Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
If there's room

I think that if there's room to put a camera in, then there's room to shrink the thing (bezel at least) and make it even better as a watch. Bluetooth would be aces. I want to be able to have watch widgets for my iPhone/iPod Touch apps.. running would be cool if you could leave the business in your pocket and refer to the watch. Same with answering phone calls from your watch. If it's a camera, I'd love to see a front facing camera.. I'd love to see the Apple commercial where Dick Tracy is Facetiming from his watch.

Friss

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
Bluetooth

What a waste. No one will use such a low quality camera.

I do want bluetooth though. Then I will by a nano straight away.
Nano on the wrist together with bluetooth stereo headset while running - Now we talking!

sebseb81

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2010
FWIW, there was price drop recently on refurbished iPod Nanos... the 8GB is now at $99. Could possibly signal an imminent refresh. When I first saw the price drop, I thought the timing was rather strange, but now with all these rumors...

codyc815

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
FWIW, there was price drop recently on refurbished iPod Nanos... the 8GB is now at $99. Could possibly signal an imminent refresh. When I first saw the price drop, I thought the timing was rather strange, but now with all these rumors...

I thought the 8GB refurb went down to $99 when the regular one went down to $129

jimi78

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Only question...why? Is this really expected to sell more Nanos? I think not.

Ditch the silly camera idea, and instead build in Bluetooth 4, make it connect to the iPhone in your pocket, and have it show notifications and talk to Siri.

THAT would make for a better Nano watch. Not a 1.3 mp bozo.

/cosign

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Some day the Nano will be the wrist watch form factor voice control iPhone. It will have a camera out the edge not just front or back so it can be infinite focus, zoom still, or HD video.

It will have a head's up display in your glasses and a bone phone listener and talker (earphones and microphone).

Till then, we will be in the stone age.

Rocketman

Last edited:

gordonyz

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2009
It comes with an auto iris lens that can be affected by diffraction and blurring when the iris opening becomes too small in bright conditions. Ok, I gotta say it simply, it takes overexposed photos.

My iPhone 4S has same issue.

Dimarco

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks that the picture is a little off? It doesn't seem like the back plate goes with that nano.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I agree with the majority - a camera is totally unnecessary and as a nano-watch user, it would serve me absolutely no purpose. If it was on the front, then maybe, but it would be very awkward and possibly tiring attempting to FaceTime on it. It certainly seems futuristic in a sense, but I don't think it's a good idea.

I personally would like to see:
- bluetooth (for bluetooth stereo headphones)
- a thinner and maybe slightly concave design (again, I wear it as a watch)
- Wi-Fi/3G (I'm a heavy Pandora user)
- and a longer battery to boot.
- Maybe some way to interface with an iPhone or iPad would be cool too... notifications right on your wrist.
- Maybe use the nano as a remote shutter release for an iPhone (like if you were taking a group picture and wanted to be in it or something)

Certainly a design challenge to include all the aforementioned (probably impossible with current technology), but it would be insanely awesome.

saraviamd

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Video or pic taking on a nano is not a well developed feature. I run and I'd like to record some video while using the nike + app but I can't(nano 5th). For example if I'm running a marathon I won't stop to rec some video. So I don't think apple will add a camera to this small nano. Although video playback would be nice.

saraviamd

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

codyc815 said:

I thought the 8GB refurb went down to $99 when the regular one went down to $129

Nope it went to 109

Steveo13

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
South Carolina
A 1.3 MP camera is not going to give you any good looking photos, so what is the point of taking any? Besides, even non-smart phones come with 3.2 - 5.0 MP cameras now anyways so why wouldn't you just use that? (Assuming they don't own an iPhone)

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I don't know- it is just a prototype, according to the article. They may have no intention of releasing it any time soon, or ever, if it's even real.

I'd love to get a nano if they could squeeze a few apps on it or have it connect to the phone for notifications. That would come in handy at work like crazy. I could care less about a camera really but as long as the price doesn't shoot up I wouldn't really care I guess.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Yeah would be nice to see iPod Touch upgrades.. And I also miss the 5th generation iPod Nano..

Grinspoon

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
I reluctantly got one of the current generation ipod nanos after my 4th generation died. It simply is not as good. I had a 2 and 3 generation before that. In many ways to 3rd was the best design.

They need to go back closer to those designs, or release something similar as a new product.

As someone that listens to a lot of podcasts and long audio files, skipping ahead or back is atrocious with the touch screen. Being able to double click the lock button to play and pause makes the device usable.

With the touch screen it is also so easy to accidentally hit the wrong thing. Or have it do all sorts of random things navigating around in your pocket if you forget to lock the screen.

As someone who's had a 4 nanos, the number one issue's are control and memory size. Stuff the camera nonsense. They better have at least a 32gb model of this. It still needs some sort of physical manual form of control.

At the very least, at least a scroll button for large tracks. Trying to move your finger along a 15mm bar of a 4 hour track to find the right spot is impossible.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Scratch the camera, just please put Bluetooth 4.0 in it and have it connect to the iPhone to read messages, email and other notifications.

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
awwww

All these lil things are so cute and fun...

NOW WHERE are the Computers?
Where is the MAc Pro?

where

rrrr

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Are they going to launch it, saying that it's a revolutionary and magical feature, neglecting the fact that they already had a camera on the 5G nano? :D

Frankly I'd rather have Bluetooth A2DP support, given the whole 'watch' image.

captmatt

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks that the picture is a little off? It doesn't seem like the back plate goes with that nano.

Nope you aren't the only one. That clip does not fit that iPod. The hole and the camera don't line up. Fake, and a bad one too.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Its ok people. Even if they thought about doing this, they've already read this thread and decided...bad idea.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Or you're at the gym, your phone is in your locker, you're listening to your tunes whilst working out & you need to take a snapshot of the hot ass that just appeared on the treadmill in front of you - discreetly! Who's gonna know you're taking photos when you're flicking the screen of your music player?! I don't use the gym but this particular scenario is transferrable.

This is precisely why they shouldn't put a camera in the Nano. For people who don't want to be accused or suspected of taking photos when they probably shouldn't be (not just gyms and dressing rooms, but also high-security areas) there ought to be a music player they can use. From reading the article, it seems like the universe agrees!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.