Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
The Economist, the irony of your logic is profound (you call yourself 'The Economist'). You berate the value of a desktop game by comparing it to a great sale price on its portable counterpart. Yes, $0.99 is a fantastic value--it's probably under-valued; so to use it as a measure of worth against the desktop version is unfair and rather inane.

Stop giving companies your middle finger, The Econmist, and consider supporting their hard work. Or try reading a book or magazine, like "The Economist".

Last edited:

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
I understand. I was very tempted but this is basically a matter of principles. The difference between $12.99 and $0.99 is huge, I take it as an insult. Personally, it's a ripoff.

There was a time when we had to buy boxed games for a Mac but this changed when Steam was finally launched on OS X. Pricing on Steam is fair and you have something that the Mac App Store doesn't have: holiday discounts.

In example, the game 'And Yet It Moves' is priced at $9.99 on Mac App Store, while you can buy it for $2.49 on Steam. Duke Nukem Forever is $19.99 with Apple while you can buy it for $9.99 on Steam, etc. So, when EA wants 13-times the price of the iOS version for the Mac version, I kindly say no and give them the finger.

So, not only are you too cheap to pay for a $13 game, but even you agree that lower-quality games for the Mac used to be $40-100. And then you say you prefer Steam because they have significant holiday *discounts*, so you're not even willing to pay the full $10!

Basically, what I hear you saying is, "GIMME GIMME FREE FREE".

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
why pay 13$ when we can get the exact same thing for 1$?

because its not the same thing?

ignoring the ability to play on a 27" screen with a separate device controlling it is different than squinting at a 4 inch device while moving that device around..

pricing is always partially based on markets, and the two markets are very different in size and buying habits.

feel offended if you want at the price difference, but they are not the exact same thing.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I do not have the iPhone version of the game. I suspect I'd need to buy both for the Mac and the iPhone in order to get this to work?

Cheers!!

Ken

Nope, just the Mac version. It gets controlled by visiting a local URL in Safari on the iPhone.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
because its not the same thing?

ignoring the ability to play on a 27" screen with a separate device controlling it is different than squinting at a 4 inch device while moving that device around..

pricing is always partially based on markets, and the two markets are very different in size and buying habits.

feel offended if you want at the price difference, but they are not the exact same thing.

Yet, I can play the exact same game on a 32" screen via iPad Mirroring.

Jodles

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
Just bought it, and it runs fine on a 2008 alubook (9400m). But IMO it's too laggy both with the iPhone and with local controls (!). Just trying to steer with the arrow keys is laggy, and the steering itself feels incredibly unnatural. Hard to describe but it just doesn't feel like a car turning.

I love the game on my iPhone, so I sincerely hope they update it with some better steering...!

Quazimojo

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Auburn Hills,Mi
I have been wondering why none of these games ever show the requirements ?.

All it says under requirements is Mac OSX 10 etc etc and nothing more.

Talk about vague lol.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
It's a decent game with great graphics. But the car you start out with can't even go fast enough to keep you in the top ten in the race. You can't seem to accelerate fast enough to keep up plus too much drifting around the corners which ends up slowing your car down. Maybe their is too much "real" in this racing game. What I really want is all the Need For Speed games and Blur to come to the Mac natively. Would rather not have to put Windows on my Mac just to get them.

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
It's a decent game with great graphics. But the car you start out with can't even go fast enough to keep you in the top ten in the race. You can't seem to accelerate fast enough to keep up plus too much drifting around the corners which ends up slowing your car down. Maybe their is too much "real" in this racing game. What I really want is all the Need For Speed games and Blur to come to the Mac natively. Would rather not have to put Windows on my Mac just to get them.

i can only get 5th place with aggressive driving. the rest just seems to pass the default car piss easy.

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
Just adjusted the breaking assistance to very low and now I'm burning up the track. Superb game.

TurboMoses

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2012
Wow! This is like a combination of console and desktop gaming. On iOS?! Who'da thunkit. Keep it up!

DirtyDawg

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
A little info please

Can anyone tell me please if the new iMac 27" with the AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB graphics card will work with the new MAC version of this game? You really never know in my opinion whether the requirements that are set out in the listings are "minimal" requirements or what. If they are minimal, then I still need help determining whether this graphics card meets the minimal requirements. I realize that my 512MB meets them, but I have no idea rather AMD graphics meets the minimal or not. I just purchased this machine at the end of 2011. Thanks for your time.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
i can only get 5th place with aggressive driving. the rest just seems to pass the default car piss easy.

I didn't buy the most expensive stock car, but rather the cheaper one and put the savings into upgrades. Plus any winnings at all (which you get at 5th), into upgrades. And I also reduced the brake assist from 100% to 80%.. The result, even I can win now.

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
I didn't buy the most expensive stock car, but rather the cheaper one and put the savings into upgrades. Plus any winnings at all (which you get at 5th), into upgrades. And I also reduced the brake assist from 100% to 80%.. The result, even I can win now.

Aye, am going with zero assist now (got a nice badge in return!) and in my world series. It's really quite easy this racing lark. :p

jamewhite86

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
'Real Racing 2' Hits Mac App Store with iPhone

Ttracks, speedways and city circuits - including twilight and night races. Touch or tilt to steer with your iPhone, iPad - or Mac controls. This innovative control system lets you customize options to fit your personal driving style.thanks for sharing the information.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2012
Just downloaded this game for fun on a 15" MacBook Pro Retina... lol mildly entertaining, and pretty bad graphics -- by comparison with Windows games on top-notch hardware anyhow.

The fans don't even push past the minimum speed and the machine doesn't even warm up as much as when playing a Flash movie haha pretty low-requirements for the app. I'd guess it runs just fine off the HD4000 Intel graphics chip.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I was going to buy it but then I realized that while it's only $0.99 for iOS, the expect us, Mac users, to fork out $12.99 for what is basically a port from iOS to OS X.

The same number of tracks, the same number of cars, pretty much the same game.

I have the money but I also have a brain. Thanks but no thanks.

You're comparing Apples to Oranges. Literally.

The experience and thrill of racing in a diddly-tink little iOS gadget (iPhone/iPod etc) is nowhere the same as the experience when you are playing on a full-sized 27" iMac screen and your 40watt computer stereo speakers are blasting.

I partially agree with your sentiment that $12.99 might be a steep price, considering that it is just a port of a 99-cent iOS game. Still, it is reasonable to expect that the MacOSX version will at least be several dollars more simply because 1) the experience is far superior when you are playing on a full-sized computer, and 2) because the Dev actually invested extra effort and work to port it to MacOSX.

Maybe $9.99 would have been a better "sweet spot" price for MacOSX, considering all of the above?

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
this is just 1 more step for the mac to be the prominent gaming computer

Been using Macs since System 7. I'm doubtful that MacOSX will ever become a 'prominent' gaming platform.

However....

The so-called trickle-down effect from the success of the iOS devices means that some game developers (who are often surprised to see that they are becoming overnight millionaires by their success in selling iOS games) may give MacOSX a serious consideration.

Mac gaming.... been there, done that in the 1990s. Bungie and Marathon and Myth. That was also the era of MacPlay (InterPlay's huge Mac division) selling tons of Mac titles in retail stores like Fry's and CompUSA.

That was also the era when then-blockbuster multimedia eye-candy game Myst was a Mac-first game, to the jealousy of many PC gamers. A crapload of Mac shareware games companies thrived in those days... like Ambrosia and Delta Tao. Ambrosia's still around, but they don't seem to care about making Mac games any more. Parsoft and GraphSim in that era gave us top-notch Mac flight sims, on par with their PC counterparts. Hell, even Microsoft sold a Mac version of Flight Simulator 4.0 (early 90s). And then we had Maxis as well as Blizzard, in those days they were very Mac friendly companies who developed games simultaneously for MacOS and Windows.

Adddendum: and of course, in those days, small Japanese company LittleWing developed the BEST Mac-first (Windows-later) realistic physics pinball games ever. And much to my surprise, LittleWing still exists, and their online website still selling (direct download purchase only) their gorgeous pinball games, some of which are updated to be compatible with the latest versions of OSX.
http://www.littlewingpinball.com/doc/en/index.html

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.