Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I've been using QE for over a year and I've found that it's simply OK for basic home financial accounting use but that's really about it. Obviously it falls far short of Quicken 2012 for Windows and it remains a total disgrace that Intuit refuses to properly service the rapidly growing Mac user base adequately.

Based on what it actually does do, the price of this software should be no more than half of what they have it currently listed for on the App Store. If I hadn't received a complimentary license for it from my employer I wouldn't be using it at all as it's certainly not worth $49.99 in it's current state.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I don't understand why it's so hard for Quicken to put out a Mac equivalent of their PC version, instead of some ridiculously stunted piece of software like Essentials. I'm still using Quicken 2007, but even that is not as good as the Quicken for Windows that I left behind.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Intuit for the Mac, what a bunch of jokers...

What a friggn' joke move this is by Intuit, talk about taking the piss on customers with their lazy halfhearted b.s.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I got tired of waiting for a modern version of Quicken for Mac a couple of years ago. I ended up switching to iBank (briefly) and then to MoneyWell. For most Quicken users, I would recommend iBank, but we use the envelope/bucket budgeting mechanism in our household and MoneyWell is great for that. After I switched to MoneyWell, iBank added the same budgeting method, but MoneyWell is built around it so every transaction on our checking account automatically gets a bucket. Even transfers out of our checking account to other accounts can be assigned to buckets on the checking side, but not on the other account -- this means that we don't get a debit and credit canceling each other when we transfer money. This was a great feature for us. Only downside to Moneywell is that they don't have much staff so you wait longer for new features. The iPhone app took a while, and I am still waiting/hoping for an iPad-optimized app.

Patronus

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Intuit, Adobe & Microsoft all have the same MO: take your money. That is in stark contrast to the approach of making your customers thrilled and they will gladly pay you lots of money. Sheesh, I wish they all three would just go away.

Tinger

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2011
Intuit - the Anti-Mac company

Sadly, I'm still waiting for another company to PLEASE build something worth owning on the mac side. I'm running Q2009 via xp/bootcamp and just got the "gimme more money or else" note from Intuit to upgrade.

I HATE INTUIT and how they treat their customers!!

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I don't understand why it's so hard for Quicken to put out a Mac equivalent of their PC version, instead of some ridiculously stunted piece of software like Essentials. I'm still using Quicken 2007, but even that is not as good as the Quicken for Windows that I left behind.

Not enough potential users to justify the expense?

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Intuits business model is to remove features from their low end products to encourage/force users to upgrade to Pro edtitions. I fell for this with two consecutive versions of Quicken for Windows, and bailed out when they removed stocks and shares tracking. I won't give them another penny.

----------

Not enough potential satisfied users to justify the expense?

Fixed. And that's their own fault.

TeamMojo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Intuit is a disgraceful software house. They make Microsoft look like Apple. Their products are terrible. QuickBooks uses antiquated peer to peer networking from the mid 1990s. Complete garbage that requires constant coddling of "single user" and "multi user" modes to keep it working.

The best course action is not buy their sh-t until it works well and is consistent across all platforms. If Apple can do it with iTunes and Microsoft can do it with Office, why can't Intuit get it together?

scotpole

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2006
Lion

I just upgraded my Mac running Quicken 2007 to Lion and Quicken Quit working. See Intuit was such a cutting edge company that they based Quicken 2007 on the Power PC platform even though they probably knew and had prototype Macs that were running on the Intel processor. The windows version was probably running on the same hardware as the Mac Intel Version, but Intuit made a commitment to the Power PC Version. And now Quicken 2007 is kaput.

Rip here Lies Quicken 2007.

Over this last weekend I have been converting to iBank. I have looked at iBank before and I have had some problems with it, but right now it is one of the few games in town. The other accounting program I have found has been GNU-Cash which is an open source piece of software. The software looks promising, but the only way the software can be supported is through Pay Pal contributions. I decided to stay away from the share ware software and go with iBank.

So far the iBank software seems transactionally valid and will cover most Stock transactions. The check book function seems easy enough. I have not found a way to edit the set up information of an individual stock or change information in an account, but it may be my unfamiliarity with the program. I also have not figured out how to generate stock charts, one of the reasons I stayed with Quicken to the bitter end.

I had partitioned into two 360gb partitions the hard drive of the computer that housed my copy of Quicken. One of the partitions is still running Mac OS 10.5.7. So I am able to run Quicken in the Power PC emulator in 10.5.7. I am printing out every report I can think of. I am abandoning ship.

R.I.P.
Macintosh Quicken
1995-2011

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
I'm really lost as to what software to get. After reading so many bad reviews about Quicken for Mac I'm hesitant to buy it. And, after trying iBank, I don't really like it.

So, aside from the option of MoneyWell, what are you guys using?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Intuits business model is to remove features from their low end products to encourage/force users to upgrade to Pro edtitions. I fell for this with two consecutive versions of Quicken for Windows, and bailed out when they removed stocks and shares tracking. I won't give them another penny.

----------

Fixed. And that's their own fault.

Fixed, really? Its economics.. if there aren't enough potential mac customers then why should Intuit bother with a mac version and potentially make a loss. Not worth the risk. As of October, OSX had between 6% and 7% ( http://www.fiercecio.com/techwatch/...arket-share-ups-pressure-windows-8/2011-10-04 , http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._base_grows_to_over_6_worldwide_13_in_the_us/ )

If OSX had even half the user base of windows then you'd see Intuit put in a lot more effort.

Of course, Intuit's attitude towards OSX at the moment isn't doing them any favours.

Last edited:

rob7erto

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
Version 1.6.1 vs 1.7

The version of QE from the Mac App Store is 1.7 yet the version I have from Intuit directly is 1.6.1. Checking for updates within Quicken doesn't find 1.7. Is there a difference between what's on the App Store and what's on my machine?

Would appreciate if anyone had any insight. Thanks.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I've got pretty basic "financial management" needs. I've got two checkings, one savings, and a few credit card accounts. I want an app that can automatically connect and download new transactions, help me categorize them, and then let me run some reports to see where my money's going.

I love love LOVE Quicken Essentials. It does everything that I need it to, it's been rock solid for me, and unlike Quicken 2007, it looks/acts like a real Mac application.

I feel the same way. From the comments, I think people found a way to use Quicken 2007 / 2012 to print money to their color printers. I wish Quicken Essentials in the Mac App store could print money like the 2007 Mac version. Oh well.

ejkionka

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2008
iBank

I switched to iBank when I moved to Lion. For those of us who used Quicken for Mac 2007, it takes a while to get used to (like any other new program) but stick with it. It's a good replacement. The report function is not as robust as QFM, but it's adequate. The support is great. All updates within a version are free.

T-Mac

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
Tennessee

lhotka

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Cool, the great unwashed masses of mac users can now get access to a set of poorly implemented incomplete features!

----------

That's part of the issue. They want to move people over to Mint, which would be fine, except they don't make it easy to move over historical records from any version of Quicken (Windows or Mac). Plus, with financial information, some people are less likely to trust the cloud.

The same is happening to tax preparation. They are making the CD/download versions more expensive (although at least TurboTax still runs natively on the Mac - its update routine is bad, though), attempting to get everyone onto the online version.

I'll *never* use online financial management software. That's one of the issues with QE too - I was told by them that Intuit actually makes the connection to your bank, and then stores that information on their servers. Since they aren't a financial institution themselves, they aren't subject to the same privacy regulations. No thanks.

----------

I switched to iBank when I moved to Lion. For those of us who used Quicken for Mac 2007, it takes a while to get used to (like any other new program) but stick with it. It's a good replacement. The report function is not as robust as QFM, but it's adequate. The support is great. All updates within a version are free.

I'll second that - and it's FAR better than QE.

kissfan

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2011
Florida
I'm really lost as to what software to get. After reading so many bad reviews about Quicken for Mac I'm hesitant to buy it. And, after trying iBank, I don't really like it.

So, aside from the option of MoneyWell, what are you guys using?

I've been using full-blown Quicken under Windows since the early 90s. When I went Mac 4 years ago, I just bit the bullet and loaded XP under Parallels and run Quicken that way... now on Quicken 2011.

I'm not wasting my time trying to get Intuit to find parity between the platforms. I just deal with it. The other options for financial software a) don't compare in investment analysis and b) don't bring enough history over to justify the move.

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
That's pretty much the only thing I still boot Windows for, on my MBP: Microsoft Money Plus Sunset Edition - when M$ exited the market, they released the Sunset edition as a Free replacement for outdated Money products.

I have waaaaay too many years worth of data in M$ Money to export, and they do NOT make exporting easy (not to mention, my own categories, etc). It's a pity they exited the market, and that there's no Mac version. It does everything I need.

sharonAK

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
Check out SeeFinance..

No one has mentioned SeeFinance, yet.
http://scimonocesoftware.com/seefinance/

It's robust and accurate with outstanding support. A "switch" from years and years of Quicken is a slight paradigm shift. I went back to an old computer with Quicken still installed and was shocked at how cumbersome a simple find or sort were and how awful charts and graphs were in comparison.

My only two complaints so far are how the split transaction "looks" to the user...and that there is no option for annualized earnings on my investments. Pretty minor complaints.

Importing seamless. Memorized payees, category merge & split a breeze...etc

It's worth checking out.

Last edited:

scades

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
In the cloud(s)...

I can understand the mechanical reasons for Intuit--and many others--to favor cloud computing over distributing downloadable software: It allows them to develop and improve software in a single environment--theirs. As a design model it's a throwback by 20 years, but I suspect it's much more efficient from their perspective.
Strategically, the shift raises very large red flags. We are watching Google and Facebook track users' behavior, and then monetize user's data by selling it to advertisers. And, from time to time we see cloud data being hacked, cloud systems being arbitrarily taken down, etc.
Intuit is an ordinary corporation; their obligation (to shareholders) is profit maximization. But we users must look out for our own interests. Mine includes minimizing the loss or misuse of my data. I will never adopt software in which I lose custody and/or control of my information.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
That's pretty much the only thing I still boot Windows for, on my MBP: Microsoft Money Plus Sunset Edition - when M$ exited the market, they released the Sunset edition as a Free replacement for outdated Money products.

I have waaaaay too many years worth of data in M$ Money to export, and they do NOT make exporting easy (not to mention, my own categories, etc). It's a pity they exited the market, and that there's no Mac version. It does everything I need.

Try Quicken (for Windows) and see how it does the import from Money. It did a perfect job for me and I had years of accumulated transactions and investment history. I had to do some clean up of the categories when done but it was straightforward.

I still like Money better, but I've got to look forward and Quicken will have better support and integration with financial institutions (and of course stock price tracking).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.