Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
What is the best monitor available for use with a Mac Pro? Is it the 27" screen that looks like an iMac, or is there something a bit bigger available that has at least the same resolution? Both through Apple or otherwise...?

What do the absolute-pro's use?

Thank you!

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
Huge question. Lots of previous discussion if you search this forum and others.

Much of it depends on what you want to use it for - photography, music production, engineering ...

There is also the question of how many monitors. I use two because that's what I need.

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
What do you need in a monitor? The 27" ACDs are fantastic. I like it better than my older 30" ACD. The newer styling is nice, but mostly I like the built-in camera and the slightly finer DPI.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I use the HP Dreamcolor. Developed in conjuction with DreamWorks Animation specifically for the needs of the Visual Effects professional. It's very nice indeed.
The sad thing is that Apple's lackluster videocard drivers are not updated to handle a 10-bits per channel throughput even though the hardware is fully capable of delivering it to the display. So using it under OSX is less ideal (visible banding can occur in smooth gradients) than when running it under Windows, unfortunately.

Rumour has it that HP will come out with an updated Dreamcolor early in 2012.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
What do you need in a monitor? The 27" ACDs are fantastic. I like it better than my older 30" ACD. The newer styling is nice, but mostly I like the built-in camera and the slightly finer DPI.

I will mostly be using it for Photoshop (semi-pro) and watching a LOT of movies, and really enjoy HD and/or Blu Ray, which I understand that iMac's dont play Blu Ray, so I want the best HD monitor that's less than say $2,000 used. If there's nothing that much better than the 27" iMac type monitor, then I will just stick with that, but I didnt know if there was something by Apple or commonly used with Mac's that a lot of people used...

Right now I use a 30" LED HD Insignia monitor, but if I'm not mistaken the 27" iMac type monitor seems to have an even crisper picture... thanks for all the input, I appreciate it especially after googling and searching the forums...

So there's not really anything with a nicer picture (or as nice) for a tiny bit more out there, is there...?

Thanks again!

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
what is the resolution of ur 30inch if it is 2560X1600 then it will have a slightly lower pixel density then the 27inch apple display but will have more pixels your display is pretty good and there is no pioint in uopgading if it is this resolution'

if it is not the 27 inch apple display is just stunning with ups and led and the dpi is amazing with the glossy screen too i have the iMac 27 2011 and love it i would recommend the screen to anyone

bengle3rt

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I'm currently using an Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display. It's quite nice.

Unless you know something we don't, the current Mac Pro can't drive that model - only the older LED Cinema Display. Same panel/backlight/exterior design, of course, just different electronics.

Caraj

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Unless you know something we don't, the current Mac Pro can't drive that model - only the older LED Cinema Display. Same panel/backlight/exterior design, of course, just different electronics.

wish I read this before I purchased it!. Oh well back to best buy. And I freaking asked the best buy worker if its compatible..

Caraj

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
YEP. Just got back from the Apple Store with my shiny new Cinema 27. So far I like it. Gotta get used to the tiny text at 2560 X 1440 either that or my eyes are going bad. I tried 1920 X 1080 but it is not as clear for sure.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Currently we're using Apple Cinema 30s, 24s and 22s. We will get the 27s but not by choice :p.
The Dell U2711 at 27" has been the best bang for the buck for both platforms here.
We're using Mac Pro's from 2006 to 2010 for all Graphics/Motion/Web/NLE/DAW.
As well as Dell T5500 and Boxx 8400 for 3D work.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
YEP. Just got back from the Apple Store with my shiny new Cinema 27. So far I like it. Gotta get used to the tiny text at 2560 X 1440 either that or my eyes are going bad. I tried 1920 X 1080 but it is not as clear for sure.

How did you get it to work with your Mac Pro without thunderbolt port?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well if you plan on plugging in a Bluray player or something, I would recommend a Dell U2711 or a U3011, both which come with many input options whilst offering an antiglare finish.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010

Yes. I am hoping for good things from PLS as S-IPS has stagnated and fractured to the e-IPS lines and 6-bit dithering. Not too much to choose from these days that have any speed and low input lag as well. The last batch of these 1st gen PLS screen had bad light leaks. If they can deliver quality and response time I am getting one as soon as a single GPU can work it at full res. Like maybe AMD 7970.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Yes. I am hoping for good things from PLS as S-IPS has stagnated and fractured to the e-IPS lines and 6-bit dithering. Not too much to choose from these days that have any speed and low input lag as well. The last batch of these 1st gen PLS screen had bad light leaks. If they can deliver quality and response time I am getting one as soon as a single GPU can work it at full res. Like maybe AMD 7970.

I've seen some pretty good Samsung implementations. The 30" Eizo that had a samsung panel was by far the best uniformity I've ever seen on a 30" display. Of course it was around $5k in the US :rolleyes:. The whole point was that they can make some decent products.

I use the HP Dreamcolor. Developed in conjuction with DreamWorks Animation specifically for the needs of the Visual Effects professional. It's very nice indeed.
The sad thing is that Apple's lackluster videocard drivers are not updated to handle a 10-bits per channel throughput even though the hardware is fully capable of delivering it to the display. So using it under OSX is less ideal (visible banding can occur in smooth gradients) than when running it under Windows, unfortunately.

Rumour has it that HP will come out with an updated Dreamcolor early in 2012.

Under Windows it's only supported under certain cards. Often you have to purchase a workstation card if you want it. It can be a little expensive, but it doesn't have to be terrible. Someone linked a luminous landscape post that suggested Apple had seen 10 bit displayport support on a couple cards, but AFAIK it's not available under Lion or via thunderbolt. It's kind of disappointing when displayport 1.2 has been out this long. In the end I don't think it's a priority for Apple even if it would be nice. I'm still debating a move to Windows, but it would not be until new cpus are available.

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
i've tried out the acd 27's and can't really take to them as much as my acd 30". still rocking the 30. if you can get them at a good price and condition, why not, i say.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I've seen some pretty good Samsung implementations. The 30" Eizo that had a samsung panel was by far the best uniformity I've ever seen on a 30" display. Of course it was around $5k in the US :rolleyes:. The whole point was that they can make some decent products.

No question they CAN make decent stuff. I was and am referring only to the brand new PLS tech (they only have 2 panels with this tech). The very first examples had quality issues at a few review sites. Once 3 or more comment on it I stay clear. Seems to be a big enough sampling at that point. The Eizo you mentioned was probably PVA not PLS. PLS is the new IPS rival. 178º, >5ms, 1000:1+ Static Contrast, and the very best part, semi-glossy. Not dirty matte and not too reflective glass. Closer to something like the NEC 20WMGX I cherish. The NEC is getting long in the tooth. The backlight will blow up any day now:( You'd blow up too if rated at over 450cd/m2, damn. I set it 34 out of 100. It can give you a suntan.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.