Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

airportutility-165-1.png
Apple has released updates to its Wi-Fi base stations and to the Airport Utility program that controls them.

AirPort Utility 6.0 for Mac OS X Lion weighs in at 14.13MB and requires Mac OS X 10.7.2. The user interface has been redesigned to look more like the iOS Airport Utility application available through the App Store for the iPhone and iPad. It is also streamlined, with fewer windows required to access the full range of Airport Base Station settings.

airport-screenshot.jpg
AirPort Base Station and Time Capsule Firmware Update 7.6.1 was also released, and can be installed via Airport Utility on the Mac or iOS.
This update is for all 802.11n AirPort Express, 802.11n AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule models. It fixes an issue with wireless performance and provides support for remote access to an AirPort disk or a Time Capsule hard drive with an iCloud account.
Apple also released AirPort Utility 5.6 for Mac OS X Lion, which retains the previous look of AirPort Utility and is required for configuring some older AirPort hardware.

Article Link: Apple Releases Redesigned iOS-Like Airport Utility 6.0 and an Airport Base Station Bug-Fix

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
I know almost everybody already knows this but just another hint that Apple is all about iOS now.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I just keep wondering about how little Snow Leopard has received love from Apple lately. It might be just me, but didn't Apple use to support their second-latest OS far better than they do now? Not everyone wants to move to Lion.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I wish they would include a nice interface like this for all airport related services and devices instead of those just using an Airport base station.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Slightly annoying, but 6.0 can't configure my older Airport Express, making me download 5.6 solely to manage it.

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
I just installed the update.

Looks fine to me, but there was a configuration tool for printers in the old application, where did it go, I can't seem to find it anymore!?

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
More important: Does this fix a bug where Firmware version 7.6 would cause USB-connected disks to spin up every few minutes?

I installed 7.6 and went back to 7.5.2 because of this issue!

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Slightly annoying, but 6.0 can't configure my older Airport Express, making me download 5.6 solely to manage it.

Really? Damn, that sucks. I already updated to 6.0 too. I'll have to test out the older Express later. It's disconnected and I just keep it around should I want to setup speakers outside or something.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Ever since trying out the iOS version of Airport Utility I was hoping Apple would bring it to the Mac. It's really nice and intuitive. The last update I made to my router was just too easy on my iPhone. Looking forward to trying out the Mac version of it.

sudoash

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
[..] and provides support for remote access to an AirPort disk or a Time Capsule hard drive with an iCloud account.

So does this mean that we can access our Time Capsule's hard disk elsewhere? For example, if I am at work, can I get data from my Time Capsule's hard disk simply by using my iCloud credentials? If so, how? There doesn't seem to be any documentation or instructions for this — or I'm helpless for looking.

Edit:
I really am helpless for looking. It's right here:

screenshot20120130at230.png

Last edited:

Sweetmate

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
An so continues the total dumbing down of all products Apple.

Can no longer configure printers, can no longer see wireless and DHCP clients, lost IPv6, lost logs and stats, lost multicast rate, lost transmit power, lost wide channels, lost interference robustness etc etc etc

Gained: A Nice big Internet globe icon and a nice big Base Station icon.

Soverc

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2005
Hmm no ability to edit ipv6 settings that I see, looks like other things may be gone but have not compared them yet.

The interface is butt ugly also. I could have done better in MS paint.

Cmd-the-World

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Seriously Apple do I need to wait in turn to update my devices?

Prior to the update I was able to update the firmware on all my devices simultaneously. Now I need to update them one by one. :mad: I am working on Mac OS X which is able to have full multitasking not iOS!!!!!

Apart from that it was convenient when I needed to set up a number of devices I was able to have multiple windows open so when one is restarting I was able to continue setting up the others. Now it isn't possible. :mad:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Seriously Apple do I need to wait in turn to update my devices?

Prior to the update I was able to update the firmware on all my devices simultaneously. Now I need to update them one by one. :mad: I am working on Mac OS X which is able to have full multitasking not iOS!!!!!

Apart from that it was convenient when I needed to set up a number of devices I was able to have multiple windows open so when one is restarting I was able to continue setting up the others. Now it isn't possible. :mad:

Tell me about it: I have 6 Airport Express / Time Capulses to update... now its a PITA, one at a time thanks to a crappy modal UI.

Hey Apple, we can multi-task.

Not being able to see DHCP clients , or even how many are connected is extremely weak.

Unfortunately this all points to the dumbing down of OS X applications.

I just keep wondering about how little Snow Leopard has received love from Apple lately. It might be just me, but didn't Apple use to support their second-latest OS far better than they do now? Not everyone wants to move to Lion.

Apple never did support older OSes very well.

Last edited:

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Is it me, or is the logging option gone? In the previous version you were able to view the number of connected clients, a graph showing signal strength, logs and you were able to configure an external host to sent log information over snmp. The only thing which I can find at the moment is a summary of connected clients when you click on one of the airport devices, but the more advanced stuff seems to be gone? Has anybody been able to locate it?

Also, it seems it is not possible to create configuration profiles anymore?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Is it me, or is the logging option gone? In the previous version you were able to view the number of connected clients, a graph showing signal strength, logs and you were able to configure an external host to sent log information to. The only thing which I can find at the moment is a summary of connected clients when you click on one of the airport devices, but the more advanced stuff seems to be gone? Has anybody been able to locate it?

Also, it seems it is not possible to create configuration profiles anymore?

The logging option IS gone and that ticks me off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.