Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miao Ying

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
I was wondering if anyone knows if there exists a hack that would allow the iPad's camera connection kit to an iPhone. I have a 64gb 4S and it would really help than when I'm out taking photos on a seperate camera, I could easily import files. It would be great to back files up if I ran out of space or simply wanted to use the newly taken pictures to share on social networks or send to friends. I know I could simply use the built in camera, however I like to use my DSLR more so for that purpose.

Any help or information would be really appreciated :D

bluemonkeyguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
same here. still looking for one but cant find anything. damn you apple for removing this feature from ios5 beta. the only thing i found close to was a guy on a forum found a way to allow midi devices to communicate with apps but was unable to mount (actually using flashdrives and external drives) any drives to the iphone.

Miao Ying

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
It'd be one of the more convenient features (for owners of the kit) if only someone else in the jailbreak developing community has thought of it lol.. I would assume that they would only need to work around the restriction stopping it from functioning like it normally does on an iPad. I don't even see why it shouldn't work, darn you apple *sigh*.

radientkiller

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
iPad camera connection kit working on iPhone

It'd be one of the more convenient features (for owners of the kit) if only someone else in the jailbreak developing community has thought of it lol.. I would assume that they would only need to work around the restriction stopping it from functioning like it normally does on an iPad. I don't even see why it shouldn't work, darn you apple *sigh*.

Some guys managed to enable it on the iPod Touch 4g running iOS 5.0.1 .. hopefully we will see it working on the iPhone soon, perhaps even on the latest 5.1?

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvWEDNh4vvs

Miao Ying

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Well thank goodness someone started figuring something out, thanks for the update radientkiller!

Miao Ying

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
I'm still looking for a solution to this if anyone is aware. The link provided earlier seems to be dead in the water as the creator hasn't updated in a long time or it looks like he'll only do so pending donations.

Miao Ying

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Hate to do this but its been a long time without any news.. as proven by the link video a tweak is possible to allow this. If anything is there somewhere we can make suggestion for tweak developers to work on something like this.. or am I gonna have to learn to do it myself? Again any good leads are appreciated.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hate to do this but its been a long time without any news.. as proven by the link video a tweak is possible to allow this. If anything is there somewhere we can make suggestion for tweak developers to work on something like this.. or am I gonna have to learn to do it myself? Again any good leads are appreciated.

The just-released CameraConnector does work on both the iPhone 4S and iPod touch 4. It does NOT work on the iPhone 3GS (very first series, 2009 Summer). Tested all under 5.1.1 and with a

- Logitech Cordless Desktop S530 Mac (wireless, with a dongle)

- Nortek Lynea wired keyboard

Known error: it'll only recognize the keyboard after you disconnect it. After that, you'll need to reboot to make it work again. Respring doesn't work.

Also see http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/cameraconnector-cydia-tweak-ios/

----------

Some guys managed to enable it on the iPod Touch 4g running iOS 5.0.1 .. hopefully we will see it working on the iPhone soon, perhaps even on the latest 5.1?

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvWEDNh4vvs

It works now, see my prev. post.

Miao Ying

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
The just-released CameraConnector does work on both the iPhone 4S and iPod touch 4. It does NOT work on the iPhone 3GS (very first series, 2009 Summer). Tested all under 5.1.1 and with a

- Logitech Cordless Desktop S530 Mac (wireless, with a dongle)

- Nortek Lynea wired keyboard

Known error: it'll only recognize the keyboard after you disconnect it. After that, you'll need to reboot to make it work again. Respring doesn't work.

Also see http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/cameraconnector-cydia-tweak-ios/

----------

It works now, see my prev. post.

Thanks so much for this update! Do you happen to know if this functions to allow the SD card reader to be used on an iphone/ipod? Considering that it allows the USB device to work, I wonder how it also handles flash or external usb hard drives. I would test this myself but I do not have the connection kit with me at work.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks so much for this update! Do you happen to know if this functions to allow the SD card reader to be used on an iphone/ipod? Considering that it allows the USB device to work, I wonder how it also handles flash or external usb hard drives. I would test this myself but I do not have the connection kit with me at work.

Tested; no success so far. Will report back as soon as i have some + results.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Tested; no success so far. Will report back as soon as i have some + results.

Tested a USB memory stick otherwise working on the iPad 1 / 3.

No success at all - it isn't mounted at /var/mnt/mount1, unlike on the iPad 3, where it is mounted. (Actually, there isn't a /var/mnt/ at all; and the /mnt in the root doesn't mount it either.) That is, you surely can't connect a mass storage device to an iPhone.

Gordonpn

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Canada
Tested a USB memory stick otherwise working on the iPad 1 / 3.

No success at all - it isn't mounted at /var/mnt/mount1, unlike on the iPad 3, where it is mounted. (Actually, there isn't a /var/mnt/ at all; and the /mnt in the root doesn't mount it either.) That is, you surely can't connect a mass storage device to an iPhone.

Wait, you can connect a USB flash drive and be able to read stuff from it? I thought that wasn't allowed anymore since iOS 4.x?

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Wait, you can connect a USB flash drive and be able to read stuff from it? I thought that wasn't allowed anymore since iOS 4.x?
With iFile+CCK+iPad it has been possible all the way on 5.x.

Thanks for the update Menneisyys2, but it seems to be too buggy/non-trustable as of now...

Agusalex

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
Dang. Hopefully the dev will be able to make this work for MIDI keyboards and the like, butchering the need for an Audio interface, for instance.
Well, youll be glad to know that I tried my Korg Nanokey usb keyboard on my ipod via the Camera Conection kit and works great! All you need to do is download the cameraconector from cydia and then give it a try, youll have to unplug the keyboard several times until it works
I tested it with music studio and worked without problem
Btw its an ipod 4g running ios 5

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Well, youll be glad to know that I tried my Korg Nanokey usb keyboard on my ipod via the Camera Conection kit and works great! All you need to do is download the cameraconector from cydia and then give it a try, youll have to unplug the keyboard several times until it works
I tested it with music studio and worked without problem
Btw its an ipod 4g running ios 5

Wow!! Thanks a lot for sharing, will test later on. Unfortunately I have all my devices on iOS 6 now, but hopefully it works/will work on iOS 6.
What a coincidence that a Nanokey2 is on its way home ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.