Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LNYMRKO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
I recently deleted and re-downloaded Facebook, Facebook Messenger (along with Instagram) apps as they seemed to be growing in terms of the space they were using (assuming cache that wasnt clearing) and taking up all the free space on my iPhone.

That is resolved now, however for Facebook and Facebook Messenger the red icon badges are no longer showing. I still get the notification in the lock screen and notification centre (iOS5) as per normal, but no little red icon badge with the numbers anymore.

Have logged out of them, rebooted iPhone (4/32GB) and logged back in, checked the notification settings etc are all correct, turned the "badge app icon" off and on, turned the notification centre setting off and back on, even deleted and re-downloaded them both again..

Anyone come across this and know how to fix it?

Reactions: walflowr013

tkauftheil

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2009
Just wanted to say I am seeing the same here too. Did the reboot, reload, check settings and all that jazz too. Still no red badges.

I don't have a solution, but I suspect that being the app seems tpo be more of a glorified web app these days, and that fb makes network changes more frequently then i change socks, I can only assume it is an issue on fb's server side. they prolly did some updates reciently and someone forgot to check a box somewhere.

Just wanted to chime in to say you are not the only one with that issue.

LNYMRKO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
Glad its not just me then, or something I'm doing wrong!

Also seems that notifications for these 2 apps aren't automatically clearing themselves from notification centre either anymore.. e.g clicking on a new message in the notification centre and replying.. go back into notification centre and its still there as unread :confused:

matt897

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
I got the same problem, about the icon badge app, in these days. Now that I've read you messages, guys, I assume it's a problem of Facebook and not of our iPhone.

I hope they'll fix it very soon. Icon badge was really useful! :\ I want it back :)

eightdown

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
ok, this is happening to me as well. i deleted the app, reinstalled...that didn't work. i also ended up doing a full restore (not just because of the facebook app icon) which also did not work. has anyone figured out what the problem is?

matt897

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
I noticed that the day before yesterday the icon badge appeared again on the Facebook Icon. Not on the Fb-Messenger one. I didn't re-installed the app so I bet it's a "facebook problem". :\ I hope they'll fix it soon even if the icon badge on the Facebook app works well... it's good as well, for now.

micromaster

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Im having this same issue too, even when I read the messages they still stay in the notification center. Its really annoying, and it only happens with fb messenger for some reason.

Anyone found a fix yet? Or the cause at least?

Ed-Hall

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
Badge Notification Issues

I'm also having the issue with badge notifications not showing on my Facebook app & I have tried all the above without a fix. I'v emailed Facebook mobile to report the error (not sure what good it will do.) I have the iPhone 4S 16g. This is very annoying as I only use the badge notifications. Let's keep this thread going until we find a fix.

I did notice last night that it started working again for about 2 notifications, thought it was fixed but then it stopped again. Maybe we will just have to wait for a Facebook update as there are lots of issues with this app.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
Same here. I've went to every extra mile I could think of.

I've restored OEM, set up phone as new phone, then only let my contacts sync via iCloud, then I downloaded the fb messenger app from app store. Still a no go. I have push enabled, and all the notifications enabled as well.

Same with the Facebook app. The sound alerts work for both, banner notification works for both, and alert notification work for both. THe only issue I have is with badge icon notification.

z1ross

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2009
Same problem here!

I even went as far as editing the backup configs and restoring those. Still not working!!! I too only use the badges, and its very annoying!!!!

Please Fix this!!

Ed-Hall

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
I know it's a long shot but this started happening to me after recently dowloading and using AirMusic app. Any of you guys got that? Just to eliminate that from the equation for me.

Bajaz001

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Happening to me too. It's really annoying as the notifications will stay in the Notification Centre until cleared manually.

I dont get, how big company like Facebook cant write proper app. Messenger and Facebook suck big time nowdays.

luchosoto

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and I too have the same issue as you guys. Turns out that I got a 4S two weeks ago and I only receive banners and lock screen notifications for both facebook and facebook messenger, but no badges at all. Bages will only show on the facebook app once I launch the app and then close it, but that's pointless. Needles to say I've tried every trick on the book (hard reset, restore, set as new iphone, new Apple Id, etc etc etc...) What's more, push notifications on my 4S are not as consistent as I expect them to be.

I downloaded an app called "iPush Tset" (free on itunes) which allows you to check if you have push notifications working on your device. Well, I mussay that 50% of the times I test push notifications in that app, it will alert me in a split second that push is working. The remaining 50% either will take ages to alert me push is working, or won't alert me at all (especially when the phone is sleeping, over Wi-Fi)... over 3G, push seems to be more reliable (from what I've experienced)

So I'm kind of giving up on this and coming to terms with tha fact that push on 4S is quite sketchy and fickle....

Ed-Hall

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
I think it's just Facebook that's sketchy mate, as this is the first & only issue I'v had with notifications on my 4S, also it was working fine up until about 10 days ago... The app is riddled with bugs unfortunately.

MikeRVA

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
Richmond, VA
My FB and FB Messenger badges stopped working about a week or so ago as well. I've also noticed that my Groupon badges are not appearing either. It seems as though some have stopped, but not all.... So, I'm pretty sure it's in the apps, not in the iOS, since it's not affecting ALL apps.

cherrybabe

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Same error with lockscreen notifications

Hi guys!

I have a similar problem with my FB messenger. I don't get any icon badges nor do I get a notifications while my iPhone is locked. Anyone experiencing this as well? I setup everything correctly...

luchosoto

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
We're all on the same boat here. It's the Facebook apps' fault. All other notifications get pushed to my phone without problems, at least in my iPhone.

LNYMRKO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
We're all on the same boat here. It's the Facebook apps' fault. All other notifications get pushed to my phone without problems, at least in my iPhone.

X2, no problems with any other apps/notifications, just those two. Thanks for the link, hopefully the Facebook team will resolve the issues with the apps soon! Seems everytime they update it or make changes to the website itself it just breaks more things!

A lot of the time it is easier just to use Safari to view Facebook as the Facebook app itself tends to crash and not refresh quite often.. which you would think they'd have fixed by now! Safari seems to work a lot better, the only disadvantage obviously is not getting notifications. I'm getting to a point where I'm wondering if it would be easier just using Safari + Boxcar for notifications.

I know it's only Facebook so its not the end of the world, it would just be nice to have an app that works properly.

Edit: Having said that.. one thing I just noticed is that if I'm in the Facebook app, and actually leave an unread notification sitting there (one that comes in whilst I'm actually in the app), when I return to the iOS home screen the red icon badge is there.. however not for new/push notifications coming in without the app running (yes I leave it running in the background/multi-task bar).

luchosoto

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
Edit: Having said that.. one thing I just noticed is that if I'm in the Facebook app, and actually leave an unread notification sitting there (one that comes in whilst I'm actually in the app), when I return to the iOS home screen the red icon badge is there.. however not for new/push notifications coming in without the app running (yes I leave it running in the background/multi-task bar).

Same thing happens to me. Badges only appear when I get notifications while the facebookk app is open and then press the home button. But that is just useless. let's hope the facebook app team put their act together and fix this glitch.

Another thing I've noticed, and I don't know if it's just me or a general issue, but I never get notifications of any kind for likes, links posted on my timeline, or when someone tags me on a pic when using the app. Anyone has the same problem as me?

Audge723

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
Fb badge icon not working

I am having the same issue with my iPhone 4s 16 gb. It's thru Verizon. I have one friend with similar issue w badge not appearing but nobody else is complaining about it. I too have deleted many times and reinstalled fb app. I have checked settings and turned on and off. It does nothing. I wrote two emails to fb about the problem. I hope they are working on it. It's so annoying not seeing if someone has responded to my post or messages unless I manually go into fb.

LNYMRKO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
Looks like Facebook may have finally fixed this issue? Mine apparantly started working again today, as suspected possibly the code with their source rather than the app itself, as I havn't had any app updates..

luchosoto

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
Looks like Facebook may have finally fixed this issue? Mine apparantly started working again today, as suspected possibly the code with their source rather than the app itself, as I havn't had any app updates..

Well my friend, same thing happened to me today when I woke up... Got badges working again, for both apps. I didn't change a single setting in my iphone. It's surely a problem on their end. Here's a screenshot of my phone.

Don't know how long it's gonna last, let's hope it's for good.

Attachments

• IMG_0035[1].PNG
    IMG_0035[1].PNG
    828.3 KB · Views: 501
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.