Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
what is this msg all about? on the home network there is one more computer.
(the ip shown on the attached pic is photoshoped for obvious reasons)

Attachments

• another-device.jpg
    another-device.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 232
Nov 28, 2010
located
No other devices are on your home network, like smart phones and such?
What if you change your IP address, if it is 192.168.0.2 or so (which does't need to be photoshopped, due to that number being universal in a lot of home or internal networks), to a static one?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
You should consider using DHCP functionality of your Internet router; e.g. Airport Extreme or whatever you use.

The client configuration changed on all devices to dynamic IP assignment will avoid such trouble.

Or if its really just one more device and you want fixed IP addresses just make sure to not overlap manually assigned IP adresses.

You might want to give us a bit more details about you network setup.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
i dunno much about network setup, nor did i make any settings my self, youll have to give me some guidance so i check everything back to you guys and hopefully sort this out

i dont have any other devices, just one laptop

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
i dunno much about network setup, nor did i make any settings my self

So, that makes me assume you just plugged in your router and used the default settings, which most likely means no security has been set up. This likely means that you are unknowingly sharing your network with your neighbors.

If I my presumptions are correct, I suggest you read the manual that came with your router and set up WPA security.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Neighbors? It doesn't have a wifi protocol, its an old Zyxel Prestige660H-61 router

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Well I doubt it is because someone else is connecting to the network. I suspect the problem comes from the fact that there are two computers in the house. one laptop and I guess a desktop as well. I am wondering if the Desktop is connected to a separate ADSL router/modem and the laptop is connected via WiFi by a separate wireless device (connected by Ethernet to the router). If that is the case he may be getting a conflict.

*Edit*
Ah I see between me posting this that he does not have WiFi. Are both computers connected to the Zyzel router ?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
like i said before there is no wifi protocol, nor is Airport open

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Oops, just assumed you used wireless.

Maybe just reboot your router and computers and the problem may just go away.

If the problem persists post some screen shots of your network settings and maybe we can help.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Oops, just assumed you used wireless.

Maybe just reboot your router and computers and the problem may just go away.

If the problem persists post some screen shots of your network settings and maybe we can help.
My network settings in both computers are set using DHCP, is this ok?

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
(the ip shown on the attached pic is photoshoped for obvious reasons)
LOL

And now being serious: it means your router hasn't let the previous reservation go and will keep assigning the aforementioned IP to other device. Solution: refresh your DHCP setting in Network prefpane. Yes, it's OK your computers both use DHCP (if you had 100s of them, you'd use it too), however the question is if your router has the DHCP server functionality turned on.
Make sure your computers are set up to DHCP only (not DHCP with manual address). Check for DHCP server settings in your Zyxel. I assume both computers are connected using separate cables?

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
System PReferences -> Network (make sure "Ethernet" on the left side of the pane is highlighted) -> Advanced -> TCP/IP -> Renew DHCP Lease".

Now as everybody knows the internal IP of your router is 192.168.1.1 (you don't need to worry - 99% of home networks in the world use the same IP range internally, the only IP you might be worried for, if overparanoid, would be the external IP), please do two screenshots: the one of the "LAN" section of your router setup, and the other of the DHCP table of your router (you will see them in the main menu after logging on to the router at http://192.168.1.1)

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
LOL

And now being serious: it means your router hasn't let the previous reservation go and will keep assigning the aforementioned IP to other device. Solution: refresh your DHCP setting in Network prefpane. Yes, it's OK your computers both use DHCP (if you had 100s of them, you'd use it too), however the question is if your router has the DHCP server functionality turned on.
Make sure your computers are set up to DHCP only (not DHCP with manual address). Check for DHCP server settings in your Zyxel. I assume both computers are connected using separate cables?
Yes they are with separate cables but i have no clue whats setup in the routers settings nor do i know how to check!

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
ok i think i got it, in the DHCP table the ips of each computers are different if this is what im looking for, the LAN section i cant find

----------

What kind of router do you have?
its a Zyxel prestige 660H-61

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Download ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/P-660H-67/quick_start_guide/P-660H-67_3.pdf the user manual.
Enter the configuration of the router at the http://192.168.1.1 (you can actually click this very link)
Make sure the LAN settings are as on the left picture on page 7 of the manual (bottom part of the picture, right below the LAN Information).

zoran said:
the LAN section i cant find
Main screen, Advanced Setup, 2nd link from the top.

zoran said:
ok i think i got it, in the DHCP table the ips of each computers are different
It means the situation is OK by now. Just make sure you set your DHCP pool to, say, 16 addresses (as if you wanted to connect 16 computers), so you will circumvent any router hiccups with the DHCP assignment that may happen. You can do it in the LAN section of the Advanced Setup.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Just make sure you set your DHCP pool to, say, 16 addresses (as if you wanted to connect 16 computers), so you will circumvent any router hiccups with the DHCP assignment that may happen. You can do it in the LAN section of the Advanced Setup.
Its already set to 32

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
System PReferences -> Network (make sure "Ethernet" on the left side of the pane is highlighted) -> Advanced -> TCP/IP -> Renew DHCP Lease".

Now as everybody knows the internal IP of your router is 192.168.1.1 (you don't need to worry - 99% of home networks in the world use the same IP range internally, the only IP you might be worried for, if overparanoid, would be the external IP), please do two screenshots: the one of the "LAN" section of your router setup, and the other of the DHCP table of your router (you will see them in the main menu after logging on to the router at http://192.168.1.1)

One other thing, the 192.x.x.x addresses are popular for home routers as they are defined as non-routable addresses. So are 10.x.x.x addresses.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
so what was the problem? the refreshing of the DCHP?
Apparently. It seems the computer #1 had been given the IP "X" and then was shut down, the computer #2 connected and acquired the same IP "X". Then, the computer #1 was turned on again and somehow first tried to connect with the same IP "X" it has been given previously instead of asking the router to get the IP "Y". It happens often enough for the operating systems to have an alert for this very situation.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Apparently. It seems the computer #1 had been given the IP "X" and then was shut down, the computer #2 connected and acquired the same IP "X". Then, the computer #1 was turned on again and somehow first tried to connect with the same IP "X" it has been given previously instead of asking the router to get the IP "Y". It happens often enough for the operating systems to have an alert for this very situation.
so all this wasn't anything strange but normal... right?

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
so all this wasn't anything strange but normal... right?
It happens. It happened to me a couple of times even though I use a genuine Airport Extreme base station, which - being an Apple product - should be better then non-Apple products, LOL. But stay cool, it can happen and there's nothing to worry about, especially since you have the most secure network of them all - a wired one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.