Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Originally posted in the iPhone 4 forum but I believe it fits better here.

Has anyone been able to send images taken with the iPhone 4S via MMS? I have been unable to and am wondering if it could be the file size, 3G signal, or AT&T.

Mark07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I actually figured out the issue for anyone else experiencing the same problem. All you have to do is reset your network settings on the iPhone. I was receiving the "could not activate cellular data network" error when I opened up the the maps application.

GanjahGoddess

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011
Hi there! Never done this before, but the issue is driving me nuts....
First off, turning the cellular data on does NOT eliminate the problem. This is my 2nd day with the phone and issues started the night it was activated (last).

I made sure ALL the settings were correct (cellular data,mms settings, etc) and finally had to call Tech Support. They were useless. The first rep reset stuff and had me send a pic to myself- it went through so she said everything was resolved. It wasn't. After we hung up I tried to send the mms to the original recipient but it didn't go through so I tried resending AND sending to other people, in case it was an issue with the other persons phone. Still didn't work.

Called again and this lady was a COMPLETE moron...... She says "oh we'll it's not the phone, it's not the network-it's EVERYONE else's phone. (All six of them). She says that there is nothing that can be done. That's it.

Sooooooo......... I'm just supposed to have a phone that doesn't send MMS to people? A $400 phone, at that?????

There HAS to be a resolution. Side note: I AM able to send mms to other IPHONE users, NOT other AT&T users and NOT to any other carrier

Beezybound

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2012
I also am having the same issue. PLEASE HELP???!!*
I recently switched from a Iphone 3g to a IPhone 4s and everything seemed to be working great, but when I tried to send mms messages thru the message app and email app I was unable to send any pictures. However i am able to upload pictures to facebook and all other apps. For some reason after uploading a few pictures to facebook, i can send one picture thru mms but after sending one Im unable to send another. I was curious to see if you have seen anyone else with similar issues, and if so maybe you could reffer me to a link or something that could assist me. I'm *quite experienced with IPhones and just can't seem to solve this issue.(IOS 5.0.1with AT&T) Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

the1copperhead

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
iphone 4s MMS

The only way to send pictures via messaging is this (at least this is what I've found):

Go into Settings>Messages then slide the MMS Messaging to "ON". Then you can send and receive pictures via messaging. This is especially true if you are sending a picture to someone that doesn't have an iPhone. Also, if this is turned off and someone tries to send you a picture you won't receive it.

Downside: if you leave this "on" then your regular text messages look like a MMS to everyone else. Stupid? yes... Why is it set up this way? Have no clue, but seems like a failure in the iOS from my perspective.

PhazeII

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Southern California
Ok so I'm also trying to track down the issues that the mms app is having. I been successful sending only some pictures but not others.

try this...

Take a screen shot of your phone (sleep button + home) then try to send it via SMS.

Try taking a pic with HDR on and another with it off. When you have HDR on it will save two pics. Try sending both.

Any luck sending the screenshot or the pic taken with HDR on and off?

I would greatly appreciate it if any body out there could try this.

Thank you

babysarah

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
Orlando, FL
Well, after countless searches, I have landed here. I currently have a Verizon iPhone 4S that was purchased the day they were released. My iPhone is currently up to date on software and is not jailbroken. Like everyone else here, I am unable to send/receive pictures to/from anyone EXCEPT for other iPhone users who also have iMessage.

I have tried switching MMS off then back on again; I did a soft reboot; I reset my network settings; finally, I did a full-blown restore and erased all content. Still no pictures.

It appears that there is still no fix for this. Apple Tech can't do much for me over the phone. I suppose at this point I need to just visit the Apple Store and see what they have to say. I will let everything know what happens.

babysarah

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
Orlando, FL
I found the solution to my issue. I currently have Verizon and somehow via my Verizon online account, my picture and video messaging had been blocked. I found this odd, as I also spent 30 minutes on the phone with Verizon a few weeks ago to see if there was anything they could do, and they never picked up on this. I highly recommend everyone check their actual carrier settings as well, preferably online if you have access (since Verizon did so well catching this when I called). I am the only one who has access to my online account, so how they got blocked is beyond me. Either way, my issue has been solved.

jokeester

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
MMS for iphone 4s

My MMS/imessage was working fine then for whatever reason stopped working. I am able to send picture messages by turning off the imessage and having the MMS turned on. When I turn the imessage back on - picture messaging stops working. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix the problem but I decided to post this as a temporary workaround for people having the same problem (hopefully it'll work for others)

traceyholliday

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
Jailbroken Iphone 4 MMS issues

Hi!
My phone was sending and receiving just fine until a couple of weeks ago. Now there are certain people that won't receive my MMS messages or will I receive theirs. I love my jailbreak. So, do I need to unjailbreak my phone in order to be able to get this feature back. I'm still running on 5.0.1 because if I upgraded I would have lost my jailbreak. I have AT&T and it seems to be an issue with sending to other jailbroken iphone with verizon. I've gone into iFile and under the carrier.plist but I'm scared to change anything for fear that I will make it worse. Any suggestions? Pleeeeeese help me! :(
Tracey

almac04

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
Raleigh, NC
unable to send MMS while on the phone

more recently, I have not been able to send MMS while on the phone. I have done so in the past but within the last month or so I have not been able to. I have a Verizon iP4, 5.0.1 and I am currently Jailbroken. The phone has sent pics fine while on the phone after JB. No new apps installed, nor any new cydia tweaks that may have caused. It does not matter if I am on Wifi or not, I still get the "message send failure" notifier...:confused::confused:

rockon55555

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
Simple Fix

I was having the same issue, one day I could send picture messages, then the next i could not send a picture to anyone on any carrier.

In the settings go to

Messages > Turn iMessage Off

ALSO

Turn MMS Messaging off.

If you wait a minute, then turn both iMessage AND MMS messaging on - it should work.

I have no idea why this works, or if you need to do both, but it worked for me and it is a very SIMPLE thing you can try.

Before I tried this I could not send picture messages for days, but I could recieve them just fine. Now I am able to send and receive picture messages.

Hope this helped someone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.