Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laidbackal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
So I have had my iPhone for about two months, the battery is what I have an issue with. My battery usually last only 5 hours for the usage sometimes less. Standby by varies it is usually 12-14 hours I would say. I have location services on but only for the find my iPhone option. Everything in system services is off. My signal is usually 2-3 bars. Wifi signals is usually 2-3 also. On my mail account I have icloud set up but the mail account is inactive so it shouldn't use battery or does it. I cloud backup is off too. Browsing the web using wifi I use it for about 2-4 hours a day. My screen brightness is on half brightness so 50%. Wifi is off everytime I'm done using the Internet. That's is all I can think of.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
5 hours is pretty good as far as usage goes , Restore as new , reset settings , normal troubleshooting completed?

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
So I have had my iPhone for about two months, the battery is what I have an issue with. My battery usually last only 5 hours for the usage sometimes less. Standby by varies it is usually 12-14 hours I would say. I have location services on but only for the find my iPhone option. Everything in system services is off. My signal is usually 2-3 bars. Wifi signals is usually 2-3 also. On my mail account I have icloud set up but the mail account is inactive so it shouldn't use battery or does it. I cloud backup is off too. Browsing the web using wifi I use it for about 2-4 hours a day. My screen brightness is on half brightness so 50%. Wifi is off everytime I'm done using the Internet. That's is all I can think of.

First of all, turning your brightness down to 25% should net you about a half an hour. Mistake #1.

#2, You said you only get 2-3 bars (out of 5) for signal strength. This MAJORLY effects battery life as it ties to search for a better signal.

18-20 hours of Standby and 6-7 Hours of usage is great battery life. When you do the math, you realize you're getting almost a day's worth of a charge (24 full hours).

The only issue I see is how your brightness is and your weak signal. Those are major effects on battery life. Sure you may squeeze another 30 minutes of usage and 2-3 hours of standby if your signal strength was improved (and brightness down for usage time) but really, you're getting good battery life.

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Thats about what I get on my 4S. The thing about smartphones is that we tend to use them far more than regular cellphones, plus they have a lot more to do (better, faster, more powerful internals, WiFi and 3G going all the time, push notifications etc) however battery technology hasn't improved all that much. This is why a lot of smartphones are hindered by poor battery life.

Laidbackal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Yeah I read on here about people getting 6-8 hours of battery life and 24-26 hours of standby thought something was wrong.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I can't see at 25% but good tips.

25%-30% is more then enough for indoor usage (sometimes I find it even too bright in darkness). If you can't see it you might need glasses. Adjust to your needs outdoors.

These aren't tips, these are facts. I've done this with every iPhone I've owned and never once had battery problems that couldn't be solved by fixing my settings. I have iCloud on at full blast(not with older iPhones obviously, just my iPhone 4s), location services on, full 5 bars of signal strength and WiFi on at all times. I get 22 hours of standby and 7.5 hours of usage. This includes heavy gaming, web browsing, texting, netflix, etc.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Yeah I read on here about people getting 6-8 hours of battery life and 24-26 hours of standby thought something was wrong.

8 hours of use and 24 standby I am calling bs on that. Your phone is fine.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Hm so 25% would be near the b or the r.

Gage it by about 1/4th of the bar. Even if your a little over or a little under you'll still only see that extra (barely) 30 minutes of usage/1-2 hours of standby.

The major issue is the weak signal strength. It keeps trying to get a better signal thus causing more strain on the battery then normal.

Laidbackal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Yeah I always have 2-3 bars sprint is bad.

----------

I forgot to add I have cell network search off would that help with my signal or no jare.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Thats about what I get on my 4S. The thing about smartphones is that we tend to use them far more than regular cellphones, plus they have a lot more to do (better, faster, more powerful internals, WiFi and 3G going all the time, push notifications etc) however battery technology hasn't improved all that much. This is why a lot of smartphones are hindered by poor battery life.

I often hear people say "My old flip phone would go a week between charges". yeah, great, but I bet you used that old flip phone less in a week than you do your smartphone in a day. Apple to oranges, IMO. As you said, people are doing a whole lot more with their phones. When something is used more, it stands to reason it drains the battery faster.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Just to show you some proof I'm not making it up:

dTNae.png

No music, heavy Asphalt 6 gaming. WiFi on at all times, heavy texting & web browsing. Two hour-ish long phone calls as well.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Sorry, I'm calling BS on this one.

Go for it, maybe you should read the post above you. 25% battery left with almost 6 hours of usage/21 hours of Standby.

I'm sorry, you thought you were right again why exactly?

Here's an update:

ACPw8.png

Last edited:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I can't see at 25% but good tips.

Yea, 25% is way too dim for me too, my eyes have to strain a bit to see the screen, and I definitely do not need glasses lol. It must be a personal preference or some people live in really dark places.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.