Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildwily

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2011
I have a few PDF files I had put in itunes (for my iPhone iBooks) that I no longer need. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to delete those from my imac so that they do not sync with my iphone. I have unchecked them, but I cannot permanently delete them. Is there an easy way to get rid of these?

Thanks for any suggestions.

WW

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
On your Mac, open iTunes Preferences, the 'General' Tab.
Make sure the 'Books' checkbox is checked.
Close the Preferences window, and click on 'Books' subsection of the 'Library' in your main iTunes window.
Find and select the title of the book you want to delete.
Hit your keyboard's delete key, or right-click your mouse and choose delete from the popup menu.
You should then see a Dialog:"Are you sure you want to delete the selected item from your iTunes library?"
Click the "Delete Item" button.

MacJeffRson

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
well.. i do exactly this. but whenever i sync either the iphone or the ipod.. the stupid books (just pdf files i needed while traveling - and not any longer) keep re-appearing!!! i already deleted them three times or more often, and they always come back to iTunes. this is SUPER annoying.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
You may also have to delete them from your iWhatever, before resynching. Bring up iBooks, go to pdf Library, touch the "edit" button and delete the offending books there too.
The mobile devices are likely set up so that if it finds a copy of a PDF in the software of any device it copies it to the other. That makes it hard to accidentally lose things, but also hard to get rid of things.
If the PDF's are gone from both iTunes on Mac, and allof your mobile devices, they shouldn't come back.

MacJeffRson

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
thanks a lot, patron22.

This is exactly what I feared. having to delete a pdf on *ALL* devices.. what a pain.. i use three iPhone/iPad/iPod/iXX devices.

Apple: please find an easier way to delete pdfs/books.

Cheers!

rickdude40

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
I am having this same problem, I have several PDF files in the ibooks app within my itunes library on my mac, I want to delete them from my itunes library but I am unable to. When I right click on them or click the delete key nothing happens, the selections remain in my library. I have deleted them on my Ipad, and they are unchecked so they do not reappear on the ipad when I sync but I would like to remove them from my library.

fleabite

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
How is this done in iTunes 11?

Figured it out

Please, enlighten me! I can't figure this out.

EDIT: Nevermind. I got it. In the main window, change the drop down menu near the top left from Music to Books. Right-click the item to delete and select Delete. I was trying to do this in the Books window in the Devices section of iTunes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.