Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcgerm

macrumors member
May 28, 2003
robbieduncan said:
Good. Maybe this will stop some of the bitching on /. :)

It is kind of annoying that they had to wait till Tiger's release to release Java 5.0 on Mac. My roommate has had to use VPC to write code for projects in Java for most of the semester just to use it. I wonder why they waited and only released it for Tiger.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
jcgerm said:
It is kind of annoying that they had to wait till Tiger's release to release Java 5.0 on Mac. My roommate has had to use VPC to write code for projects in Java for most of the semester just to use it. I wonder why they waited and only released it for Tiger.

They are already teaching Java 5 in college?

I would have figured annotations,generics,varargs to be a bit high level for a college course. Enumerations and Formatted I/O are just eye candy.

Java 5 in college and enabling JDK 1.5 as default in Terminal

kingjr3 said:

I would have figured annotations,generics,varargs to be a bit high level for a college course. Enumerations and Formatted I/O are just eye candy.
Yeah, RIT teaches Java 5 (which is really 1.5.0, :mad: @ Sun). I'm in Computer Science II and we're already learning about generics.

JDK 1.5 command tools
WARNING: MAY BREAK JAVA ON YOUR SYSTEM. NO GUARANTEES

Anyway, if anyone is interested in using JDK 1.5's commands (java, javac, etc.) they need to do one more step in Terminal.

Launch Terminal, do:
sudo ln -sf /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0 /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK
That's it. Check java -version and javac -version.

Should look like:
will:~ will$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_02-56)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_02-36, mixed mode, sharing)
will:~ will$ javac -version
javac 1.5.0_02
javac complaining about no input source blah blah...

jcgerm

macrumors member
May 28, 2003
kingjr3 said:

Well, they've been teaching varargs in C and templates in C++ for a while,. Generics and varargs aren't too much different.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
yeah, im getting run time errors on some websites that have java... it says "critical error, need to reinstall os" i mean, do i have to? how do i fix?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
jcgerm said:
Well, they've been teaching varargs in C and templates in C++ for a while,. Generics and varargs aren't too much different.

Very True, guess I didn't think it through. I was just surprised that colleges are teaching it since it was only released 7 months ago, after the start of the 2004-2005 school year.

And for those of you who are intalling 5, be very careful...it is only the first release and Apple hasn't had much luck with Java recently... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.