Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayrcee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
USA
I just bought a 2011 Mini Server (i'm a switcher :)) and am planning to swap in a Samsung 256GB SSD. The SSD has been formated to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Should I upgrade the firmware prior to installing the SSD, and if so, how best should I do this?
Thanks!

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
I just bought a 2011 Mini Server (i'm a switcher :)) and am planning to swap in a Samsung 256GB SSD. The SSD has been formated to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Should I upgrade the firmware prior to installing the SSD, and if so, how best should I do this?
Thanks!

I too want to do the samething. Unfortunately it looks like we have to plug the drive up to a windows machine and perform the update.

Jayrcee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
USA
Thanks for the responses! Guess i'm going to have to stay with the firmware that the ssd came with since I don't have a Windows machine anymore.

archangel37

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2005
If you're talking about updating BEFORE you install Lion, you're probably without options. I think you should be able to update the firmware in boot camp through a Windows partition, but only after you install Lion. That's my goal.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
If you're talking about updating BEFORE you install Lion, you're probably without options. I think you should be able to update the firmware in boot camp through a Windows partition, but only after you install Lion. That's my goal.

I am not so sure. Please let us know if you can get it to work that way. If it does work please make a thread on it.

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
I ended up plugging up my new 128gb samsung 830 ssd to a windows pc and updating the firmware. Firmware update fine and installed into my mid 2011 mac mini 2.5ghz with 8gb g.skill ram. All i can say is that I dont think i can ever go back to a HDD, SSD is definately the way to go.

archangel37

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2005
I am not so sure. Please let us know if you can get it to work that way. If it does work please make a thread on it.

I was able to get the 830's firmware updated with Samsung's Magician SSD software under boot camp/Windows 7. Once I installed the software, it reported a new firmware. I downloaded it, found it using Magician, and then updated. A restart later, and I can confirm it is the same firmware as reported by the Samsung downloads website.

In contrast to OWC's firmware update software(s), this one worked like a charm.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I was able to get the 830's firmware updated with Samsung's Magician SSD software under boot camp/Windows 7. Once I installed the software, it reported a new firmware. I downloaded it, found it using Magician, and then updated. A restart later, and I can confirm it is the same firmware as reported by the Samsung downloads website.

In contrast to OWC's firmware update software(s), this one worked like a charm.

thanks I wonder if windows 7 with vm fusion will do the trick.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've had no problems with OWC or OCZ current Linux boot disk methods to update the firmware. I can confirm that you can update the firmware over Thunderbolt as well which is good news because you can put any Thunderbolt Mac in target disk mode and update from another Mac with bootcamp. No need to have bootcamp on each machine.

I would not try running a firmware update through a VM. The complete path through to the SATA controller is virtualized. This will most likely result in bricking your SSD, if the tool even starts. Good tools will recognize this and prevent the user from updating the firmware.

archangel37

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2005
What machine did you use to update the OWC SSD?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've had no problems with OWC or OCZ current Linux boot disk methods to update the firmware. I can confirm that you can update the firmware over Thunderbolt as well which is good news because you can put any Thunderbolt Mac in target disk mode and update from another Mac with bootcamp. No need to have bootcamp on each machine.

I would not try running a firmware update through a VM. The complete path through to the SATA controller is virtualized. This will most likely result in bricking your SSD, if the tool even starts. Good tools will recognize this and prevent the user from updating the firmware.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I attempted to update the firmware on the 2011 Mac mini, 2010 27" iMac, and 2011 15" MBP using the OWC utility. I got the utility to boot to Linux and start the firmware upgrade process, but alas the Mercury Extreme Pro 3G and 6G version were already current. The OCZ Linux boot disk were test on the 2011 15" MBP and the 2011 Mac mini. For reference, I have a LaCie Slim Blu-ray RW USB powered.

archangel37

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2005
I attempted to update the firmware on the 2011 Mac mini, 2010 27" iMac, and 2011 15" MBP using the OWC utility. I got the utility to boot to Linux and start the firmware upgrade process, but alas the Mercury Extreme Pro 3G and 6G version were already current. The OCZ Linux boot disk were test on the 2011 15" MBP and the 2011 Mac mini. For reference, I have a LaCie Slim Blu-ray RW USB powered.

Ah, yeah, maybe had it not been current, we could have seen whether you would have had a problem like mine or not. Thanks again!

spartan86

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
North
You can find the update utility on samsung's website. They even have an iso image if you want to update from linux/mac/noOS. I've no Mac right here to test it, so you maybe need to use refit to boot from USB (if you make a bootable usb from the iso). Basically it will be the same as booting in bootcamp when you want to install windows. Instead you'll get the update utility running.
Have a nice weekend!

iceman600

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
will this OWC utility will work for updating samsung 830? can you provide a link for that utility? thanks...

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
will this OWC utility will work for updating samsung 830? can you provide a link for that utility? thanks...

The Samsung drive is completely different to the OWC one. OWC uses a Sandforce controller; Samsung uses a Samsung one. It best, it'll refuse to run because it can't find a compatible drive; at worst, it'll brick your drive.

Would, for example, you try and apply a PS3 firmware update to an Xbox 360? After all, they're both consoles.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011

The OWC utility will only update the firmware for OWC drives. It will not even recognize other Sandforce based drives. This is the same for the OCZ utility. Both utilities are bootable Linux distributions with the appropriate drivers to allow for flashing.

Create a small bootcamp partition and update from there if you have no other choice. You can easily delete the bootcamp partition afterwards and reclaim the space for OSX. Thankfully, firmware updates for SSDs are infrequent.

mund

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Great Lake State
Would this work.... if not pardon my lack of technical expertise.

The OWC utility will only update the firmware for OWC drives. It will not even recognize other Sandforce based drives. This is the same for the OCZ utility. Both utilities are bootable Linux distributions with the appropriate drivers to allow for flashing.

Create a small bootcamp partition and update from there if you have no other choice. You can easily delete the bootcamp partition afterwards and reclaim the space for OSX. Thankfully, firmware updates for SSDs are infrequent.

My Samsung 830 is due to be delivered today. I have a MBP & iMac, with an old (6yrs) HP NW8000 portable workstation laptop. I heard that I can call Samsung and based on the serial number of the drive, they can confirm which Firmware rev. it is at. If I need to update to the most recent rev.....

Would using the supplied SATA - USB cable, the usb end plugged into my laptop, with the Samsung software installed, update the firmware through this connection?____________ or does it have to be SATA TO SATA to do?____

If so, this sucks!

Does the SSD need to have Lion installed on it prior to upgrading the firmware?_____ If not... can I run over to a neighbor, rip their Windows desktop system apart, plug my SSD in, install the software and update my firmware?_____ ... not kidding, because I have no means of updating it if the above will not work... no windows on my MBP or iMac.

Always something...

jonathan999

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
My Samsung 830 is due to be delivered today. I have a MBP & iMac, with an old (6yrs) HP NW8000 portable workstation laptop. I heard that I can call Samsung and based on the serial number of the drive, they can confirm which Firmware rev. it is at. If I need to update to the most recent rev.....

Would using the supplied SATA - USB cable, the usb end plugged into my laptop, with the Samsung software installed, update the firmware through this connection?____________ or does it have to be SATA TO SATA to do?____

If so, this sucks!

Does the SSD need to have Lion installed on it prior to upgrading the firmware?_____ If not... can I run over to a neighbor, rip their Windows desktop system apart, plug my SSD in, install the software and update my firmware?_____ ... not kidding, because I have no means of updating it if the above will not work... no windows on my MBP or iMac.

Always something...

I would also like to know the answer to this.
Buying an 830 series SSD shortly, and I've not been able to find out how I can do two things:
1) Update the firmware easily (i.e. without needing windows)
2) Optimize the disk (all Windows install info I see says to use Magician to "optimize" the disk).
3) A third point. I'd like to know if it is possible to enable the self-encryption? The commercial version of the drive (basically identical) supports encryption, but have found no info on whether or not if there is any way to activate it, or not, on the consumer version.

uktivo

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Sorry to hijack the thread but I though it best to add to an existing one save creating a new one.

I've got a samsung 830 ssd drive (512gb) yesterday. I've come into my office today to update to the latest firmware on a windows machine. Here is my issue.
I've downloaded the latest samsung software Magician. I've plugged in the USB adaptor and connected the ssd. The machine sees the drive.. it calls it a USB Production in windows. But when I open the magician software, it can't see the drive at all.

Can any one give any pointers please? I'm lost...

----------

oops sorry wrong system. please ignore

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Sorry to hijack the thread but I though it best to add to an existing one save creating a new one.

I've got a samsung 830 ssd drive (512gb) yesterday. I've come into my office today to update to the latest firmware on a windows machine. Here is my issue.
I've downloaded the latest samsung software Magician. I've plugged in the USB adaptor and connected the ssd. The machine sees the drive.. it calls it a USB Production in windows. But when I open the magician software, it can't see the drive at all.

Can any one give any pointers please? I'm lost...

----------

oops sorry wrong system. please ignore

Usually you can't update an SSD's firmware via a USB adapter because the firmware utility then detects the USB controller, not the SSD itself. You have to connect it to the SATA port :(

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Do I need to upgrade the firmware of the Samsung 830 first, then format it for my iMac, or does it not matter which is done first?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Do I need to upgrade the firmware of the Samsung 830 first, then format it for my iMac, or does it not matter which is done first?

you need put it in a windows machine check the firmware update if needed pull from the windows machine put in a mac format for mac done.

of course if the ssd is new it may have the new firmware.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
you need put it in a windows machine check the firmware update if needed pull from the windows machine put in a mac format for mac done.

Thanks for that. I'm going to the Samsung 830 from a corsair SSD, did I make the right choice?

dellsweig

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012

All

The process for non-windows system is easy and built into the Samsung uility.

Under the Windows based utility (firmware upgrade) there is an option to create either a USB bootable ot CD bootable upgrade disk. Simply create the media and boot your MAC - new drivers are applied from there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.