Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a report from Marbridge Consulting yesterday claiming that sources within China Telecom had revealed that a deal had been struck with Apple for the iPhone 4S, China Daily reports that China Telecom subsidiary Beijing Telecom has confirmed plans for an iPhone 4S release as soon as late February.
In a news release on Monday, Beijing Telecom Co Ltd, a subsidiary of China Telecom, said the CDMA-version iPhone 4S is likely to hit the domestic market by the end of February, or at the beginning of March. However, no pricing details were disclosed.

"China Telecom has already started preparatory work for the launch of the iPhone 4S," according to the press release.
With the iPhone 4S being a world-mode device capable of operating on both GSM and CDMA networks, previous regulatory approvals that were required to allow the device to be launched by Apple's long-standing partner carrier China Unicom earlier this month helped pave the way for the device to make its way to China Telecom.

china_telecom.jpg

China Telecom currently has over 125 million subscribers on its mobile services, with over 36 million of those on its 3G network as of December 2011, nearly three times the 12 million 3G subscribers the carrier had one year earlier. The addition of China Telecom will leave China Mobile, the world's largest carrier, as the only one of China's three major carriers lacking the iPhone. Efforts on a China Mobile iPhone have been slowed by the carrier's use of TD-SCDMA technology for its 3G network, technology that would require specially-designed iPhone hardware to run on the network.

Article Link: China Telecom May Launch iPhone 4S by Late February

sparks05

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Colorado
Huge impact to revenue

This will have a huge impact on revenue. . . Apple's fastest growing region and the region's largest carrier . . .

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
With the size of the Chinese market being so vast, it seems like Apple has tremendous growth potential for the iPhone. They can't even sell into the market right now without scalpers setting up shop and one of the largest networks doesn't even support the iPhone. When those customers become potential customers, how big will the demand be? Could there really be shortages of the 4S all the way into the summer in China?

Also, how much money has Apple left on the table by not being able to satisfy global demand? If Apple had had a perfect crystal ball on iPhone demand three years ago, could they have made investments in manufacturing or made binding pre-orders so that production levels could have been much higher than they are? Or is it possible that there just wouldn't ever have been enough parts and manufacturing capability to make more iPhones than are currently being manufactured?

With Verizon being added, then Sprint and then the big China telecoms, the market for the iPhone keeps growing. Can Apple get the manufacturing at the level where 100% of demand can be satisfied within the first 6 months of sales? They clearly haven't gotten to that level for the 4S. What happens if 5 is truly revolutionary and demand for it is substantially higher than for the 4S?

----------

It would be nice to have an iPhone production article without having to drag this topic in every single time.

You know that person was being sarcastic, right?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Why? It's an inconvenient truth so that we can all have our precious gadgets. As long as I've got the cash, who cares about the human rights toll, right? :apple:

The Foxcon employees are much much more politically empowered by their comparatively high wage manufacturing jobs than they would be if they had remained subsistence level farmers. Remember, these guys live under a communist dictatorship. China's continued focus on capitalist successes, like Foxcon, is actually bringing greater and greater political freedom to that country. The communist party remains the sole political power, but they have to make freedom concessions to the capitalists in order to continue to feed the economic expansion.

If you want to feel sorry for anyone in China, feel sorry for the 100s of millions of impoverished peasants. Don't cry for the Foxcon employees, they are far from the bottom of the economic food chain in China.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Siri needs more languages.

I think iPhone 4S sales in China will improve if and when Siri supports Mandarin and Cantonese. So far, the Siri beta supports 3 English accents, French, and German.

And, come to think of it, I think iPhone 4S sales would improve if Siri supported Spanish, German, Portuguese, Russian, Italian, etc. (And the different accents of some of those languages. Ever hear Swiss German being spoken?)

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Presumably the CDMA iPhone 4 will also be available on China Telecom. Has the CDMA iPhone 4 been available at any carrier other than Verizon up to now?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
While I can appreciate what you are saying, I think the difference is those peasant farmers aren't working in reprehensible conditions to export food to my local market. I also do not believe that slave-like labor conditions somehow advance a capatalist movement in China. Sure, top managers and owners are raking in money hands over fist, but that's identical to the power structure in a communist country anyway. The elite are just a handful but its the masses that have to support this way of life.

Not to mention that Apple maintains an incredible profit margin with the products they sell - almost unheard of for a non-accessory item in the electronics industry. Kicking some of that profit down the supply chain would improve worker conditions - if nothing more than these companies would be able to hire more people to produce these products that spoiled, hipster kids camp out in front of chain stores to buy because they don't need to have a job.

Perhaps we should take this discussion to current front page article about how desirable Foxcon jobs are in China.

But I have to reply specifically to your suggest that Apple voluntarily pay more to the manufacturing companies for their product. I do not believe that those higher payments would result in a meaningful amount of it trickling down to the factory floor workers. Apple could try to set wage control minimums, but that would be very hard to enforce and the companies might extract those additional wages through another means (higher rent for the on the on campus housing, for example). Also such decision to give away cash would not be in best interest of shareholders, which the Board of Directors and the company Officers have a legal obligation to consider.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Perhaps we should take this discussion to current front page article about how desirable Foxcon jobs are in China.

But I have to reply specifically to your suggest that Apple voluntarily pay more to the manufacturing companies for their product. I do not believe that those higher payments would result in a meaningful amount of it trickling down to the factory floor workers. Apple could try to set wage control minimums, but that would be very hard to enforce and the companies might extract those additional wages through another means (higher rent for the on the on campus housing, for example). Also such decision to give away cash would not be in best interest of shareholders, which the Board of Directors and the company Officers have a legal obligation to consider.

China is raising it's minimum wages by huge percentage.

China province raises minimum wage by 23%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16311751

jacob11

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
I am little bit affraid about the quality. Hope the price will be less than before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.