Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XX55XX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2009
I've never had an iPhone before, but these days, on the train, at school, on the street, basically any public location - I only see iPhone 4s or 4Ss around.

Is anyone still using an original iPhone? Or know people that do?

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I've never had an iPhone before, but these days, on the train, at school, on the street, basically any public location - I only see iPhone 4s or 4Ss around.

Not the original Iphone, but I do use my original 1st gen Ipod Touch in my bathroom, its basically only good for music and Pandora, no other apps work on it anymore (just boot/close out instantly)

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I still have mine, but it isn't activated. Still has the original sim in it. I remember those days of no iTunes app store, surfing on Safari on the edge network. At the time, I thought that was the best thing ever. Even if I like the looks of the current iPhone, I loved the durability of the original.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
My daughter uses my 1st Gen iPhone as an iPod Touch. Great battery life for watching movies on road trips. It's not activated and I generally have it in airplane mode to save battery life/keep her off the internet (she's four).

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Yes, and activated. Living in a country where most people live on prepaid, I can pretty much have multiple lines since it is dirt cheap to buy a prepaid SIM and load the balance. My original iPhone is used as a backup phone, but I mostly use it as an iPod and alarm clock. The internal specs is too outdated where it lags for most of my games. But the build quality is excellent. Most durable iPhone ever. When my battery or "load" runs out with my other phones with faster processors, then I just turn to the original iPhone for emergencies.

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
I still have mine, but it isn't activated. Still has the original sim in it. I remember those days of no iTunes app store, surfing on Safari on the edge network. At the time, I thought that was the best thing ever. Even if I like the looks of the current iPhone, I loved the durability of the original.

Same. Mine's sitting in my box now. Never used a case or screen protector for it and the thing is pretty much flawless. Build quality was definitely better with the original iPhones.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I still use mine as an iPod. It still has the original screen protector I put on it and case. It is my favorite. "feeling" iPhone. I wish they kept that design. It feels indestructible.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Gave mine to my daughter for when she goes on sleepovers.
JB/Unlocked it and threw a T-Mobile prepaid SIM in it.
The battery life on it is still fantastic.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
I'm currently trying to get a relatives or one off of eBay for collectors. It would be cool to have a first gen iPad(have), iPhone, and iPod touch.

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
I have a few myself, none of which are in stellar condition, but I know people who use the original one.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I've seen 2-3 people over the past year walking around using an original iPhone. It's rare for sure.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Does anybody actually use it as an everyday phone? That's the question.....
If that was the question meaning if it is being used as my MAIN phone, then no. Just serves as a backup phone and iPod. But I do use it everyday as an alarm clock, just not a phone.

The phone is beautiful, but way too dated in software (3.1.3) and hardware (underclocked 412MHz processor, weak GPU, soft speaker) for my everyday uses. It even has the WEAKEST range for Wi-Fi (at only b & g) while my iPhone 4 has the longest range among all my smartphones that I have ever had.

I have it only as a collector's item and for sentimental reasons. But if given a choice between a iPhone 2G vs iPod touch (5th gen) as an everyday gadget, I probably would pick the latter.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
yes using it along with my iPhone 4s!! 4s has my personal number and original iPhone has my official number!! what a brilliant combination!

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
Original iPhone..

I am one of the few it looks like. I have a 1G/8Gig that I bought brand new. It has been my trusty side kick for years now.

I was able to upgrade through AT&T to a 3GS a few months back for 99 cents. but within a week of the that my wife's 3gs died. And being the she is a tech-not by any stretch I am back to my old trusty friend. Calls clarity is great. Reception? Could be better, being limited by os 3.1.3 is really starting to cause me problems now that I sold off all of my PPC hardware, I can only hope I can find a way to fix the cycle boot on her 3gs..

Over all? I do not regret the purchase, and even now it is one of the best phones I have ever owned. And on that note, it is an amazing conversation starting being it is in a grey polymer case which makes it easy to see the brushed aluminum and black plastic strip.

~Drake

EliCsuf

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
OC, CA
My wifey still has the original iPhone. Activated and uses it daily.... She is old school and loves her iphone. Does not care for upgrading, but will be getting her a new one in February. :)

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Darn, I wish I still had mine. That thing is a classic already. The build quality was amazing. The design was iconic in my eyes. I can remember people staring at me when I would be using it.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
A friend of mine still uses his 1G as his main phone. Which is really crazy, because he bought my iPhone 4 a while back. He carries both, but uses the iPhone 1.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I still have mine in a pristine box...Keeping as a collector item. It does have a small single hairline crack about 2" long in the glass (dropped it ON CARPET pulling it out of my waist high case and it must have just hit perfectly on the corner) and I want to replace it with OEM glass. I just pulled it out the other day and man is it built like a tank. And it feels so perfect in your hand. I HOPE Apple switces back to the aluminum back for the 5. If anyone knows a good spot to find the glass I'd appreciate it. I haven't really searched for it but was thinking my best bet would be to find a non-working, maybe water damaged unit on ebay or CL. But if anyone has any better ideas, please let me know.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I still have mine, works perfectly fine with no defects. The only issue is the battery, which drains extremely quickly; I've yet to replace it.

anandp

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
yes

Yeah! I am still using and doing just fine..

----------

Yes! I am still using and it's doing just fine!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.