Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tobbeehh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Hello!

I dropped my iphone 4 and I was pretty drunk so I dont remember where I dropped it, if it got into any water or just on the ground. Anyway, the glass got broken and the backlight is very weak, it lights correctly at some "pixels" of the screen, but stays pretty dark on others. It's enough so I can see the screen if I have sunlight avaible. I wonder if it would help just to replace the lcd? Or what could be wrong?

I have replaced the screen before because of broken screen, so wont be a problem to do it again, but just dont want to buy a screen if that aint the problem.

Thanks for help! :)

MrRon

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Miami, FL
Hello!

I dropped my iphone 4 and I was pretty drunk so I dont remember where I dropped it, if it got into any water or just on the ground. Anyway, the glass got broken and the backlight is very weak, it lights correctly at some "pixels" of the screen, but stays pretty dark on others. It's enough so I can see the screen if I have sunlight avaible. I wonder if it would help just to replace the lcd? Or what could be wrong?

I have replaced the screen before because of broken screen, so wont be a problem to do it again, but just dont want to buy a screen if that aint the problem.

Thanks for help! :)

It is difficult to just replace the glass without replacing the LCD. In your situation, there is NO OPTION. It costs about $70-90 to replace both the glass and LCD in local repair shops.

Tobbeehh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
well, if the glass is broken, replacing it would not be for nothing?

Well, the alternative is to get another phone instead to repair the glass as the backlight still is faulty.

----------

It is difficult to just replace the glass without replacing the LCD. In your situation, there is NO OPTION. It costs about $70-90 to replace both the glass and LCD in local repair shops.

Yes I know, but what I asked is that if I buy a kit (LCD + glass, as it's built together) and replace it myself. Would that fix the problem with the backlight?

Or what could the backlight been coming from? Maybe the motherboard?

MrRon

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Miami, FL
Well, the alternative is to get another phone instead to repair the glass as the backlight still is faulty.

----------

Yes I know, but what I asked is that if I buy a kit (LCD + glass, as it's built together) and replace it myself. Would that fix the problem with the backlight?

Or what could the backlight been coming from? Maybe the motherboard?

The backlight is right behind the LCD..

Its not easy to replace the LCD and Glass even though it is one piece. Its is very difficult to install the flex cable back to the mother board. You better to have some experienced technician to help you on this.

Tobbeehh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
The backlight is right behind the LCD..

Its not easy to replace the LCD and Glass even though it is one piece. Its is very difficult to install the flex cable back to the mother board. You better to have some experienced technician to help you on this.

Oh okay. Well, I have already replaced it once on the same phone, because of breaking the glass, so it wont be a problem. Just wondering if it will help against the backlight issue?

MrRon

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Miami, FL
Oh okay. Well, I have already replaced it once on the same phone, because of breaking the glass, so it wont be a problem. Just wondering if it will help against the backlight issue?

Maybe I confuse you, the backlight is part of the LCD. When you get a good quality LCD / digitizer combo to replace the existing one, the problem will be fixed after proper installation!

Tobbeehh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Maybe I confuse you, the backlight is part of the LCD. When you get a good quality LCD / digitizer combo to replace the existing one, the problem will be fixed after proper installation!

Yeah, I hope so. But then I read this: http://fonefixer.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2299172

Seems like the problem could also be that little component on the motherboard? Have also seen ppl replacing this one on youtube. So dont know what to do, the component is cheapier, but not so funny to replace as you have to solder the component. And dont want to buy the LCD if it wont fix the problem...

MrRon

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Miami, FL
Yeah, I hope so. But then I read this: http://fonefixer.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2299172

Seems like the problem could also be that little component on the motherboard? Have also seen ppl replacing this one on youtube. So dont know what to do, the component is cheapier, but not so funny to replace as you have to solder the component. And dont want to buy the LCD if it wont fix the problem...

If it's the main board problem, the only option is sending back to Apple. I have few repair shops and we won't repair main boards.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.