Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following yesterday's release of OS X 10.7.3, a number of users in our forums and at Apple's discussion forums began reporting issues with the update. The most serious of these issues seems to be widespread crashing of apps generally accompanied by an artwork error in the crash notice window in which the window's buttons are replaced with graphics showing "CUI" and question marks.

cui_10_7_3.jpg

In general, users have found that applying the combo version of the OS X 10.7.3 update rather than the standard delta version typically offered via Software Update will fix the issues. The combo update can even be applied over an existing installation that is exhibiting the problem.

With the crashing issues perhaps causing users difficulties in applying the combo update to fix the problem, OS X Daily provides a nice summary of how this can be accomplished:
The simple formula is this:

- Download Mac OS X 10.7.3 Combo Updater (direct link)
- Run the 10.7.3 Combo Updater on top of the existing 10.7.3 installation
- Reboot

If you can't get to the desktop of the Mac in question, you can boot it with Target Disk Mode (Firewire or Thunderbolt required), and then point the 10.7.3 Combo Update at the troubled Mac and install it that way. If your OS X installation is totally screwed up and you can't use target disk mode, you have a few choices:

1. Restore from a recent pre-10.7.3 Time Machine backup, then install the Combo Updater
2. Boot from Recovery HD, a Recovery Drive, or Lion USB drive, and reinstall everything

Not the best situation, but hopefully you have recent Time Machine backups.
The report also notes that users who already updated and are unaffected by the issues but still concerned that there may still be issues lurking can back up their systems and simply install the combo version for peace of mind.

Update: 9to5Mac notes that Apple has put out a notice to a set of OS X 10.7.3 testers asking for feedback on the issue.
We would like to know if you have experienced an issue after updating to 10.7.3 characterized by the following: Applications crash or quit on launch, The term "CUI" and other graphic anomalies appear in dialogs and windows. If you have encountered this issue please submit a bug report. Be sure to include the following with your report: Install logs, system logs, a full System Report.

Article Link: OS X 10.7.3 Update 'CUI Error' Fixable in Many Cases with Combo Version

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
I don't feel like playing russian roulette atm. No thanks I'll pass on this update for now.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

No one ever points out the million things they do right......

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
Apple even forgot to update the PHP version in their latest update, it is still vulnerable for a DoS attack.

It's amazing how far behind Apple is on software security and how lazy they've been in fixing the many glitches with Lion. They are so concerned with their bottom line and making more iPads and iPhones that they keep slacking off on Macs.

What will Apple do as they continue to grow market share in the computer market? As they sell more Macs there will be more viruses, malware, hacks, and exploits. And given Apple's poor track record in promptly fixing software issues, their rapid growth with little concern for software security will be the undoing of them.

I hope Apple gets their ***** together.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Some people say it isn't necessary, and perhaps it isn't, but I've always sworn by the combo updater. Never had any issues using it thus far.

Ahh, some Mac news. When Im old and sitting by the ol' thermal plasma unit, my grand children will ask me

"Grandpa Toddy, what was 'OH ESS TEN'?"

"Well, my little angels...that was a wonderful operating system they used before the great 'mobile OS wars'. Why, men and women could actually do things and be productive...it was incredible."

"Grandpa Toddy, that sounds crazy! You fought in the mobile OS wars didnt you?"

"Yes my dears, thats how Grandpa lost his typing skills. [I look off into the distance with tears in my eyes] Well, enough of that old talk, lets all grab moon ice cream!"

"Yay! Moon Ice Cream!"

That is the future my friends...

Last edited:

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
I've seen graphics corruption like this on iOS, but it was a scrambled snow like image. Hopefully they work out the bug causing this on Lion AND iOS.

Max E Verde

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
New Jersey
This issue must be why I still see no updates for my MacBook Pro or Mac mini with 10.7.2 in Software Update. They must have pulled it last night. Guess I'll have to do the combo updater.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I think I will skip 10.7.3. While I do have multiple bootable backups, I don't want to waste time having to re-update. With 3 systems running Lion, I'll wait for a stable working update. Hopefully they will do something quickly. For me 10.7.2 is working fine and I see no reason to chance wrecking things.

hikikomori9000

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2004
You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

If Lion were an omelet, the omelet would be woodgrain-colored, the cheese would be on the outside, people with a frying pan over 4 years old wouldn't be able to make it - and those who could would end up throwing up the omelet every day upon waking.

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
This issue must be why I still see no updates for my MacBook Pro or Mac mini with 10.7.2 in Software Update. They must have pulled it last night. Guess I'll have to do the combo updater.

I just tried and the software update is still there. I don't want to touch it yet.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I can kind of understand bugs in Windows and Android, since they are developed to be used across all sorts of various hardware configurations. No way can the developers test out their software packages against the hundreds of thousands of possible hardware configurations out there.

However when the company controls both the hardware and the software, QA should catch these huge bugs before release.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
The only thing that's going to force me to upgrade to Lion is the fact that iCloud requires is, which is absolutely unnecessary. There's nothing compelling about Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.