Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecartoonguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
yes its 27%.

I dont think its good to loose the yearly 27% discount and replace it with a once in 3 year 500$ discount. :mad: As it is on my pay I can hardly afford a Mac.

oh and we do already get a discount on iPads. 2%.

No it's 25% as I work at Apple. This discount will remain and the new discount can be used every three years.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
So you also have respect for all the entities suing Apple, since they are also doing everything they can to protect themselves ?

Protecting yourself to stop getting sued is a bit different from protecting you IP.

Thats a different thread though ;)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Considering the very low wages Apple pay their retail staff and the high demands on them they deserve at least this.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Considering the very low wages Apple pay their retail staff and the high demands on them they deserve at least this.

I don't know if they deserve this or not (renumeration is something that is left between the employer and its employees) but this is pretty par for the course as I've seen for employee benefits.

When I was working for the cableco some 10 odd years, we had free cable service, including pay channels and 13$ cable Internet as part of our benefits. Basically, a value of around 80$ per month. That's much more generous than this offer from Apple.

So really, 25% once yearly and 500$ + 250$ (can you get both the discounts on the iPad and Mac or is it pick and choose which ?) each 3 years isn't that big a deal for a private entity, especially like you said, considering the low wages of retail staff.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That's a nice discount, I thought however apple was more generous with providing its employees with discounts before this.

Still, getting 500 off a new computer purchase is not something to complain about. My company does the same thing and it helps immensely in keeping me update to date on my Macs :)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Any evidence that Apple does pay lower wages than other retail stores? For example, if you take a random Apple store, and check the wages for staff at the two stores to the left and to the right of it, do you think Apple pays less?

JesseFogarty

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, ON
I guess it's about time to fill out an application ;) 25% percent off once a year, this new once every three year and ONE free lunch. Apple must love their employees that aren't building their products.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Meanwhile the people that are manufacturing the devices get terrible work conditions and their pay withheld to punish them for not enough output.

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
Any evidence that Apple does pay lower wages than other retail stores? For example, if you take a random Apple store, and check the wages for staff at the two stores to the left and to the right of it, do you think Apple pays less?

Doubtful, it's just the usual apple bashing

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Considering how I make twice that amount more every month at my current job (that I love) than what I did working at AppleCare (which I loathed) I certainly don't feel bad about missing out on this.
Ofcourse, I wouldn't get this even if I still were at AppleCare since I worked for a vendor, but still...

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Well Apple has to find something to do with that cash they make. This is a nice perk but I wonder if it is taxable when the employee exercises it.

I agree with the poster above that it does add additional confusion about the price point for their items, but considering there are only about 40,000 Apple employees in the U.S., it won't come up that often. I guess it just makes it much more likely that everyone working at an Apple store will actually have an Apple product at home. Getting a 25% discount and then apply $500 off makes for a price point that no one can beat and even a retail employee should be able to afford a Mac Air or iMac when before they might have been settling for a windows netbook.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
When I was working for the cableco some 10 odd years, we had free cable service, including pay channels and 13$ cable Internet as part of our benefits. Basically, a value of around 80$ per month. That's much more generous than this offer from Apple.

Using what metric? Simple monetary value? Cable television would have zero value for me, but I imagine your cable company saw that benefit like Apple does, in that it helps employees "drink the Kool-Aid" rather than aid in recruiting.

I doubt Apple has any trouble filling retail positions lately, so they could just as easily not give any discounts (or give much smaller ones) and still have virtually the same quantity and quality of new hires.

I'm not in retail, and I'm paid relatively well, but in terms of incentives I get zip, nada, zilch where I work. To complain that a heavy discount on new computers isn't "generous" enough, especially in this economy, smacks of whining. :rolleyes:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Keep the discussion on topic, which is employee discounts, not about working conditions in Foxconn or other facilities apple uses.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
So Apple gives its employees a second perk in the last few months (extra time off around Thanksgiving) and the brain surgeons on here try and make it a bad thing. Sad.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Any evidence that Apple does pay lower wages than other retail stores?

I don't think that's what he was saying. In fact, I'm pretty sure Apple pays decent retail wages, but the plain fact is that retail wages are low for everyone in that industry doing actual floor work.

----------

So Apple gives its employees a second perk in the last few months (extra time off around Thanksgiving) and the brain surgeons on here try and make it a bad thing. Sad.

Who said it was a bad thing ? It's just not the incredible "I'm quitting my job and going to work for Apple!" thing some people are making it out to be.

----------

Using what metric? Simple monetary value?

Yes, using a simple monetary value. This is what this is. You don't use cable, maybe the Apple employee doesn't use an iPad or a Mac. So what ? I was making a monetary argument to people who were ready to quite their day jobs for Apple over 250$/year.

Reality sinking in...

jhende7

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Please.....

I already do and it's not Apple. Not everyone only respects and believes in Apple you know...

In fact, with Apple's current behavior in courts around the world and with their walled iOS garden, I'd have some moral problems working for them.

Thank god your "opinion" means nothing to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.