Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfbayrealtor

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2007
san francisco bay area
Use iPad Camera Connection kit

Use the Camera connection kit, and plug your iPhone directly into the iPad (with a sync cord); it automatically pulls up the photo app allowing you to import photos AND VIDEO into iPad. Couldn't be easier...but a tad slow (since video files are a tad big! ;).

Honestly I've had problems getting video from my iPhone to iPad, even trying to use iTunes sync.

I generally shoot on my iPhone (better quality anyway) and want to edit on my iPad. Any ideas?

FYI: Email won't work because it usually compresses the video.

MordechaiCarver

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
Denver, CO
I wondered if there would be a "boohoo" cry from the "we are above you" editors in here - and indeed, it didn't take long. You must be so high up there that you even cry if someone releases a product for other people to use. I don't do any editing and I frankly don't care much about it beyond putting my home videos on DVD for the relatives so they see my son grow up (since my family lives overseas). I feel sorry for you guys who see their inflated ego threatened if someone resleases some app which makes it easier for us tech-savvy users who are willing and able to work their way into some software for hobby editing.
What I take from your post: You must not do a very good job if an app like this makes you feel that if they bring this app, they don't care for you oh so holy professionals. Does that mean you feel that what you do is actually easy to do with this program and they take away your ability to cash in?

I know this was sarcastic and sartiric, but my point is: There are quite some video editor trolls out there thinking no one else is as "pro" as they are. Once they know a program and can make cool stuff, every change or advance is seen as a threat to their ego. :cool:

FYI, my comment was EXTREMELY sarcastic. Chill. Your last two sentences was exactly my point as well. I was simply making a joke to those who cried when FCPX came out. People who think they can never change and their way is the right way. For the record I do not I do not use Avid or Premiere.
I use both FCP7 and FCPX...and I feel FCPX is on its way to being a great utility for professional editors. For those who jumped the boat and made the switch from FCP to something else so quickly, I hope they found what they needed for their workflow, but I think they'll be sorry in the long run. Luckily, I have the luxury of waiting a bit longer to use what I've been using for years before making any rash decisions.

I do not consider myself an editing god by any means (I believe no one is...that we all learn every day), but I do consider myself a professional. Maybe not by L.A. standards (not in film and major Hollywood productions), but in broadcast production nonetheless (formerly news [CBS affiliates] and currently in government access) and freelancing (multi-cam concerts, corporate videos). This ain't no hobby...it is, indeed, how I make a living.

Granted, I didn't add the "[sarcastic on] [sarcastic off] in my post, but I find it quite amusing, though, that it sparked such angry posts...

tyoungbe

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Honestly I've had problems getting video from my iPhone to iPad, even trying to use iTunes sync.

I generally shoot on my iPhone (better quality anyway) and want to edit on my iPad. Any ideas?

This article should be helpful for pulling photos and videos from one device to another via a pc/mac.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236

cdemiris99

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Can you export any information (EDL, bins, etc.) to Media Composer? This would make a great logging/selecting tool if it could be integrated with Media Composer.

Not currently ;)

----------

Does the app export a Quicktime (.mov) file?

Yes, it's normal format when rendering to a file (it will appear in Photos app when rendered, and can be synced back through iTunes) is Quicktime.

We also support upload to Youtube and Facebook currently.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Sorry, misspoke there. Video is not synced via iCloud, but your photos are. The most effective way to share video between devices is to sync to your computer for now.

Photos sync without issue with iCloud, but video drives me nuts. I want to be able to shoot some video on my iPhone and have it copied to my iPad for editing.

briceman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Use the Camera connection kit, and plug your iPhone directly into the iPad (with a sync cord); it automatically pulls up the photo app allowing you to import photos AND VIDEO into iPad. Couldn't be easier...but a tad slow (since video files are a tad big! ;).

I don't have the kit... and it's probably expensive $$

Tomacorno

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2009
Transferring video from iPhone to iPad

Do you have an easy way to get video from my iPhone to the iPad for editing?

I use PhotoSync. You install the app on both devices and they have to be on the same WiFi network but it works fairly well. I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1. I have had hiccups when selecting a lot of photos and videos at once. So now, for longer video clips (over 5 minutes) I do them one at a time. I used to use it to move photos also and still do for a photo edited on the iPad 1.

karlth

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
The App store reviews talk about scrappy performance on the original iPad.

Anyone tried it?

AvidAlex

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
If I can use this to edit non-iPhone/iPad footage, then thats a huge differentiator from iMovie.

So Chris, what you're saying is that if the iPad can play the footage, this Avid app can edit it... regardless of the device/camera used... correct?

That is correct. If iPad can play it, Avid Studio should be able to use it for editing.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010

Use an app called PhotoSync. It is universal, works on both iPhone and iPad, and transfers pics and videos at full resolution from your camera roll wirelessly. Mac companion app, as well. Best $1.99 you'll spend if this is what your after.

Also, the Cam Connection Kit works to transfer pics and vids by plugging the iPhone USB sync cable into the USB dongle on the iPad and importing away, as well. The iPad sees your iPhone as if it were a regular camera!

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Wish I had an iPad just so I could try this out. It could be great for just brainstorming and trying out shots.

I can't see it being very useful if you can't take video directly from an SD card, though. As fun as the iPhone is for video, it's pretty limited to say the least. If I could grab stuff from a real camcorder, though, that would be awesome.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Even making a bad movie is an extremely difficult thing to do. To get to the point where you can even CUT a feature film with an actual budget requires years and years of sacrifice, poop-sandwich eating, low-wages, long hours, and working your fingers to the bone.

That's what everyone with a career has to go through to get anywhere. And yet, even with all that, the entertainment industry turns out a steady stream of garbage with few gems scattered in between. But it doesn't really matter to anyone but the people who made it, because it's just entertainment. People put it on in the background as noise to tune out, or when they're bored, or stoned, or to escape reality for an hour or so. You guys aren't curing diseases, discovering the new physics, innovating anything life-changing, or building really anything of practical importance at all. You throw out and string together whats left other peoples work into... a story, for a tiny fraction of the worlds people to see. The endless award shows entertainment people hold in their own honor (televised, for our benefit, of course) is revealing of how overvalued film people seem to think they are. I have yet to see an award show for the people who actually do the work in reality that keeps life on earth from being hell on earth for you. Just because a ton of money used to pour into film (too much, by the looks of the market) doesn't mean it's some great noble wonderful thing that only genius artistes can touch. Film as art can be great, but be honest about how much film is art and how much is industrial product. Who is the most creative in film? Hollywoods studio establishment? Of course not. It's always the serious amateurs. Call them prosumers. Then they go on to be studio establishment and make the same freaking drivel the rest of you do.

Frankly I'm glad to see "entertainment" losing its ass to the internet, and being devalued back down to more realistic levels. People downloading movies illegally at such a rate that it threatens your entire industry should indicate to you that your product is not worth what you're charging for it.

Enabling more people to be creative is better. When anyone can make a film, only one in ten thousand might be worth watching, but that's still a hell of a lot more good film than we've got to choose from now.

AndyDiamond

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
The Black Lodge
Looks like a great editor for iOS..
I am a pro who uses Final Cut, ProTools, Logic, QuarkXpress, Photoshop etc - hell I even have an old G4 tower just running FreeHand MX... but I love these iOS apps - I don't always want to use FCP for video editing my iPhone movies thanks. One day iOS apps may replace 'pro' apps but until then treat them for what they are - great fun and creative.

AvidAlex

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Looks like a great editor for iOS..
I am a pro who uses Final Cut, ProTools, Logic, QuarkXpress, Photoshop etc - hell I even have an old G4 tower just running FreeHand MX... but I love these iOS apps - I don't always want to use FCP for video editing my iPhone movies thanks. One day iOS apps may replace 'pro' apps but until then treat them for what they are - great fun and creative.

+1
iPad video editing is not aimed to replace desktop editing. not yet :)

----------

Does the app export a Quicktime (.mov) file?

Yes. You can use "Video File" export option. It renders your project to Camera Roll. And it is a .mov file.

Soura2112

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2008
Cool

Very cool idea curious to see what it can do, the more tools the better.

Come on "pros" lighten up, editing is fun for everyone. I say I'm a pro just by definition of getting paid to do something. I use FCP and Adobe, I'm not upset about people learning to edit, the more competition the better, makes us better (if anyone played sports they would understand). If you have the talent and know how a person using just iMovie can make a great video.

Plus look at the big picture, this is an David marketing tool, I doubt Avid is going to make much money from an iPad app, they want you to see what Avid can really do then pay for the real deal.

The "pros" crack me up when prices drop on applications.....Sorry were not the kings cause we can afford it or work for an editing company that loads up your computer.

This is an art form, you either have it or don't, no matter the tool or price.

AvidAlex

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Congrats to the whole Avid Studio iPad team! Kudos to Chris for answering as many questions as he can. :)

The app looks slick guys, keep it up.

(disclosure, I also worked on this app)

thanks tyoungbe for your contributions to the project!

----------

I don't have the kit... and it's probably expensive $$

Camera Kit is a good way to add quality media to your iPad. It's up on the Apple store for $29. You can use it as an SD card reader or plug you device directly via USB. Here is the description from Apple:
"The iPad Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using your camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. iPad and the Camera Connection Kit support standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW, along with SD and HD video formats, including H.264 and MPEG-4. "

slowloris615

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
I wondered if there would be a "boohoo" cry from the "we are above you" editors in here - and indeed, it didn't take long. You must be so high up there that you even cry if someone releases a product for other people to use. I don't do any editing and I frankly don't care much about it beyond putting my home videos on DVD for the relatives so they see my son grow up (since my family lives overseas). I feel sorry for you guys who see their inflated ego threatened if someone resleases some app which makes it easier for us tech-savvy users who are willing and able to work their way into some software for hobby editing.
What I take from your post: You must not do a very good job if an app like this makes you feel that if they bring this app, they don't care for you oh so holy professionals. Does that mean you feel that what you do is actually easy to do with this program and they take away your ability to cash in?

I know this was sarcastic and sartiric, but my point is: There are quite some video editor trolls out there thinking no one else is as "pro" as they are. Once they know a program and can make cool stuff, every change or advance is seen as a threat to their ego. :cool:

I agree, im a professional video editor and the easier the software the better. Good editors aren't good editors because they can use software but because they can craft stories well. Most of the "editors" who freak about this are clinging to an old way of thinking and are on their way out in this business.

On a side note. this would be great if it worked off low res proxies of files so producers in the field could access video and string out storyboards and rough cuts etc etc. Would kick ass. Avid is doing amazing things nowadays and I recommend anyone who wants to get into video editing to start with it.

briceman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
I have edited feature films, and short films before on Media Composer, but for home video stuff, it's just plain overkill.

Because I only use my phone for home videos, being able to edit that on my iPad on a robust app such as this, is awesome!

Mac2012

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
At last, someone thinks to connect what editing you do on the iPad with what you do on your desktop. Apple doesn't have any software you can do that with.

iMovie for iPad edited movies cannot be read by iMovie on the Mac; I spent a few hours doing some editing on my iPad only to have to bin it all and transfer the video taken on the iPad to the Mac as if the iPad were a camera and then start all over again.

It seems Apple is so scared the iPad will undercut sales of Macs and Mac software that even THEY don't get how users think or use them!

If it's that big a deal why not do it on the mac? These aren't for doing sophisticated content, it's for rough and quick stuff, so users can post on social sites, not for pro work... but a cross platform editor would be cool, it would have to export and import pro formats. If this is what you need, get it... no reason to go on a tangent.

AvidAlex

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Please feel free to ask questions about the app. We'll try to help.

Last edited:

shastapete

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
Hey Avid Team!

I don't think I've ever got to meet you guys (I know a lot of the Avid Audio team, and I have worked closely with your NYC Euphonix guys a lot) but on behalf of my staff and crew welcome to the iPad!

This looks like amazing first steps into a steller product. I want to pass on some of the requests from my camp (and I'm sure you've heard these before)

1. We'd love to be able to view/use network shared media, even if we needed some sort of server/caching app running on a Mac to push proxies to the iPad
2. We'd love to be able to export an XML/EDL/AAF/Whatever to Avid Media Composer to continue editorial work
3. Some sort of collaborative environment to share cuts and exchange notes

I'm sure you've seen it but something in line with what ClipTouch was for FCP server, but usable in an AVID world

Thanks again for this awesome App and I look forward to seeing it progress

Peter
Creative Producer
Hilton Media Management

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

cdemiris99 said:
H3LL5P4WN said:
I need to know if this app allows one to pull the audio track out of a video and allow you to adjust when it starts with the video.

I have a video I shot on my i4 where the audio is out of sync and I need to fix it before I can do anything with it.

That is currently not possible, though it is on our list for a future update.

That would make me happier than a pig in...

I shot my friend's last concert with his band and he as well as a few fans are waiting on the footage. If you can give me a little more concrete answer to work with, You have yourself a sale.

Thank you for the reply, by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.