Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Presentation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Appleton Wisconsin
My apology for such a basic question.

I went from a feature phone (dumb phone) to a Iphone4S and learning how to do the basics.

One problem came up several times and I’m sure it’s just me needing to learn how to make the phone do what I want it to do.

Say I make a call to Joe. I get Joe’s voice mail. As I’m leaving Joe a voice mail Joe calls me back.

On my screen I have two options "ignore" or "Hold call + answer".
What I want to do is end my current call and answer.
My carrier is Verizon.

Does anyone know how I would do this?

Thank you for your help.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just hold call and answer. His voicemail will eventually disconnect the call.

CMoore1950

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2014
One problem with using the hold button is you when you end the first call you place the call on hold whether they hang up or not. You then have a call on hold even if you are not going back. It does not end the first call. Then you are running minutes and most providers may charge your usage. I know happened to me and I use Sprint!

My problem is my new 5s when the second call is coming in does not give an option to end current call and pick new one up.

Is there a fix?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I had thought there was a way to do this with iOS7, but perhaps not. In any case, I'm using the iOS 7.1 beta and that gives you three options when you get a call when you're already on the line: Ignore, Hold and Answer, or End and Answer. So if you can't do it now, then you should be able to once iOS 7.1 is released in a month or so.

TyShawn

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2010
So there is no way to resume the prior call? I know how to answer the second call and place the first one on hold, but once that call ends I want to resume the first call.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I had thought there was a way to do this with iOS7, but perhaps not. In any case, I'm using the iOS 7.1 beta and that gives you three options when you get a call when you're already on the line: Ignore, Hold and Answer, or End and Answer. So if you can't do it now, then you should be able to once iOS 7.1 is released in a month or so.

I get this option with IOS7, maybe the OP doesn't have IOS7 installed?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
So there is no way to resume the prior call? I know how to answer the second call and place the first one on hold, but once that call ends I want to resume the first call.

Once the second call ends the first remains on hold. Just hit the hold button (which appears where the mute button normally is) to continue the first call.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've come across cases where after hanging up on the second call the first call that is on hold will simply ring your phone (as if a new incoming call) and you can answer to resume the call basically.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Yes when you hang up the first call your phone will ring, answer. It will be the call you placed on hold.

----------

I should have said hang "current" call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.