint/Verizon version of the iPhone 4S for use on the T-Mobile or AT&T network? I have Sprint on my work phone and T-Mobile for my personal line.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Sprint was selling the phones unlocked on contract for about 2 months after launch. Their policy, now, is that they will unlock (by request) after X amount of time has passed since you have the phone. I am not sure what that timeframe is. I want to say 6 months, though don't quote me on that part.

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Sprint was selling the phones unlocked on contract for about 2 months after launch. Their policy, now, is that they will unlock (by request) after X amount of time has passed since you have the phone. I am not sure what that timeframe is. I want to say 6 months, though don't quote me on that part.

How does one know if they have an unlocked Sprint iPhone?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

They will unlock only for international use, not for TMo/AT&T.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
They will unlock only for international use, not for TMo/AT&T.

Unlocked is unlocked. You WILL be able to use it in the states... So long as the phone isn't currently activated on Sprint's network. When asking for the unlock, I certainly don't recommend saying "Hey, I am jumping ship to AT&T", though!

----------

How does one know if they have an unlocked Sprint iPhone?

You pop a sim in and see if it works! That's the easiest way, lol. There may be another way, in fact I am sure there is, but I just don't know it.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
It's 90 days that your account must be in good standing for them to unlock it for you.

Any 4S that was bought and activated before 11/11 is unlocked, those purchased/activated on 11/11, or after are locked.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Unlocked is unlocked. You WILL be able to use it in the states... So long as the phone isn't currently activated on Sprint's network.
I'm not sure how it works for Sprint, but this is false for the Verizon iPhone 4S.

The VZW iPhone 4S has an MNC/MCC restriction preventing use of US network SIMs, even if the phone is unlocked by Verizon. You can still use foreign SIMs and roam on AT&T/T-Mobile in the US, though.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Unlocked is unlocked. You WILL be able to use it in the states... So long as the phone isn't currently activated on Sprint's network. When asking for the unlock, I certainly don't recommend saying "Hey, I am jumping ship to AT&T", though!

Can't say for Sprint, but on Verizon it appears this is not the case. All info I've found says that Verizon's unlock will allow only foreign SIMs. For example this tutorial here on MR:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1274057/

Will I be able to use my phone on AT&T and T-Mobile after unlocking?
No, this unlock still does not allow use with any other USA carriers but it will with any other GSM carriers outside the states.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm not sure how it works for Sprint, but this is false for the Verizon iPhone 4S.

It seems you are correct, and I was not. From Sprint:

Sprint’s policy is to have the iPhone 4S SIM locked to our network domestically and internationally. At launch, the International SIM will be unlocked. We do expect a SIM lock to be pushed to the devices shortly after launch. We will then allow existing customers in good standing to unlock the SIM for international use if needed in the future.

grimloch

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
Now that the 4S is jailbroken is it likely the Sprint and Verizon versions will be unlocked for domestic GSM networks?

russell2

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
u cant different signa tmobile gms sprint verizon cdma

Signa = signal
Gms = gsm

And you can all 4S incorporate a sim slot and the ability to use CDMA or GSM though Verizon and Sprint won't activate a att 4S on their network unlocked or not

But AT&T couldn't give a ratsass they'll give anyone a sim card and if you've unlocked your Verizon or sprint 4s when the unlock becomes available you will be able to use it as AT&T or tmobile iPhone

Go masflow sumwere else n only ta bout wha u kno daw kk it can use diff signa! Gsm

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
the answer is no it won't work....a foreign sim possibly but then you'd be roaming...already confirmed this with AT&T they have stated to me that ANY iPhones operating on their network won't come from Sprint or Verizon...a foreign GSM iPhone that's unlocked YES

testdrive

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
I bought a new sprint iphone 4s. I didn't activate it on the sprint network as thats when the carrier locked is placed on the phone. I inserted a t-mobile sim card and it came with the screen with a long message basically saying "sim card will not work, use another international sim" which means iphone is unlocked right? If i get a international sim card, put it in, activate phone via wifi and then after activation, pull that out and put in the t-mobile one, will it work using tmobile or still give same error?

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
I bought a new sprint iphone 4s. I didn't activate it on the sprint network as thats when the carrier locked is placed on the phone. I inserted a t-mobile sim card and it came with the screen with a long message basically saying "sim card will not work, use another international sim" which means iphone is unlocked right? If i get a international sim card, put it in, activate phone via wifi and then after activation, pull that out and put in the t-mobile one, will it work using tmobile or still give same error?

The Sprint 4S is locked to Sprint and can only be unlocked for international use, after your account has been in good standing for 30 days....so no!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Like verwon said your iphone is locked to sprint and will never work with Tmobile USA.
If it is unlocked its for outside the US and that's if you bought it any time before they started locking the GSM side of you requested Sprint to unlock it for international GSM use only.

pezasied182

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
Applenberry claim to have an unlock for a CDMA 4S to work on local GSM networks, but they're currently getting the bugs out of it.

Wilsonium

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
CDMA Carrier Unlock for 4s.

The way I understood it, all the USA iPhone 4s phones use identical hardware and differ only by the firmware inside. Last I knew there were 4 iterations of firmware. Sprint, Verizon, TMobile and Apple. Due to agreements with Apple, the carrier specific versions will only work on their network domestically through a carrier lock with at least 2 settings. First, a stock device from AT&T, VZW or Sprint will only work on their networks domestically and internationally on the networks they have agreements with. Sprint and Verizon will partially unlock the carrier lock and allow for non-domestic GSM roaming using your own SIM card. This is not the same as having your phone unlocked for any SIM.

The unlocked 4s, available thru Apple, has the most flexibility and can use any GSM carrier. I understand that both Sprint and Verizon have policies about allowing non-branded ESNs on their network with Sprint being most flexible and Verizon barring them all together.

All that being said, it's been a while since I did any research and there might be updates in the future. Ultimately what I'd like to be able to do is use one device for both my Verizon and TMobile accounts rather than carry two cell phones... but I'm not holding my breath.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
The way I understood it, all the USA iPhone 4s phones use identical hardware and differ only by the firmware inside. Last I knew there were 4 iterations of firmware. Sprint, Verizon, TMobile and Apple. Due to agreements with Apple, the carrier specific versions will only work on their network domestically through a carrier lock with at least 2 settings. First, a stock device from AT&T, VZW or Sprint will only work on their networks domestically and internationally on the networks they have agreements with. Sprint and Verizon will partially unlock the carrier lock and allow for non-domestic GSM roaming using your own SIM card. This is not the same as having your phone unlocked for any SIM.

The unlocked 4s, available thru Apple, has the most flexibility and can use any GSM carrier. I understand that both Sprint and Verizon have policies about allowing non-branded ESNs on their network with Sprint being most flexible and Verizon barring them all together.

All that being said, it's been a while since I did any research and there might be updates in the future. Ultimately what I'd like to be able to do is use one device for both my Verizon and TMobile accounts rather than carry two cell phones... but I'm not holding my breath.

Ok isn't that the same thing people had already posted. Kinda redundant is my point but hey why not dig up old threads and sumerize all of them. :rolleyes:

Toushirou1989

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
how is that even posble. both vrizon and sprint use cdma for there networks and t-moble and att use gsm cant have a vrizon phone on a att or t-moble phone. iphone 4s does not have both cdma and gsm cell chips in there hardware

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.