Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several Apple TV users have reported a new addition to the menus of their devices, with the new option bringing Genius recommendations for movies and TV shows in their libraries. Curiously, early reports noted that rather than carrying a correct menu title, the movie option carried the name "ATV.Menu.MOVIE.GeniusItem", suggesting that the new feature may have appeared prematurely. Apple seems to have fixed the issue, however, with the menu option now showing properly as "Genius".

apple_tv_genius_option_combined.jpg
Improperly-displayed (left, via @cthielen) and properly-displayed Genius option for Movies on Apple TV
Despite the strange display of the menu option, the feature does appear to have been functional since its initial appearance yesterday, with users being able to access Genius recommendations for their content.

apple_tv_genius_page.jpg
Genius movie recommendations on Apple TV (via @benfurneaux)
Genius recommendations for movies and TV shows have been offered for some time in iTunes itself through the iTunes Sidebar, but those recommendations have not been available on the second-generation Apple TV. Genius recommendations are also available through the iTunes app on iOS devices.

Article Link: Genius Recommendations for Movies and TV Shows Appearing on Apple TV

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
"ATV.Menu.MOVIE.GeniusItem"
is a "key" used by developers to specify a text resource. The system would look up this unique "key" and find the correct text for the user's locale (language and location) preferences. By default, if the system can't find the text resource, it simply hands back the key that was passed in. If developers used readable text as their keys, that works fine, but since Apple's obviously using developer-centric keys, to more easily identify the exact resource, it displayed something not quite legible.

dckcentaur

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I noticed this last night and thought it was very bizarre. I thought my apple Tv had a glitch in it. HA HA:D

rti92391

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
New Features

They seem to be there on mine...but its only a Genius for movies you've purchased from the iTunes Store.
Also, there's a section called TV Networks...Not sure that was there before or not

Pippy007

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
Also, Netflix is now on iTunes in the UK which I presume is part of this update but everything is either very slow or hanging.....

----------

Also, Netflix is now on iTunes in the UK which I presume is part of this update but everything is either very slow or hanging.....

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
This is all just part of leading up to Apple's event showing off their new TV's. Whenever that is...

Pippy007

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
Also, Netflix is now on AppleTV in the UK which I presume is part of this update but everything is either very slow or hanging.....

----------

TV networks works ok but Netflix is not responding but why can't we get rid of this silly MLB & WSJ crap, why would we want that in the UK???

We should be able to customize our ATV....!

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
"ATV.Menu.MOVIE.GeniusItem"
is a "key" used by developers to specify a text resource. The system would look up this unique "key" and find the correct text for the user's locale (language and location) preferences. By default, if the system can't find the text resource, it simply hands back the key that was passed in. If developers used readable text as their keys, that works fine, but since Apple's obviously using developer-centric keys, to more easily identify the exact resource, it displayed something not quite legible.

The "strange appearance" of the key provides a namespace to differentiate similar keys used elsewhere. Had they used "Genius Item" as a key, they would run into collisions with other keys that would also be named "Genius Item", say for a Song Genius Item.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Did this show up without a software update?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
In the meantime, Apple got rid of Genius where it's most important: music. If you have iTunes Match, you lose this feature. I hope they fix that, it's become one of my favourite things about the iTunes ecosystem.

vicliner

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

All "tv networks" seem to do is show me Genius results. Glad it wasn't just me. Thought I was going crazy.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This is all just part of leading up to Apple's event showing off their new TV's. Whenever that is...

Or Apple not having an event before quietly releasing their updated little black box which could be all they have ever been planning to do

----------

TV networks works ok but Netflix is not responding but why can't we get rid of this silly MLB & WSJ crap, why would we want that in the UK???

There are Americans etc living in the UK just as there are Brits in the US. As they get deals with 'local' sports etc both sides will likely see those things added.

subatomicsatan

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Last night, I was watching Netflix via my AppleTV, when it suddenly sort of rebooted...I say sort of because it didn't seem to go through the full boot up; Netflix suddenly quit, the screen went dark for a bit, and then I was at the main menu with the new menu option (the dev key version).

So, no software update, but a weird reboot.

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
One has to wonder with tweaks to the AppleTV, AirPort/Time Capsule Firmware Updates, and the release of AirPort Utility 6.0 if Apple isn't quietly readying for 802.11ac.

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007

I'd be happy with purchased movies in the cloud, like they did with tv. I'd probably purchase previously ripped movies just to get them off my MBP.

peejer

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
TN
I was getting the Apple TV ready last night for the baby sitter and noticed the new feature. Of course being a geek I pointed this out to my wife who could have cared less.

I think it's a pretty good idea.

ebengtso

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
In the meantime, Apple got rid of Genius where it's most important: music. If you have iTunes Match, you lose this feature. I hope they fix that, it's become one of my favourite things about the iTunes ecosystem.

In ios 5.1 you get this back, yet the to make up the mix, Genius needs the music downloaded to your device.

I would rather have a Mix with musics on the cloud and locally.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Weird to see a new genius thing considering Apple removed Genius from iOS devices when iTunes Match is enabled.

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
cool but......

i would love to use it, but we have really small selection in movies. hopefully it will improve soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.