Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Hi my dad uses his iPad for a lot of business trips and I was wondering if there are external hard drives that are either bluetooth or ones that connect via the 30 pin connecter.he needs to be able to move documents to and from his iPad,are there any that does that?:confused:
Edit I may have forgot to mention it is in iPad 2.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Yea, go with Seagate GoFlex Satellite. That's probably the most affordable options avaialbe at the moment.
Or, you could jailbreak the iPad, buy the Camera Connection Kit, put some movies in the USB/SD Card, and watch it using iFile. But it's not the most convinent way to watch, as you have a dongle sticking out from the 30-pin dock connector.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Yea, go with Seagate GoFlex Satellite. That's probably the most affordable options avaialbe at the moment.
Or, you could jailbreak the iPad, buy the Camera Connection Kit, put some movies in the USB/SD Card, and watch it using iFile. But it's not the most convinent way to watch, as you have a dongle sticking out from the 30-pin dock connector.

My dad has already jbken his iPad 2 but that method seems overly complicated. for him.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Unfortunately, that will not work with iOS 5. The best thing to do is just buy the legit Apple's CCK, as it will work 100%.

Ok I'll do that. Thanks for the info. BTW where in ifile are the contents of the sd card stored?

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
My dad has already jbken his iPad 2 but that method seems overly complicated. for him.

Well, it's NOT THAT complicated if you think about it.
If all the movies are converted to .m4v format, using Handbrake, then it's just like accessing an external storage device on Mac or Windows.

I found this on Youtube. Go to 0:40 to see the SD Card in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kizsvvyEClw

----------

Ok I'll do that. Thanks for the info. BTW where in ifile are the contents of the sd card stored?

Go to 0:40 of the video. That's when this person inserts his/her SD Card.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Well, it's NOT THAT complicated if you think about it.
If all the movies are converted to .m4v format, using Handbrake, then it's just like accessing an external storage device on Mac or Windows.

I found this on Youtube. Go to 0:40 to see the SD Card in action:

----------

Go to 0:40 of the video. That's when this person inserts his/her SD Card.
Oh it's not movies we are talkin bout it's actual documents and the like.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Oh it's not movies we are talkin bout it's actual documents and the like.

Well, if it's like documents (assuming that we are talking about word doc or txt files) then it should take up much space on your iPad. Download something like Office Viewer, Pages, or Adobe PDF Viewer apps on your iPad to view them on the go. No need for external storage, unless each files are like 100MB each.

-EDIT-
I read it again, and he needs to move documents between the two?
Well, the method that I mentioned (Apple's Camera Connection Kit methoed) should work just fine. Or, if it's 3G, he could use Dropbox.
But, Seagate's GoFlex Satellite should be able to allow the user to view the documents. IDK about being able to copy the document from iPad to the Satellite.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Well, if it's like documents (assuming that we are talking about word doc or txt files) then it should take up much space on your iPad. Download something like Office Viewer, Pages, or Adobe PDF Viewer apps on your iPad to view them on the go. No need for external storage, unless each files are like 100MB each.

-EDIT-
I read it again, and he needs to move documents between the two?
Well, the method that I mentioned (Apple's Camera Connection Kit methoed) should work just fine. Or, if it's 3G, he could use Dropbox.
But, Seagate's GoFlex Satellite should be able to allow the user to view the documents. IDK about being able to copy the document from iPad to the Satellite.
I see a problem he needs to copy to iPad edit in iPad move to external again he has a 3G iPad though which is a 64 GB and he has only 30GB left and has only had it for half a month,so yea he needs all possible storage for moving reading and editing files then movin them back.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
dad uses his iPad for a lot of business trips and I was wondering if there are external hard drives that are either bluetooth or ones that connect via the 30 pin connecter.he needs to be able to move documents to and from his iPad,ar

?????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.