Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilverBlade

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
Apple just sent me a free 6th Gen iPod nano after I returned my 1st gen iPod Nano as part of the recent recall. As happy as I am with getting a serious courtesy upgrade, I am really disappointed that iCal and Address Book is not supported. I use iCal a lot, and syncing my laptop calendar with my old nano was really convenient. I am missing the iCal sync already. I wish I didn't participate in the recall now as I was quite happy with my 1st gen nano.

I can now only hope that Apple will reintroduce iCal and Address Book software for the 6th gen iPod nano.

Apple will *never* give the Nano iCal or Address book syncing as the nano is strictly a music-player only.

If you want iCal/Address syncing, then the nano is not for you, the iPod touch is.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Mine came with a letter from AppleCare Service saying I have a 90 day warranty.

Mine too. Applecare denied service because it shows up as having no warranty. Kinda bummed.

My paper doesnt say my serial number either.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
To be fair, even with the most extended applecare+CC 1 year, the original Nano many of us traded in would of been out of warranty.

Though likely still functional.

kako

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2004
I just loved the 3rd and 4th gen designs. The 5th gen was a step too far, the screen was too big and the camera completely unnecessary.

The shame about the 6th gen iPod is it traded off easily held for easily clipped. It just seems like Apple reached their logical conclusion of small and functional, and can't see anywhere to go.

Personally, I think it could be an exercise in pure, interesting design. Create a new one every year and just let the industrial design team run free. It's a declining product, but one whose annual sales easily pay off production. Make it a speciality!

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I am the exact same as this guy, I love it as a watch. I was gifted it because i wanted a watch and nothin more. I have an iPad and iPhone for my music and such!

I love it as a watch with my two Hex watch bands.

Same here. Though I bought it before i got my iPhone. But what sold me was having the greatest nerd-tastic watch since the calculator watch.

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
There should be an app store, web browser, email client.. inputs would work via handwriting.

SilverBlade

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
They call that an iPod touch.

I second this..

People want the iPod nano to be basically a 'wrist computer', ie..having an app store, syncing, web browser, e-mail client..etc.

This is what the iPod touch/iPhone is for.

iPod Nano 6g/7g is a *music* player and the apps on it are related to music (the Nike add-on, for example). The only reason I'd want an 'app store' on the iPod nano 7g is to allow us to purchase more watch faces.

I don't get why people are disappointed in the iPod nano not being what it was never intended to be. It's like going to Wendy's and demanding a Big Mac and getting angry that they don't sell it.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I don't get why people are disappointed in the iPod nano not being what it was never intended to be. It's like going to Wendy's and demanding a Big Mac and getting angry that they don't sell it.

I don't think that folks are disappointed. It's more along the lines that they can see so much potential in the nano and feel that Apple is holding it back.

If there were an app-store for the nano, you could bet that there would be many more accessories available. For instance, in the fitness arena, you're really stuck with Nike+. If an app-store was available, I'm sure you'd see all kinds of alternatives and accessories (i.e. GPS dongles, ANT+, etc).

People see the nano and it reminds them of a tiny iPhone/iPod touch. We've gotten used to all of the great and useful apps and then wonder why the nano isn't treated with an app-store to extend the usefulness.

NOTE - I do realize that the nano isn't using iOS. It's just that the system feels like iOS and the mind is trained to expect an iOS experience.

ft

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I don't mind so much that there is no speaker but at the very least a small vibrator motor so I can use the timers better. I love my 'iWatch' and is a conversation starter without me showing it off people start talking on it and it looks good. Hell, one of my friends has a bigger watch and has only 3 clocks and a date nothing more and looks so so.

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I don't mine so much that there is no speaker but at the very least a small vibrator motor so I can use the timers better. I love my 'iWatch' and is a conversation starter without me showing it off people start talking on it and it looks good. Hell, one of my friends has a bigger watch and has only 3 clocks and a date nothing more and looks so so.

I hope the next gen will have just more iPod Touch/iPhone extension features... like Bluetooth 4.0 features and the ability to use it as a bluetooth head set via your wired head set. It would be great to use it as a stand alone player AND an extension of my iOS device when I get a call/want to watch a video, etc.

bkushner

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011
A friend has loaded onto his nano watch photos of QR codes linking to his website etc for clients he meets. Sounds cool. Any more "hacks" out there?

shhy

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I LOVE my iPod nano. Nike+ with no sensor and tiny form factor? Bliss.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Sorry for digging up my old thread. Debating which I like better though the 6th gen or the 7th gen Nano. What do you all think?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Sorry for digging up my old thread. Debating which I like better though the 6th gen or the 7th gen Nano. What do you all think?

The only advantage in the 7th gen is watching videos IMO. The 6th gen is far more portable, cheaper... And IT HAS A CLIP!

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
The only advantage in the 7th gen is watching videos IMO. The 6th gen is far more portable, cheaper... And IT HAS A CLIP!

Videos are moot more of a novelty. I just can't decide if I prefer having Bluetooth and slightly more battery life or the sleek form factor. I am also worried about the power button issue affecting some Nanos. Where the button stops functioning.

As for the clip. The roocase while not nearly as nice isn't a bad solution though I really miss having a watch.

If you were to buy one today at 149.99 for the 16gb version of either Nano. Which would you get?

----------

I liked the 6th gen better, smaller body. New one is also nice though. Like the lightning connector and thinner body.

Same question goes to you. Same price for 16gb. 149.99. Which would you get?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
If you were to buy one today at 149.99 for the 16gb version of either Nano. Which would you get?

It'd have to be the 6th gen. For the form factor & 'watch'-ability. But it all comes down to personal preference & what you will be doing on it. If you go running, need a watch, and just need to listen to music - then it has to be the 6th gen. If you want the more iOS'ish experience, a sleeker body etc. then go with the 7th gen. If you are set on a 7th gen though, definitely check out the 5th gens, they are BEAUTIFUL, have nice big screens, have the (awesome) click wheel & have that sleek form factor found in the 7th gens.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
It'd have to be the 6th gen. For the form factor & 'watch'-ability. But it all comes down to personal preference & what you will be doing on it. If you go running, need a watch, and just need to listen to music - then it has to be the 6th gen. If you want the more iOS'ish experience, a sleeker body etc. then go with the 7th gen. If you are set on a 7th gen though, definitely check out the 5th gens, they are BEAUTIFUL, have nice big screens, have the (awesome) click wheel & have that sleek form factor found in the 7th gens.

Well I have the 7th gen currently and sold my old 6th gen when I was short on money. I now have a little bit of scratch and want to get one to use against the gym. Not a fan of using my iPhone. I found a place selling brand new 6th gen Nanos for retail price with full warranty so I was debating. I loved the watch form factor but will miss Bluetooth and the extra few hours of battery life.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
bring back the click wheel

this touch screen crap for the iPod Nano makes 1 handed use actually more cumbersome

i took back the iPod Nano 7th gen and am on eBay right now looking for a used 4th/5th gen Nano in Product Red. i must not be the only one - they are selling for a pretty penny. glad to know i'm not the odd ball here in feeling that the 4th and 5th gen iPod Nanos were the best

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.