Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
EDIT: Open Vs. Closed Headphones

This post is old and kicking a dead horse. I have since bought a pair of audio technicas and the lesson learned from it all was for the average consumer and the target market, beats provided a decent but expensive headphone solution. Obviously, most if not all audiophiles recommend other brands that serve more of a purpose as far as sound goes for professional uses. The simple fact is, beats, have a huge marketing budget and provide they're product to the simple consumers just wanting headphones, as does Bose. Both expensive to compensate for lack of professional drivers and harmonic representation. An one who buys beats is more than likely driven by the looks of the, as well as the loudness and simplicity of them. Anyone who understands the difference between them and professional headphones, chooses the latter for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I don't know why everyone knocks the Beats so much, but I received a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's today to compare to the Beats Studio's I have. I am not impressed with the Sen's so far. I thought the noise leak on the Beats was bad... wrong, the sen's are not to be listened to in a quiet area. And in no way is that a good review. I mean all the way up they sound distorted, lose bass, and EVERYONE can hear what I am listening to. I even hooked them up to a FiiO10 and the beats impressed me even more! I can say I do like the look and feel of the 598's, but as far as sound, maybe I need a huge amp and some proferssional equipment. Not what I was looking for. I don't like the way everyone promotes Beats as a fashion statement, but I will continue to use the headphones because they sound good without requiring extra power. I still have to put them to the test to be sure though, so I will give it a chance.

Y'know, at this point, I think bashing Beats is just the lazy man's way of pretending their an audiophile. Yeah, they maybe over priced for what they are. But what they are is easily accessible higher grade audio equipment for the masses. You can buy Beats at quite a few places, if you hate them, those places often easily take them back. Unlike the higher quality stereo equipment that headphone snobs want everyone to buy, which are harder to find comparably, and come with a possible greater financial risk. Not everyone has the bucks to shell out for Grados online, only to find out they may not care for them.

Good headphones for most are comfortable headphones that push the sound type they want, and they can afford them. Those maybe Skullcandy, Sony, Senns, Bose, or whatever. Some people need to dial back their headphone snobbery, get over themselves, and enjoy their own headphones. These headphone snobs need to realize that Beats or Souls, maybe a gateway for people to discover better headphones if they are interested & can afford it. Yeah Beats are expensive, yes they are easier to get, and yeah they are a fashion statement. Then again, that sounds a lot like Apple products, and we get on people for going all fanboy on Apple stuff as well don't we? ;)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I don't know why everyone knocks the Beats so much, but I received a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's today to compare to the Beats Studio's I have. I am not impressed with the Sen's so far. I thought the noise leak on the Beats was bad... wrong, the sen's are not to be listened to in a quiet area. And in no way is that a good review. I mean all the way up they sound distorted, lose bass, and EVERYONE can hear what I am listening to. I even hooked them up to a FiiO10 and the beats impressed me even more! I can say I do like the look and feel of the 598's, but as far as sound, maybe I need a huge amp and some proferssional equipment. Not what I was looking for. I don't like the way everyone promotes Beats as a fashion statement, but I will continue to use the headphones because they sound good without requiring extra power. I still have to put them to the test to be sure though, so I will give it a chance.

In all seriousness, they're better than they're given credit for, but for £150 I personally don't think the sound is really that exceptional. I listened to these recently and thought they sounded better. The Beats have good bass but aside from that they sound like normal consumer grade headphones. That said, the Sennheiser headphones I had before that weren't really that great either.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
beats sound fine, but they are not worth the money they cost, at least in my opinion.

also OP, I think you need to remember the difference between closed and open headphones. I know you linked to a page about that, but it probably warrants modifying the original post to remove that from your complaints, as the HD598's are open and are thus expected to bleed sound.

JoshAlder

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2011
ive got studio's and i love them, to me i dont know any difference and received them one christmas, there good quality look good and people often ask me about them. People like to knock them because there expensive for what they are, people always form an opinion on something expensive, generally. as something bad and not worth the money. to me, they are really good and do exactly what i need them for.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I worked in production & broadcasting for 7 years; The sound quality of Beats is good, better than entry level or even slightly above headphones, but it doesn't match the price. Then again, I also feel Bose headphones are overprices as well, which some people disagree with. Both have a name that you pay extra for it all. And in the case of Beats by Dre, you also get some nice looking and instantly recognizable headphones.

...and there's a big difference in sound between open back and closed headphones.

:)

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I am not impressed with the Sen's so far. I thought the noise leak on the Beats was bad... wrong, the sen's are not to be listened to in a quiet area.
No. They're open back headphones, built for low distortion (easier to keep distortion low using an open back). Sound will leak out, of course.

The beats are closed back noise cancelling. Designed to keep sound in and noise out. They should leak a lot less, but at the expense of non-linearity and distortion.

And in no way is that a good review. I mean all the way up they sound distorted, lose bass, and EVERYONE can hear what I am listening to.
The beats are 7dB/v more sensitive than the Sennheiser headphones. You won't be able to drive the Sennheisers to the same volume as the beats if you're using a portable device, without the device distorting. That distortion s coming from the amp - not the headphones.

I even hooked them up to a FiiO10 and the beats impressed me even more! I can say I do like the look and feel of the 598's, but as far as sound, maybe I need a huge amp and some proferssional equipment.
I'd expect less bass from the Sennhisers, even from a decent amp. I'd guess the beats don't benefit at all from the Fii010 - because the noise cancelling amp is probably driving the headphones anyway.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
It should be noted here that pedestrian deaths are up 300%, in the last 4 years, due to people wearing noise-cancelling earphones/earbuds.

If you must use them, make sure you aren't walking/driving.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
Then again, I also feel Bose headphones are overprices as well, which some people disagree with. Both have a name that you pay extra for it all.

I agree. My buddy had the Bose noise canceling headphones and they did not impress me either.

The beats are 7dB/v more sensitive than the Sennheiser headphones. You won't be able to drive the Sennheisers to the same volume as the beats if you're using a portable device, without the device distorting. That distortion s coming from the amp - not the headphones.

Even without the dinky little amp plugged in at full volume on just my MBP the sen's sound horrible. Low volume I do love them. And the open feel is very comfortable, and there is no pressure. That is what I do like.

I'd expect less bass from the Sennheisers, even from a decent amp. I'd guess the beats don't benefit at all from the Fii010 - because the noise cancelling amp is probably driving the headphones anyway.

The beats do sound a little better with the amp. The sen's I don't really notice anything other than they can get louder, which doesn't help. It's not that there is no bass, it's the bass that IS there gets distorted at high volume.

Overall, I do know there is a difference between open and close headphones, but at first I did not. I will end up keeping the Sen's for when I want a comfortable pair of headphones without trying to go def in a quiet area. That's what the Beats are for. In no way am I an "audiophile" but I do love good sound. Especially without headphones (my cerwin vega's effin rock). For portable audio, the beats work for me. For comfortable, breathable headphones the Sen's fit nicely. I'm not disappointed, and I know what to expect from the two versions of headphones now.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
The beats do sound a little better with the amp. The sen's I don't really notice anything other than they can get louder, which doesn't help. It's not that there is no bass, it's the bass that IS there gets distorted at high volume.

Be careful with the Sennheisers. I have the 650s... and when I first got them I often found myself running them too loud. They're very dynamic and very transparent - but that can lead you to run them a lot louder than you think you are. It's possible to run them at what sounds like a moderate volume, but then notice your ears ringing after an hour of use.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
one thing I forgot to mention is that the beats are definitely going to have louder bass then the sen's. The beats are designed to dynamically increase bass (the name is "beats" after all) whereas the sen's are designed to provide linear responsiveness across the range of frequencies. For this reason, the sen's will give more "true" music playback then the beats, albeit with less bass.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
one thing I forgot to mention is that the beats are definitely going to have louder bass then the sen's. The beats are designed to dynamically increase bass (the name is "beats" after all) whereas the sen's are designed to provide linear responsiveness across the range of frequencies. For this reason, the sen's will give more "true" music playback then the beats, albeit with less bass.

I noticed this also. And I have been wearing the Sen's today multiple times. Watched a movie and Listened to music, Sounded great. The beats are produced by the dr. of hip hop, so that's obvious there is going to be bass. But I am starting to like the clarity of the Sen's. And it is kind of nice being able to hear everything still, to a point obviously. When I want to not hear anyone and be left alone, the Beats or my apple earbuds will come in handy. So I am debating keeping the 598's.

I actually got an ear infection not too long ago and I am horrible at being my own doctor, but I think the pressure from the earbuds, and beats got to me and even after it cleared up with med's the headphones brought it back. Been gone for a while, long enough to wear headphones again, and the Sen's are really helping and feel so much better on my ears. So I will keep them for now.

I usually don't make a $250 purchase without being open minded to the pro's, con's and differences between products.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 380 headphones I find to be great.

I've listened to beats headphones at stores and would never get a comparably costing pair over the Sennheiser ones I've got now.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
My honest opinion on the Studio Beats is that they aren't good enough for the price tag.

I made a thread about it a few weeks back In short; I ordered a metallic blue pair determined to form my own opinion on them, and gave them a good run around for a week. After the week, though I actually thought they were OK, for £279 I felt I was better off looking elsewhere. Still, I won't argue with someone who decides to buy a pair with their own money (kids pestering parents is a different matter altogether :mad:). There was a lot to like about them. The build quality on my pair were decent, they were very comfortable, had some nice extra features and pack-ins and looked fantastic.

As for the "hate" going about...yeah I noticed it and it's kind of irritating. While I think some of it comes from genuine audiophiles, I'm guessing the majority of it is coming from people jumping on the bandwagon.

It reminds me of some of the "hate" I got for being an early adopter of the iPod. The sight of white headphones were enough to spew an incredible amount of bile :eek:

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or maybe it has to do with pointing out you can get higher quality audio equipment cheaper. If you like them, cool. Not every criticism of something you chose to buy is "bashing," sometimes it's a valid criticism.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Obviously, not everyone is bashing them because there are a lot of people that have spent their money on them and are happy with them. They mainly get knocked in forums by audiophiles*. I have not heard them, but I know that many audiophiles knock them because they believe they are overpriced and they believe the company spends tons of money on marketing to make up for their limitations.

The reason (I believe) some of these people/audiophiles are adamant about their feelings is that they probably worry that other companies will follow their lead and spend more on marketing than materials/R&D as these companies (Bose and Monster) become the standard.

It is similar to CDs being replaced by compressed dowloads. If the market overwhelmingly responds to low quality, we may be left without quality products in certain markets.

That is my interpretation as someone that visits audio related sites and sees products like Bose and Monster (mainly their cables) getting bashed over and over again. It may or may not be true.

* While I believe a lot of the bashing is audiophiles, there are also people that HATE anything that is popular. I only addressed the first, but you can fill in the blanks about why some people feel the need to be different.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or maybe it has to do with pointing out you can get higher quality audio equipment cheaper. If you like them, cool. Not every criticism of something you chose to buy is "bashing," sometimes it's a valid criticism.

not what I am talking about. my intent was for people who go out of the way to say they hate beats. there is a big difference in criticizing and bashing a product. for example: "why do people buy beats, fanboys."
criticism? thats what I am talking about. mostly it's people who never use them or just won't buy them because of what company makes them, same for any product really.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I have a pair of beats, and my son has the sein. Hd25.

His are better IMO- but mine are louder by far.

I like the sound of his better. I got mine way back in the day (since replaced w warranty) for 175 on a special buy. I think they have given me my $ worth.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009

bdodds1985 said:

not what I am talking about. my intent was for people who go out of the way to say they hate beats. there is a big difference in criticizing and bashing a product. for example: "why do people buy beats, fanboys."
criticism? thats what I am talking about. mostly it's people who never use them or just won't buy them because of what company makes them, same for any product really.

Fair enough. I'm sure there are more than a few people out there who think my favorite earbuds are cheap junk. Mine are low-end Shures; I'm aware there's MUCH better out there, but they're a great value to me.

Not saying the Beats are junk, just agreeing that people have different tastes and priorities. It's sort of like the guy who goes out and buys a BMW, then can't stop talking about how much x model car/car mfr sucks. It's good to be happy about your purchase, but if you have to keep putting everyone else's choices down... You probably aren't really happy, but trying to justify it.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I picked up a pair of Beats Pro headphones last week, really wanting to like them but I just didn't care for the sound, particularly the heavy low-end response which I felt was very muddy and boomy and the mids were extremely recessed as a result. I was bitterly disappointed as I love the build quality and design of the headphones but I just couldn't like the sound no matter how much I tried.

I returned them and picked up a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones which I have to say are amazing, and only a fraction of the price, £135 for the Audio Technica vs £225 for the Beats Pros (Good price from Amazon, the Beats Pros are £350 RRP!).

I definitely think the Beats headphones are a fantastic example of marketing, with people prepared to fork out £££ for average headphones. Although on the other hand, it's a good thing that regular music listeners are being encouraged to take sound quality more seriously, perhaps this might encourage record labels to start taking sound quality more seriously if a higher percentage of their customers are likely to own higher quality headphones (have a look at Loudness Wars for anyone who doubts there's been a drop in CD sound quality over the years)

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Here in the Netherlands, young people were warned about wearing them as there had been quite a few street robberies for these Beats Headphones. Because they are distinctive they made the job of the robber easer, just grab them and run.

Samskeyti

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
I think the complaint is that you can get something with similar quality for a third of the price. People also claim a bass-priority, and that it really isn't good for anything but hip-hop. They're more of a fashion statement, and that's what you're paying for.

If you're spending that much for headphones, you can get the equally priced Bowers & Wilkins P5 with assured high quality and (imo) sexier look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.