Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
New York
So I went out today and purchased Apple TV however after hooking it all up it will not show up in iTunes I am running the current version of iTunes and have tried troubleshooting it however it has not shown any results. Any ideas?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
It isn't supposed to show up in iTunes.

not entirely true...
it should show up in the airplay menu at the bottom right of the iTunes window.

other than that, make sure you have home sharing turned on in iTunes, then go to the "settings->computers" section on the :apple:tv, and sign in there

betman

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
When in iTunes, should Apple TV show up in the menu on the left (where you have 'Library', 'Store', 'Genius', Playlists')?

One of the guides mentioned that it should show up in the bar on the left though in my case I have never seen it there.

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
When in iTunes, should Apple TV show up in the menu on the left (where you have 'Library', 'Store', 'Genius', Playlists')?

One of the guides mentioned that it should show up in the bar on the left though in my case I have never seen it there.

No, the new Apple TV does not show up under devices. The first Generation was the only Apple TV to show up there. You were synced to the first gen, you only stream to the new :apple: TV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.