Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pierreg82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Hey Dudes,

a few days ago, suddenly my batter on my older (white) macbook stopped charging. I also recognized, that there is no more green light or orange light on the magsafe adapter itself.

Even when i take out the battery, the green light on the magsafe is not showing.

The computer is working well with the charger plugged in, but again there is no green or orange light.

If searched all kinds of forums about this issue, some suggest SMC or PRAM reset, but that doesn't do it for me.

Now i nailed the problem down to 3 probable causes:

1. DC Connector failed
2. Logic Board failed
3. Charger / MagSafe Adapter failed
4. Battery failed

From the mentioned notices i made about the magsafe adapter not having any light, what would be perhaps the most likely cause.

thanks for any advise,
pierre

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If searched all kinds of forums about this issue, some suggest SMC or PRAM reset, but that doesn't do it for me.
PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues.

Check out the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link.

If the problem doesn't lie with your battery or MagSafe adapter, the other primary culprit is your logic board. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

pierreg82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
thanks for the reply, surely i already followed those troubleshooting guides.

However i still am not able to nail down the problem to either the Logic Board, Adapter or the Battery itself.

What worries me is that the charger still has a "dim" green light, but is not charging.

Any other ideas how to nail down the issue or fix it?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
thanks for the reply, surely i already followed those troubleshooting guides.

However i still am not able to nail down the problem to either the Logic Board, Adapter or the Battery itself.

What worries me is that the charger still has a "dim" green light, but is not charging.

Any other ideas how to nail down the issue or fix it?
If you reset the SMC and followed all the suggestions in the MagSafe troubleshooting guide, take it to Apple and have them check the battery and logic board.

pierreg82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
isn't it more likely the charger? If the light doesn't turn on correctly and the battery health also shows "normal" ?

Just wondering, as i dont have warranty anymore, i want to fix the issue myself with just buying the spare parts and hoped its the charger most likely

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
isn't it more likely the charger? If the light doesn't turn on correctly and the battery health also shows "normal" ?

Just wondering, as i dont have warranty anymore, i want to fix the issue myself with just buying the spare parts and hoped its the charger most likely
If you followed the troubleshooting guide and didn't find anything wrong with the MagSafe, why would you still suspect it? You can always try another charger, to be sure.

pierreg82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
I just took a look to istats, can somebody comment on the infos on the Watt outlet from the charger?

Perhaps you can see more issues there?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-05 at 11.28.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-05 at 11.28.54 AM.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 4,347

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just took a look to istats, can somebody comment on the infos on the Watt outlet from the charger?

Perhaps you can see more issues there?
It doesn't show the number of cycles or the battery health, but what are you running that's burning up your CPU and running your fan so high?

pierreg82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
I am running a Skype video call at the moment, thats why its to "hot" and "fan is on" .. not the newest macbook i got here ;-)

But the charger power voltage, doesn't tell anything about my issue? Isn't it too low?

pierreg82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
i just noticed, a very dim light on the magsafe charger, its just green and very dim, can hardly see it in the daylight...

does that mean anything?

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
i just noticed, a very dim light on the magsafe charger, its just green and very dim, can hardly see it in the daylight...

does that mean anything?

yup,

if you have tested the adapter and battery,

your dc magsafe connector needs to be replaced , dim light is a short on the primary on the magsafe connector board itself, this happens to prevent damage from dirty power into the logic board.

its around 25$ on ebay.

don't try to ignore it and try to fix it somehow else, replace it or you could face a logic board replacement,

i have ran into this 20+ times, mostly liquid spills.

ill upload a picture in a few and show you what and why this happens.

If you look at the picture, you can see this board is bad by the burn streaks in it and the input coil is burned up.

you can visually inspect it, it may look fine but you can test the grey and black lines coming off this board with a multimeter to see if its bad.

the board can be damaged by liquid , dirt(metal) conduction on the magsafe dimples on the connector, short in laptop or just static (unlikely)

the board can be replaced in 15 minutes by anyone who knows how a screwdriver works.

Attachments

• IMG_0090666.jpg
    IMG_0090666.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 9,825
Last edited:

pierreg82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
@MacModMachine, thanks for the detailed info, i think i will just get that New DC Board and will put it in myself.

Do you have by any chance a vendor who would probably deliver to "China" as i am in China at the moment its kinda hard sometimes to get stuff from ebay.

Any advise?

thanks a lot

pierreg82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
To give an update...

I did now replace in the first step (battery and charger) still same issue, very dim light on the magsafe adapter and battery not charging.

I am wondering if there is any way i can determine if i need to replace the complete logic board or just the DC board...

Any advise or hints how i can check this?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
To give an update...

I did now replace in the first step (battery and charger) still same issue, very dim light on the magsafe adapter and battery not charging.

I am wondering if there is any way i can determine if i need to replace the complete logic board or just the DC board...

Any advise or hints how i can check this?
Did you take it to Apple to have it tested, as recommended earlier?

pierreg82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
no i didn't have the chance yet, i am in the country side of southern china at the moment for work, there are no official retailers around,where i could have it checked.

so i am looking for a quick solution i could do myself

Attached a screenshot of my istat's, if it helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-27 at 8.06.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-27 at 8.06.21 AM.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,326

jas7865

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
Reading your last reply, and you said you replaced the battery and charger b ut you still have yet to replace the magsafe d/c board as suggested above, that would have been the first thing that I would have replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.