Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I love iMovie and would love to see Apple step up their game with it's development.

Maybe make it easier to store all your projects on a NAS or external drive. Promote more thunderbolt drivers.

cdemiris99

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I need to know if this app allows one to pull the audio track out of a video and allow you to adjust when it starts with the video.

I have a video I shot on my i4 where the audio is out of sync and I need to fix it before I can do anything with it.

That is currently not possible, though it is on our list for a future update.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Very, VERY true...and such a small, tiny amount of folks actually make it in Hollywood...fewer still make it to the extent they are actually making a living from the craft these days.

Today, freelance is the way to go in my opinion...and it doesn't matter who you are...if YOU get the footage, YOU get the recognition. Editing isn't ALL about Hollywood blockbuster. Little, tiny 500 person towns with a single news station. Fella may be the shooter, editor, even the "on cam" dude/dudette. More and more and MORE people are in to video than ever before...and such very few ever really have the need for what "Hollywood" has the need for. And while I agree it's hard to "even make a bad film" in Hollywood...the door is opening wider for more folks to tell their stories...with decent gear and without a budget. It can now be considered a full fledged hobby...and any time looking through Vimeo, You Tube, Hulu, et al...one can find some very, Extremely compelling stories in motion!! I dig the 4-12 minute short films that are popping out...in to the thousands a day! I'm 40...by no means a spring chicken...but these new generation folks coming out of "Film School" (does it even exist any longer or isn't it all lumped in to JPC--Jouranlism/Public Comm?) have stories to tell and ways to tell them that I've never thought of...nor seen done in "Hollywood" in a new, and interesting way!

J

While certainly interesting, none of it is making any money. Sure, I could spend my time making quirky and clever YouTube videos, zero-budget short-films, etc... but that's not going to pay for my kid's education, pay my rent, or put food on the table. ...and all the myriads of kids out there willing to work for free are only making it harder for real professionals like me to make a living.

...if we sound bitter about it, it's because we are.

cdemiris99

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Exactly!! I can’t believe Avid’s doing this!!! I just switched my entire editing suite over to Avid after Apple’s FCPX farce and this is how they thank me? I’m furious!! :mad:
Oh and before anybody dares question my validity as a PRO-EDITOR-GOD, I am the personal private editor for the top Hollywood elite, with 124 triple A Hollywood blockbusters under my belt! On top of that, I cut 15 hours of footage a day that goes out to 3 billion homes every night! Anyone who has the audacity to challenge these here facts (that’s right) is an idiot!

I, PRO-EDITOR-GOD have spoken!
;)

Thanks Lone Deranger :)

To all who really are concerned about Avid's Pro dedication, understand that this product was developed by the "Creative Enthusiast" team at Avid (Pinnacle Studio and Avid Studio products). We worked closely together with the Pro (Media Composer) team to make sure that the app could appeal to professionals ('Spielburg on the beach' as we like to think of it). It definitely provides a major step up in professional features on the iPad, and we think it's still easy to use for those that just want to throw together a fun video slide show.

We will be making regular improvements and appreciate everyone's feedback.

- Chris Demiris
- (One of the developers on the Avid Studio App team)

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
(Disclosure - I am one of the developers on Avid Studio App)
Avid Studio has a very different set of features than iMovie. Most important is that we have a real timeline with frame accurate trimming. We have 3 full audio tracks where you can view waveforms for editing to your music. We provide Picture-in-Picture, Pan-and-Zoom (which iMovie also has), multi-layer compositions (called Montages), and fully customizable titles (including motion titles). I think our media library is also very strong, especially in organization (we support Events, Albums and Faces and with a large amount of media our library is very fast).

Do you have an easy way to get video from my iPhone to the iPad for editing?

tyoungbe

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Congrats!!

Congrats to the whole Avid Studio iPad team! Kudos to Chris for answering as many questions as he can. :)

The app looks slick guys, keep it up.

(disclosure, I also worked on this app)

cdemiris99

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Brilliant job on the app by the way. Happy I bought it. Any chance there will soon be a way to do layered composite blends instead of just PIP?

Also, when I went to output, the best option was 720p. That's fine for me, but curious if it actually supports 1080?

If you look in the "Montages" category, you will see some predesigned multi-layer composites (particularly in the MultiLayer Mix category there are some with 4 layers). In the future we will add more ability to customize these (though keep in mind that the iPad platform does seriously limit how much we can do).

Only two transitions, which is ok for me.. but will there be more coming?

One other thing, their are two blank video clips in my Avid Studio app library that don't appear in my videos. They are about 4 secs long, blank and no sound. How do I get rid of these? And why are they there? Nevermind... one of them is actually 4min video with a fade in from black. The other one is 4secs black that I'm guessing is slug for titles.

1080 output and many more transitions on the top of our list and will be in an update.

The 4 second black is automatically inserted if you put a transition at the start or end of project (and of course can be used for your own purposes as well).

- Chris Demiris

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
While certainly interesting, none of it is making any money. Sure, I could spend my time making quirky and clever YouTube videos, zero-budget short-films, etc... but that's not going to pay for my kid's education, pay my rent, or put food on the table. ...and all the myriads of kids out there willing to work for free are only making it harder for real professionals like me to make a living.

Nothing stays the same and nothing lasts forever. There will alway be a need for Pros, but that need will be less and less. This true every where. I am programmer, drag and drop programming is getting better and better, which will make it harder for me. But when the drag and drop program breaks, I need to be there to fix it...

tyoungbe

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Do you have an easy way to get video from my iPhone to the iPad for editing?

You can use several options.
1. Setup iCloud on both devices and they photos will sync across your devices. The app uses the media library on the device, so any changes should carry over into the app.
2. Sync both devices using your desktop so they have the same media.
3. Email the file to yourself (not ideal I know).

(also one of the devs on this app.)

skiphunt

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2002
1080 output and many more transitions on the top of our list and will be in an update.

The 4 second black is automatically inserted if you put a transition at the start or end of project (and of course can be used for your own purposes as well).

- Chris Demiris

Cool. Would love layer blending modes if processor permits. I've tried all that are available and this one is now the best hands down.

cdemiris99

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Cool. Would love layer blending modes if processor permits. I've tried all that are available and this one is now the best hands down.

The hardware (and our engine) allow for layer blending - but making it available in a clean way will take time. Thanks for the compliment, our team put our hearts and souls into this product.

skiphunt

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2002
The hardware (and our engine) allow for layer blending - but making it available in a clean way will take time. Thanks for the compliment, our team put our hearts and souls into this product.

Excellent! Your hard work shows. This app is intuitive and elegantly designed. Already the best available for the iPad. Will spread the word. Love it when I can honestly get enthused about a new product without reservations.

Big Dawg 23

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Minnesota
Its just wrong that iMovie doesn't work on my iPad 1. Works fine on my iTouch 4th Gen and prior iPhone 4. I just wanted the larger screen for scrolling for videos and pictures.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Please. "Prosumer?" They are consumers who don't know how to edit / tell a story. Just take the "pro" out of there and leave the editing to real professionals. Evvvvvvveryone's an editor these days apparently.

The art of editing is how you tell the story and how well it flows, NOT who can figure out unnecessarily clunky and unintuitive software. I love the snobby elitists who think, just because a company designs a cleaner, simpler to understand user interface, that it means they are "dumbing down" the software. I'm especially shocked at the number of Apple users who complain about this. True Apple users should know more than ANYONE that complex and unintuitive user interface is the truly "dumbed down" software.

Particularly, when this happened with FCPX, I was just shocked at some of the Apple community who claim to value design. The argument was that,must because the user interface LOOKED like iMovie,mthat it meant it was just a iMovie+. Of COURSE it would resemble iMovie, iMovie has a newer more modern interface. FCP had an interface that looked straight out of the 90s. But calling it just a souped up iMovie was incredibly ignorant, seeing as that's what FCP is supposed to be in the first place. All they did was modernize the design, make it cleaner and simpler, while adding some groundbreaking new features. Yes, I realize they left some things out, but I'm talking about the general consensus around its design.

Elitists and snobs just baffle me at times. They think they're the only ones entitled to use a product.

mutantteenager

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
This looks like a dig from Avid to Apple...

Avid dominate the professional market, and with the move of FCP X to the consumer world, I guess this is their retort - we do that as well, on your consumer device, at not much money.

----------

The art of editing is how you tell the story and how well it flows, NOT who can figure out unnecessarily clunky and unintuitive software. I love the snobby elitists who think, just because a company designs a cleaner, simpler to understand user interface, that it means they are "dumbing down" the software. I'm especially shocked at the number of Apple users who complain about this. True Apple users should know more than ANYONE that complex and unintuitive user interface is the truly "dumbed down" software.

Particularly, when this happened with FCPX, I was just shocked at some of the Apple community who claim to value design. The argument was that,must because the user interface LOOKED like iMovie,mthat it meant it was just a iMovie+. Of COURSE it would resemble iMovie, iMovie has a newer more modern interface. FCP had an interface that looked straight out of the 90s. But calling it just a souped up iMovie was incredibly ignorant, seeing as that's what FCP is supposed to be in the first place. All they did was modernize the design, make it cleaner and simpler, while adding some groundbreaking new features. Yes, I realize they left some things out, but I'm talking about the general consensus around its design.

Elitists and snobs just baffle me at times. They think they're the only ones entitled to use a product.

I think you'll find that volume of complaints about FCP X were related to removal of key features which professionals use on a daily basis. Elitism doesn't really come into it - apart from the tone of voice of some of those complaining about it.

ruledbysecrecy

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011

Do you part of the team that creates the professionals suites as well? I.e. Media Composer? And if so, would it be possible to PM with some questions for a dissertation my other half is writing about AVID?

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Chris...and the rest of the crew, now that you're visible:)

Thanks!!! Much Appreciated:)

knewsom...I'm in the same boat (thought I made that clear)...as is everyone around the country in major media (Radio, TV, Print)...you HAVE to learn the tertiary skills to stay relevant. Learn the web, turn your clients on to FB/YouTube/Google+/LinkedIn, et al...shoot web content for them, corporate video training is HUGE right now...guys and gals that truly know their way around the editing world WILL come out on top. You..YOU need to become Un "Bitter'...get creative, and make some money!!! I've got two young sons myself. I'm in the same boat! But...I'm making paper:)

J

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Definitely going to be grabbing and checking this out when I get home. I don't expect to be doing a whole lot of fancy editing with it, but I'm definitely interested in seeing how well it works.

I'm wondering what kind of ability it has to pull in video that wasn't shot or synced to the iPad- i.e., does it have iTunes drag-and-drop capability if you have footage that you want to use on your computer or another device and want to transfer it over, and also if it's limited to iOS-native formats (betting it is, but would be nice if it weren't...).

If we were still doing The Appcast, there would definitely be an iMovie vs. Avid Studio core topic in the works...

cdemiris99

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Definitely going to be grabbing and checking this out when I get home. I don't expect to be doing a whole lot of fancy editing with it, but I'm definitely interested in seeing how well it works.

I'm wondering what kind of ability it has to pull in video that wasn't shot or synced to the iPad- i.e., does it have iTunes drag-and-drop capability if you have footage that you want to use on your computer or another device and want to transfer it over, and also if it's limited to iOS-native formats (betting it is, but would be nice if it weren't...).

If we were still doing The Appcast, there would definitely be an iMovie vs. Avid Studio core topic in the works...

We are currently limited to iOS native formats (luckily that has improved with iOS 5).

We support all media that appears in your Music, Photos and Videos apps on your device (we don't support DRMd media). You have access to anything synced through iTunes, anything captured on the device, and anything imported using the camera kit.

We do have long-term goals to expand access to media external to the device.

- Chris Demiris
- (One of the Avid Studio development team)

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
1. Setup iCloud on both devices and they photos will sync across your devices. The app uses the media library on the device, so any changes should carry over into the app.

iCloud doesn't sync video?

bonehead

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2002
Lost Angeles
This app can be used completely standalone. If you do have Avid Studio on Windows, you can take a project from the iPad and continue to edit it on the desktop

- Chris Demiris

Can you export any information (EDL, bins, etc.) to Media Composer? This would make a great logging/selecting tool if it could be integrated with Media Composer.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
That's the whole point.

And it *will* cause some people to feel a little insecure.
And, IMO, the only people that should feel insecure are the people that only knew how to bush the right buttons to make the program work and built their business based on the false assumption that technology doesn't make things faster, cheaper, and better.

Everyone is also a writer, singer, programer, athlete, etc., but not everyone is good enough at one of those things to do it for a living. I've got an official NBA basketball in my garage but I'm certainly not good enough to play in the NBA.

True Apple users....
True apple users like yourself I assume? Now who's being an elitist snob?

In the words of Alan Kay, "Simple things should be simple, complex things should be possible." Apple is adding back features into FCPX to help make complex things possible which is why FCPX now is a better app than FCPX was when it first launched.

Lethal

briceman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011

Honestly I've had problems getting video from my iPhone to iPad, even trying to use iTunes sync.

I generally shoot on my iPhone (better quality anyway) and want to edit on my iPad. Any ideas?

FYI: Email won't work because it usually compresses the video.

alhasa

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
We are currently limited to iOS native formats (luckily that has improved with iOS 5).

We support all media that appears in your Music, Photos and Videos apps on your device (we don't support DRMd media). You have access to anything synced through iTunes, anything captured on the device, and anything imported using the camera kit.

We do have long-term goals to expand access to media external to the device.

- Chris Demiris
- (One of the Avid Studio development team)

If I can use this to edit non-iPhone/iPad footage, then thats a huge differentiator from iMovie.

So Chris, what you're saying is that if the iPad can play the footage, this Avid app can edit it... regardless of the device/camera used... correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.