Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Hello, I'm trying to decide what type of protection is to use with my iPhone 4S. Case is out of the question, I'll never put a hard case around it.

I was planning on going naked but my friends insisted I should put at least a front and back invisible shield. Does the back plate scratch easily when used without a protector?

If yes, what is the best protective film? Thanks for any advice.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Hello, I'm trying to decide what type of protection is to use with my iPhone 4S. Case is out of the question, I'll never put a hard case around it.

I was planning on going naked but my friends insisted I should put at least a front and back invisible shield. Does the back plate scratch easily when used without a protector?

If yes, what is the best protective film? Thanks for any advice.

I would at least try to use front/back screen protectors. I am using Power Support Crystal protectors and they work great.

zoundblaster

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
Before you buy the case, you better check out is it the case are for iPhone 4 only or the iphone 4s. Based on the appearance even they look similar but its completely two different phone as well.

Buying_Guide.jpg

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Before you buy the case, you better check out is it the case are for iPhone 4 only or the iphone 4s. Based on the appearance even they look similar but its completely two different phone as well.

Read the op , he said a case is out of the question :confused:

Boston Rhett

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2012
DC
The glass is pretty scratch resistant, but I'm a very "just in case" person and started looking into cases and screen protectors before I even had a phone. (And now I can't stop - bona fide case-a-holic haha :rolleyes:)

For screen protectors, Power Support and SGP are my favorite. A little on the pricier side, but they're quality. Their crystal versions are perfect with the retina display. Right now I have the PS anti-glare on my phone, which degrades clarity ~5%, but I prefer that to fingerprints.

You might also want to look into protection for the antenna band, as I've found it's pretty prone to scuff marks. The Lucky Labs sells vinyl strips designed to lay over the band, which protects from scratches and also helps with the "death grip" issue. They come in a ton of different colors as well. They also have back skins that you can use instead of a back screen protector.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Seriously do you not have anything better to do? I say go for the SGP Ultra Crystal EX. It comes with two sets of front and back protection and it has guards for the metal band. All that for 24 bucks on Amazon.

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
I got IS on the front and back. It's ok, I'm not really a fan of it. Since it's usually in my pocket along with my keys and changes, I need good protection.

I also have the Apple bumper, it still feels nake even with the bumper on. It's only on until my Electron bumper gets here. It'll be my backup once the Electron gets here. I rather be safe the sorry, you can drop your phone at any time.

Last edited:

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
I really wanted to go caseless too, but the glass seems just too fragile to me. It seems like even the slightest bump might break it :( But the best way would be a Glas.t screen protector, Lucky Labs Wrap and maybe a titanium or metal back plate IMO.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I think I'll go completely naked guys. Thanks for input. As far as I'm concerned, all front films distort the display. That's the last thing I want. And for the back plate, I know that the replacement is $29 at the Apple Store. Almost the same price with shields.

joshmacbosh

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
I've been thinking for ages about going completely naked but I'm too scared. I just hate scratches. I don't like the screen protectors cause they always look so messy and distort the display so I was thinking about just putting one on the back since that's all that could possibly get scratched in my day to day use of the phone. At least then it would look and "feel" naked without actually being naked! Who makes the best ones these days? I haven't used a screen protector since 2007/08!

TjeuV

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
Belgium
I've been thinking for ages about going completely naked but I'm too scared. I just hate scratches. I don't like the screen protectors cause they always look so messy and distort the display so I was thinking about just putting one on the back since that's all that could possibly get scratched in my day to day use of the phone. At least then it would look and "feel" naked without actually being naked! Who makes the best ones these days? I haven't used a screen protector since 2007/08!

I'm always going with the zagg invisible shield. Offers great protection and gives the best experience using your phone.

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
I think I'll go completely naked guys. Thanks for input. As far as I'm concerned, all front films distort the display. That's the last thing I want. And for the back plate, I know that the replacement is $29 at the Apple Store. Almost the same price with shields.

Agree with you on the back plate, but check out the Glas.t for the screen. Its a screen protector made of glass, so no distortion or degradation of display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.