Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sundance2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
How does one install a printer that is on and network and not directly connected to the laptop? I have a Macbook and the printer is a Brother HL5052nd. I inserted the mac disk with the drivers and they were installed I think but after that I don't know where to go or what to do.:confused::confused:

Thanks!

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
The exact steps will vary a little depending on which version of the MacOS you're using, but generally speaking Brother's networked printers have Bonjour on by default, so should be pretty easy.

Basically, go to the "Add printer" thing (either in the Preference Pane on fax and printing, or Printer Setup Utility in the Utilities folder, depending on OS version), select "Add printer" (again, either the + button or "Add" in the toolbar), and under the Default Browser your printer should just appear (it'll have an odd name, though) if it's on the same subnet as your Mac.

Select it, pick the correct driver, and you should be good to go.

If it's not showing up, you may either need to enable Bonjour or add it manually, but a little more info on your setup would help to give tips on that.

Sundance2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
If it's not showing up, you may either need to enable Bonjour or add it manually, but a little more info on your setup would help to give tips on that.

That is what I did more or less and printer is not showing. Not sure what this "Bonjour" is, what I need to do with it or where it is. As for setup I have a brand spanking new Macbook, so what ever it comes with is the setup, Leopard I think but I don't know what the version number is.

Your help is greatly appreciated:)

hoofa

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
I'm in the same boat, I'm trying to install a network HP 5500. Brand new Mak.
I've been a PC guy for 15 yrs. Help!!!!

Sundance2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
I'm in the same boat, I'm trying to install a network HP 5500. Brand new Mak.
I've been a PC guy for 15 yrs. Help!!!!

Good to know I'm not the only one alone out here in the middle of this lake. I've been with the PC since Commodore went under, remember the vic 20, commodore 64 and the Amiga? How many times have I hear how much easer the mac is than the PC????:confused:

hoofa

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
The Printer has an HP jet direct card. I can get to the printer through the browser.

Thanks!!!!

I've been reading about some problems with leopard, think this could be something besides me.... The HP driver support site is not working either.

Sundance2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
My Brother is also directly connected to the network via a built-in network card. I tried inputting the ip address of the printer and the mac indicates it sees the printer (shows ready-idle) but when I print something it never gets to the printer.

Thanks

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Not sure if this will help or not, but I always seem to have terrible problems doing this with a Mac, and yet a network printer installation in Windows is so easy. Anyway, some time ago I did a screen grab of the settings - not sure if this is the 10.3 or the 10.4 dialog box, but it just might help:

Attachments

• PrinterSettings.pdf
    34.2 KB · Views: 12,353

Sundance2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Not sure if this will help or not, but I always seem to have terrible problems doing this with a Mac, and yet a network printer installation in Windows is so easy. Anyway, some time ago I did a screen grab of the settings - not sure if this is the 10.3 or the 10.4 dialog box, but it just might help:

Thanks, will let you know if it helps.

Lisa199405

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
Print to network printer

Hi, I am new to this forum, but have the problem not able to configure the printer on my Macbook. the printer is a Canon IP4200 shared on a Windows XP SP2 (home edition) PC, it works from another PC-notebook connected to the router.
Installing works, but printer pauses, then it says not connecting to a URL, but it is gone to fast to record it.
I also configured as IPP printing and specified my printer location as:
\\server\canonIP4 which is the name of the printer, for MAC this is probable incomplete (I am new to Mac)

if someone could assist me, i would be great.

aggarwals

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2008
The Printer has an HP jet direct card. I can get to the printer through the browser.

Thanks!!!!

I've been reading about some problems with leopard, think this could be something besides me.... The HP driver support site is not working either.

Hoofa - I am having a similar problem while adding a HP Photosmart printer to my mac running Leopard. I was able to print when I was running tiger on this laptop. :confused:

Have you been able to find a solution to this problem?

Thanks!

georgecamaj

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
I have the answer!!

My brother printer had this problem 2
i decided to try everything...
i figured out that it was the passwrod!!?!
the password had 2 many keys

ANSWER:
Make a simple password like
mynameisbob
no numbers no uppercase just simple
do this for your router too (i know that is bad but what are you going 2 do...)

samurusawyer

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Follow the steps below for network printer

1 Plug in your printer, add a few sheets of paper and Connect one end of the USB cable to your printer and other to your MacBook and Turn on your printer

2 Install any software that the came with your printer and following printer's setup instructions. Open setup assistant application installed with printer's software to begin WiFi configuration and When prompted after choose your Wi-Fi network, enter your password. If you have no printer setup assistant

3 Click Apple icon and select the "System Preferences (Click "Print & Fax.) If locked click lock icon in lower-left corner of window and enter your admin ID, password.

4 Click (+) icon in lower,left corner of screen to enter (Add Printer) toolbar. Double click connected printer icon to add driver to your computer.

5 Run a software update for MacBook by clickinge Apple icon in top left of computer's screen and clicking (Software Update) Wait for computer to gather all driver or printer updates, install them to your hard drive. Disconnect the USB cable from your MacBook.

atlanticza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Cape Town
Not sure if this may help but Macs also have the Unix utility, CUPS (Common Unix Printing Service) installed and printers can be managed in this way. For access to this, type the numbers 127.0.0.1:631 into your browser.

DoDoLo

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
Use "HP Jetdirect- Socket" protocol

I tried a while and found this way works for me. My one is Macbook Lion and the printer is HP Photosmart C1618
1. Go to the network printer. check the setting screen(printer's screen) and find the IP address for the printer in wireless setting section.

2. In the mac book, open Printer&Scan page, click the "+" on the left bottom.
3. Choose the "IP" tab on the Add printer page. choose "HP Jetdirect- Socket" protocol. input the printer IP address to the Address field. leave the "Queue" empty. Name = input a whatever name, location = blank; Print Using: choose the driver.

Done.
This way works for me.

rocket9005

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
New Milford, CT
I too have a Brother printer and setting it up was soo easy.Save your self a lot of headaches and give the printer a "static IP Address" something that is in the same octet of your network, but out of range of the rest of the stuff on your network. Most internal networks are 192.168.1.xxx (the xxx are the octets and it goes from 001 to 256) The router assigns address lowest to highest in order of connection. Wireless devices get an address too. Get the IP address of your mac, for example mine is 192.168.1.145, and set the IP address of the printer to the upper range of the last 3 numbers up to 255 (you can't use 256, there are a few other address which are not allowed, but they elude me at the moment)
I gave the Brother printer a static address of 192.168.1.252. I set it on the front panel of the printer, not the simplest exercise, but not brain surgery either. When I enter the static ip address in a web browser (like Safari or Firefox ) I go the the home page of the printers built on web server. There you can check your toner and print drum life, and make all kinds of settings.

If you know the IP address of your router you can get into it the same way and poke around, and make some changes like passwords.

Last edited:

IvanOhio

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
How does one install a printer that is on and network and not directly connected to the laptop? I have a Macbook and the printer is a Brother HL5052nd. I inserted the mac disk with the drivers and they were installed I think but after that I don't know where to go or what to do.:confused::confused:

Thanks!

I have a Brother HL2270DW, I simply went to the the Brother website, went to downloads, found the printer and downloaded the correct software needed, and followed the install procedures.

Quick, painless, and very easy.

:eek:

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
I too have a Brother printer and setting it up was soo easy.Save your self a lot of headaches and give the printer a "static IP Address" something that is in the same octet of your network, but out of range of the rest of the stuff on your network. Most internal networks are 192.168.1.xxx (the xxx are the octets and it goes from 001 to 256) The router assigns address lowest to highest in order of connection. Wireless devices get an address too. Get the IP address of your mac, for example mine is 192.168.1.145, and set the IP address of the printer to the upper range of the last 3 numbers up to 255 (you can't use 256, there are a few other address which are not allowed, but they elude me at the moment)
I gave the Brother printer a static address of 192.168.1.252. I set it on the front panel of the printer, not the simplest exercise, but not brain surgery either. When I enter the static ip address in a web browser (like Safari or Firefox ) I go the the home page of the printers built on web server. There you can check your toner and print drum life, and make all kinds of settings.

If you know the IP address of your router you can get into it the same way and poke around, and make some changes like passwords.

If you set a static address make sure to set a reserve address area in your router to place it into to prevent your router from setting another device to that same address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.