Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prnoct90

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I have some music albums I want to burn to CD. I have

1)One long FLAC file and accompanying cue file, which together is one whole cd.

How do I put these onto a CD? I am hoping there is a CD burning program that can handle this. If so, please do tell me exactly how to do it!
Or if there is no program, then what are the steps I need to carry out in order to make the audio cd?

romulom

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
A valid solution at last : XLD

I have been dealing with this problem for many years. The only way to convert these files and burn them, was to go at a friends place who has a PC. Yesterday I found a freeware that does it all: XLD ( X Lossless Decoder:
Lossless audio decoder for Mac OS X )

go to: http://tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/xld/index_e.html

After all the freeware that I have tried in the last 4 years or so, I had to pinch myself !

:D

romulom

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
One thing to keep in mind

When I first used XLD I have noticed that when this freeware is running, there are no specific windows opened. In fact, there is nothing more than the XLD menu to give you a hint that it is running. Then you can go for «Open» and locate your cue file with the right path.

I have Mac OS X version 10.5.5. I have to admit that I do not remember wich feline this system is anymore. But I guess that if you really have a problem installing the software, you could go on the developpers web site. You should find infso about this issue there...

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
When I first used XLD I have noticed that when this freeware is running, there are no specific windows opened. In fact, there is nothing more than the XLD menu to give you a hint that it is running. Then you can go for «Open» and locate your cue file with the right path.

An icon always shows up in the dock form me when launched once it is there you can drag and drop the cue file onto it then a window opens...

macgruder

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2007
UK
But how does this work if there are multiple Flac files; i.e. one Flac file for each track.

romulom

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Ok Macgruder

With multiple Flac files simply choose File, Open in XLD. Then a window appears. Find the right path to locate your files. Select the entire list of Flac files and click the Open button. A new iTunes like window appears. Before converting them, make sure the song names, artist and album infos are there (you can drag in a cd cover in the area as well).

But keep in mind that Toast Titanium also supports these FLAC files. You can burn a perfect sounding audio cd with them (audio tab in the upper left). Or convert your files in AIFF as well (click the convert tab in the upper left).

But keep in mind that XLD is a lot more flexible when it comes to choosing a lossy format to convert your Flac files to and to handle the song infos. Because with Toast, in order to add the songs in iTunes in a AAC or MP3 or MP4, you still have to convert the subsequent AIFF files using iTunes...

romulom

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Ok Macgruder

With multiple Flac files simply choose File, Open in XLD. Then a window appears. Find the right path to locate your files. Select the entire list of Flac files and click the Open button. A new iTunes like window appears. Before converting them, make sure the song names, artist and album infos are there (you can drag in a cd cover in the area as well).

But keep in mind that Toast Titanium also supports these FLAC files. You can burn a perfect sounding audio cd with them (audio tab in the upper left). Or convert your files in AIFF as well (click the convert tab in the upper left).

But keep in mind that XLD is a lot more flexible when it comes to choosing a lossy format to convert your Flac files to and to handle the song infos. Because with Toast, in order to add the songs in iTunes in a AAC or MP3 or MP4, you still have to convert the subsequent AIFF files using iTunes...

macgruder

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2007
UK
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough.

How do I use the .cue file if there are multiple flac files? At present, if I open the .cue file it prompts me to choose a file to split and I can't select all the flacs.

I have Toast so I am really looking for a way to use the cue file correctly.

Many thanks.

camelwalk

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
Here's What I Did

Thanks for the link to XLD romulom...

I had 2 files - flac and cue
Installed XLD
Open XLD choose File> Open
Select your cue file and then choose decode

Simple

Thanks Mac Rumors!!

MacShopper

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2003
Eugene, Oregon
I get white noise after decoding .cue using XLD...I'm on snow leopard last version. Any idea ? other soft etc ...Thanks

Same here: When converting a single FLAC using cue, all tracks are white noise. :confused:
No problem converting individual FLAC files.

XLD version 20101212 (126.2)
OS X 10.6.6

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Most of my CD collection is ripped using EAC to a single FLAC file with CUE. I used to convert this to an NRG using Nero and just mount it virtually for iTunes to rip. Haven't found a way to get Windows 7 or Vista or OS X to give me a virtual audio CD.

My plan is to use an XP VM to migrate everything over to ALAC.

B

hebhansen

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
Same here: When converting a single FLAC using cue, all tracks are white noise. :confused:

OS X 10.6.6

Also white noise for me. I have succeeded on a few cue+long file but most of them turn out as noise. And it's such a waste of time!!! What am I doing wrong?

Trainwreck707

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
I get white noise after decoding .cue using XLD...I'm on snow leopard last version. Any idea ? other soft etc ...Thanks

Can you post your XLD preferences and a sample cue file? I have transcoded hundreds of FLAC images (including several this morning) and never gotten white noise.

----------

OS X 10.6.6

That version is several years old (currently 20120120 & 139.0) and may be causing your problem. Select check for updates and then change your preferences to automatically check for updates.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM

OS X 10.6.6

Duff-Man says...if you still have issues after updating XLD then also check what the sample bitrate is on the flac file(s). If they happened to be 24bit then that's probably why you are hearing white noise as cd audio standard is 16bit...oh yeah!

hebhansen

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2009
Duff-Man says...if you still have issues after updating XLD then also check what the sample bitrate is on the flac file(s). If they happened to be 24bit then that's probably why you are hearing white noise as cd audio standard is 16bit...oh yeah!

Still white noise after converting to 24bit???

I want to convert a Cue+Flac to ALAC split files. I open Raw PCM (bin+cue). First I select the cue. Inhere I can select 16 bit or 24 bit. Sampling can be changed as well (currently 48.000).

Files are output as split ALAC but they white noise from start to end.

When converting split Flacs they come out just fine .....

Very few Cue+long FLAC come out fine but most are crab

Any help is appreciated...

dirkbill

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2012
This Helped Me

I went back to the developer's website http://tmkk.pv.land.to/xld/index_e.html and found this:

IMPORTANT NOTE : To split ape(flac,wav,etc) + cue files, open the .cue file from "Open..." in File menu. "Open Raw PCM (bin/cue)" can be only used to handle Raw PCM (header-less wav) files.

I had used "Open Raw PCM..." in the past without a problem, but lately all I was getting was white noise. So I started opening the cue file from the Open... menu, and voila, no more white noise.

Hope this helps.

Consciousness01

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
i went back to the developer's website http://tmkk.pv.land.to/xld/index_e.html and found this:

important note : To split ape(flac,wav,etc) + cue files, open the .cue file from "open..." in file menu. "open raw pcm (bin/cue)" can be only used to handle raw pcm (header-less wav) files.

i had used "open raw pcm..." in the past without a problem, but lately all i was getting was white noise. So i started opening the cue file from the open... Menu, and voila, no more white noise.

Hope this helps.

thank you! :)

MacShopper

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2003
Eugene, Oregon
Now when I have a cue file with a file that needs splitting, I just double-click it. If the audio file has the same name and is in the same folder, the tracks appear in the conversion window.

My APE files are already split and there's no cue files.

I sure wish XLD would convert wma files! :(

dirkbill

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2012
Try Switch from NCH (free)

Now when I have a cue file with a file that needs splitting, I just double-click it. If the audio file has the same name and is in the same folder, the tracks appear in the conversion window.

My APE files are already split and there's no cue files.

I sure wish XLD would convert wma files! :(

----------------------

Try Switch from NCH Software; it will convert pretty much any audio file into any other audio file, and it's free! I use it all the time to get change wma and wav files to any kind of mp3 or aiff file.

MacShopper

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2003
Eugene, Oregon
I have Switch, and it doesn't work on my wma files.
I have a few albums in wma that I want to covert to FLAC, and Switch tells me "An error has been encountered..." "No audio detected in the file."

All the files will play with QuickLook or VLC.

I contacted the NCH support, who told me to install Perian. I've had Perian installed for years. Never did get the issue resolved. I forgot about it until now, I just emailed them again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.