Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I don't personally see "the only App's are AppStore apps" future you are hinting at. Sure I can see the OS giving warnings when you run a none App Store app but I cannot see them being banned in any way to many open source apps like Firefox etc for that to happen.

The App Store isn't a bad option... my main problems isn't about what it is currently, just what it hints at. They will most likely not ban non-AppStore apps, but if they can make it so 90%+ of Mac users will never look for or try anything that isn't in the AppStore, it will start forcing people to use the AppStore... games or otherwise.

For the Firefox example... it might be big enough for a while to not be affected, but what if it stays out of the AppStore... 90%+ of Mac users stick to AppStore only, and Firefox usage on the Mac gets so low that Mozilla no longer cares about updating it and lets it go. I can see how many projects might just die off with Mac support.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
As I stated on a previous post, that's exactly what happens to other OSes as well. How many Ubuntu users would you think they actually look at products outside Ubuntu's Launchpad repository ? How many would you think they have the time and are willing to struggle with "outside s/w" dependencies, update headaches, etc etc.

Again, it's not just Apple's choice.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
The App Store isn't a bad option... my main problems isn't about what it is currently, just what it hints at. They will most likely not ban non-AppStore apps, but if they can make it so 90%+ of Mac users will never look for or try anything that isn't in the AppStore, it will start forcing people to use the AppStore... games or otherwise.

Hate to say it but that was always going to happen (has already happened) saw the same thing happen with Apple Stores. If your software was not in the Apple Stores a lot of people did not know if it existed. Before that it was the Apple software page.

With google all applications will always have homes outside of the App Store but for convenience many people like the App Store.

For the Firefox example... it might be big enough for a while to not be affected, but what if it stays out of the AppStore... 90%+ of Mac users stick to AppStore only, and Firefox usage on the Mac gets so low that Mozilla no longer cares about updating it and lets it go. I can see how many projects might just die off with Mac support.

That is a fairly negative way of looking at things :( Glass half empty and all that. So far I have seen no sign of that happening (and I have been keeping an eye out) in fact it can play both ways the App Store often increases the exposure of other software stores and companies own web stores.

You get a halo effect, for example people buy your application in the App Store they then tweet about how awesome it is (hopefully) so the next person reading the tweet googles the app. They find your website and buy a copy...

I have seen this in action both through being a customer (I bought iFlicks on the iFlicks site after reading a tweet from someone who bought it in the App Store) and as a publisher as I work for a games company with games in the App Store. I am not saying that your surmise is impossible I am just saying it is highly unlikely to get that far or bad. I find it comforting it has already been a year and I have seen no evidence of this drop off happening which I would expect to have seen in limited cases by now.

Edwin

Icaras

macrumors 603
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
iD has traditionally been good with releasing Mac ports... I can't name any of their games that never made it to Mac, and fairly quick at that.

They've been great on iOS support too so far. Loved Rage on iOS, even though it was on rails. Still need to check out the new update. I've also got Doom and Doom II RPG on iOS.

Yea, I'm hoping ID/Aspyr can start bringing these classics over to the MAS eventually. More Doom and Quake please :D

I have a feeling you have no idea what goes on to run a computer or in software development. By your logic it doesn't make since that 100% of games aren't already made for the Mac as it is.. why do so many software developers not make Mac versions? Forcing them to make their software in certain non-cross-platform ways and a forced 30% cut helps that?

Nope, I have no idea at all. But I'm not talking about development. I'm talking strictly economics. iOS has a substantial market share in it's specific market, while the Mac, though absolutely successful, still only represents a tiny sliver of the entire desktop/laptop market. What is it? Like 1/10th of the world? Of course the world won't prioritize game development on 10%.

On the flipside, Apple's iOS app market is still the richest, most abundant app market today, that currently reaps about 90% of the lion's share of developer profits, between it and Android. iOS is a ridiculously profitable environment, but I believe the MAS's intentions are identical and will have more impact as the Mac user base grows and PC continues to shrink. But that's obvious.

I get your point and it has some merits don't get me wrong but their are flip sides and I don't think the AppStore is any different to the other stores in having certain rules, compare to a console store you might say they are relaxed even. ;)

Steam: Certain other rules also need to be followed as well with the submission process. You have to use the Steam DRM.

Boxed Copies: Traditional stores take about 70% of the RPP throughout the supply chain leaving the publisher with about 30% of the RRP. That is just figures you can get from a quick google search.

Yea, everyone takes cuts, as I tried mentioning earlier. It's not just Apple. Everyone has rules. Steam included.

And before you know it, Microsoft will start taking cuts and imposing rules too with their Windows App Store on Windows 8.

I don't personally see "the only App's are AppStore apps" future you are hinting at. Sure I can see the OS giving warnings when you run a none App Store app but I cannot see them being banned in any way to many open source apps like Firefox etc for that to happen.

Me neither, I just don't. I think there will always be options. The mobile industry was different because there never was an app market to consider before the iPhone came, and content on your phone was always controlled by the carrier.

I'm not saying don't buy it, but from a historical perspective don't hold your breath. ;)

Yea, I know what you mean, but the MAS does try to make it easier for developers to update their apps and have it pushed to the user, with no fuss at all, so perhaps it will be different this time around....

Last edited:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Got it from the Mac App Store!

Haven't played it yet, but I assume gr8 things... will do my Radeon 5870 some justice, eh? :)

BTW, I love the Mac App Store. I love not having to use a serial number which I could lose, no need for a *real* DVD in the Mac.

Just like the iTunes Music Store, it's gr8 to be able to browse around the Mac App Store and get the software you want just by clicking on it. It helps me actually buy the software instead of 'torrenting it, just like the ol' MP3's (remember those things?)

denisvj

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
Got it from the Mac App Store!

Haven't played it yet, but I assume gr8 things... will do my Radeon 5870 some justice, eh? :)

BTW, I love the Mac App Store. I love not having to use a serial number which I could lose, no need for a *real* DVD in the Mac.

Just like the iTunes Music Store, it's gr8 to be able to browse around the Mac App Store and get the software you want just by clicking on it. It helps me actually buy the software instead of 'torrenting it, just like the ol' MP3's (remember those things?)

+1 about not having serial number and the plus is that if you have more than two computers you don´t need an extra license :) .

Samskeyti

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
Duke Nukem Forever and now Rage. :(

Rage was fun but it had its issues (at least not to the same extent as DNF). Here's to hoping the Mac App Store continues to generate new ports. Borderlands 2 and Grand Theft Auto 5 surely must come. Before you know it, we'll have a Game Center for Lion.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville

From a consumer point of view I absolutely LOVE the MAS! I buy everything through there, and spend a hell of a lot more money through it then going out and buying software here and there. Just this morning I went out looking for a PDF file editor; I didn't pick one but I was doing some research. If not on the MAS I don't bother looking anywhere else. Being installed with the OS and being super convenient is awesome. Sure I could go to the developers site and buy from them directly, but why should I have to when I can get it on the MAS and then have updates automatically pushed down?

Additionally I maintain my work MBP and my home MBP; but use the same iTunes accounts so when i buy it on one, I get it on the other automatically. I never have to worry about losing the disc or serial number; I can always re-download it whenever I want. This alone saves me a TON of energy. I hate dealing with discs (prediction, next gen Mac laptops won't have DVD drives).

90% of all my app purchases are now through the MAS. I do wish they had a way to install demos / trial versions and then upgrade it to the full version. I don't like the idea of "XYZ free" and then buying "XYZ" because they are two independent things; would be nice to be able to download "XYZ free" then click "Upgrade" to buy the whole thing; thus purging "XYZ free" from my system automatically. But that's something I can deal with. :D

(other purchases are through Steam, and an occasional boxed item when required).

BTW, I though originally MS was going to make Windows8 require the Windows App Store and everything had to be installed through it. I think that they've back peddled on this but it is obviously a goal that they are trying to set forth.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
From a consumer point of view I absolutely LOVE the MAS! I buy everything through there, and spend a hell of a lot more money through it then going out and buying software here and there. Just this morning I went out looking for a PDF file editor; I didn't pick one but I was doing some research. If not on the MAS I don't bother looking anywhere else. Being installed with the OS and being super convenient is awesome. Sure I could go to the developers site and buy from them directly, but why should I have to when I can get it on the MAS and then have updates automatically pushed down?
nice example of my point... eventually almost all Mac users will be like this, meaning any development that Apple doesn't like, or doesn't like how its done, will not be successful. The store rules already have such strict rules, its giving Apple too much control.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
nice example of my point... eventually almost all Mac users will be like this, meaning any development that Apple doesn't like, or doesn't like how its done, will not be successful. The store rules already have such strict rules, its giving Apple too much control.

In your opinion the rules are too strict. Too strict compared to what exactly? The Windows App Store--- oh wait, that's not out yet, so we don't know what rules that will have. The .... oh wait, there is no other app store. So basically you're saying that it should be a free-for-all anything goes and Apple should get nothing.

Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

Samskeyti

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
Android's store isn't strict. It also features apps with viruses.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
In your opinion the rules are too strict. Too strict compared to what exactly? The Windows App Store--- oh wait, that's not out yet, so we don't know what rules that will have. The .... oh wait, there is no other app store. So basically you're saying that it should be a free-for-all anything goes and Apple should get nothing.

Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

strict... as in requiring only certain API and frameworks usage. From their rules list, you try to do a cross platform C#/mono/gtk or C++/qt or fully Java... beeeep, not allowed in the store. You app doesn't do sandboxing? oh, we require that now, your app is kicked out until you update it. Who knows what rule changes in the future will kick out apps that don't update fast enough.

It even allows Apple to say.. put in a new API version in OSX 10.8, then require in use for software and eventually force everyone to OS upgrade... so say later when 10.9 comes out, people still on 10.7 might get forced to 10.8+ simply because of the new rules for software in the store.

I never said it should be free to use, it should be more relaxed in what is allowed to be in there.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
shows the future death of the Mac... Apple making completely strict and asinine control over developers, and hurting the business of anyone not in the App Store following their rules.

If your just a normal user and not a developer, you probably think its great... and thats another reason many developers hate it.

I don't get this at all. How is Apple forcing anyone to sell through the Mac App Store?? If a developer wants to distribute via their own website, or via Steam, or by traditional DVD store distribution, they can. If enough of them agreed with you that Apple's control was "strict and asinine", you'd hear crickets on the Mac App Store. I don't hear crickets. Do you?

What rules apply on the Mac App Store that you consider asinine?

Please be specific.

----------

Steam has the better infrastructure, that's undeniable (it actually has one). It's much better for me to integrate Steam into my game and get cross-OS compatibility than to just release a PC version on Steam and OSX version on MAS.

I imagine it'll be down to licensing issues. I thought that such things would have been planned out way in advance, but there you have it.

Hmmm, Steam's cross-platform infrastructure only matters if you run more than one desktop OS.

It makes sense to me that Apple wouldn't support Windows apps on the MAS. Why would they?

----------

Would buy if it were available on Steam. Without multiplayer I won't play a dime for it! Plus Mac app store sucks.

Why?

----------

Duke Nukem Forever and now Rage. :(

Rage was fun but it had its issues (at least not to the same extent as DNF). Here's to hoping the Mac App Store continues to generate new ports. Borderlands 2 and Grand Theft Auto 5 surely must come. Before you know it, we'll have a Game Center for Lion.

hopefully the Mac version of Rage won't have the texture problems other platforms have had.

Anyone comment yet having played some of it?

nilka

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
I bought it and have played it for 10+ hours now, and I haven't ruined into any problems whatsoever. Performance is superb and I can't find any texture bugs.
running on i5 iMac with 1GB 6970m.
I had heard a lot of criticism of the gameplay but so far I really do enjoy it more than I have enjoyed this kind of game in a long long time.

Yeah its to bad we don't have multiplayer but still I do enjoy this game a lot.

Cpt.Oliver

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2011
iMac early 2008 here ,

Dual core 3.06, 4gig ram, geforce 8800gs 512mb ;

Im getting textures issues; pop-in when loading a zone or when I turn my mouse quickly :( . Should I re-install ? or its because my system is on limit with RAGE ?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
iMac early 2008 here ,

Dual core 3.06, 4gig ram, geforce 8800gs 512mb ;

Im getting textures issues; pop-in when loading a zone or when I turn my mouse quickly :( . Should I re-install ? or its because my system is on limit with RAGE ?

I think the 8800GS in your iMac is the "limit" with Rage.
Even on my HD 5870 I, sometimes, occasionally, see the textures "sharpen" a bit when loading a huge outside scene.

Must admit, this game looks brilliant!

turbobass

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2010
Los Angeles
No, not 4GB. Your cards share (duplicate) memory in Xfire, so it's just 2GB. Still, with those cards you should be able to run them on the highest settings (minus AA and AF maxed maybe).

I understand what I "should" be able to do and was joking about 4GB.

I am not complaining that my rig is underpowered because, well, it's not.

What I am saying, quite simply, is that I don't think Megatextures really provide a "next generation" experience as contemporary games (BF3, Witcher 2, hell even Gears of War 3) manage to provide visuals that are both higher quality at all perspectives and better performance. I have modified my .ini files to load the textures at close to their largest size and it still doesn't look that great IMHO. Quite disappointing actually. Maybe they've fixed some weird bug with my Crossfire and I should play it again and see if they've fixed it.

trsnrtr

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2009
Central Illinois, USA
I own 40 games or so in Steam, but booting to Windows to use most of them sucks. Even if the Mac store is some big evil Apple thing, I'd rather buy there so I can play without rebooting and also know that many of my 'F' keys will work properly.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
and since no one believed me... another jewel from Apple.

Today announced as part of upcoming Mac OS X 10.8.. is Gatekeeper! which will let you lock down your Mac for "safety" to only run Apple approved/signed/trusted apps... which I'm sure will also be required to be in the MAS... making the first step "voluntary" to require the MAS.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Today announced as part of upcoming Mac OS X 10.8.. is Gatekeeper! which will let you lock down your Mac for "safety" to only run Apple approved/signed/trusted apps... which I'm sure will also be required to be in the MAS... making the first step "voluntary" to require the MAS.

To put your paranoia into perspective, here's an early article from cult of mac:

http://www.cultofmac.com/146783/gat...-only-software-on-the-mac-os-x-mountain-lion/

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

So it is just what most people predicted. You have a warning if you app is not signed by an Apple certificate. Microsoft have done this for years now so this is not a first step towards a locked down world.

You can still have unsigned apps (warning about them)

You can have apps signed but not in the App Store (No warning).

You can have App STore apps (No warning)

So overall nothing is really different just easier to protect against Mallware. Overall win for general customers and power users alike.

Edwin

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
The default setting lets MAS apps and Signed apps run.

There is an option to only let MAS apps run, or an option to let everything run.

I'm mostly annoyed by this because it plays havoc with how Wineskin works.

But overall, it shows Apple wants to require the MAS... but they want to convince users it was their idea in the first place to make them opt in for their own safety. MAS store apps always get a green light... signed apps lets Apple have the power to blacklist them and kill working apps on everyones computer. I just see it as another step in the lock down of the OS.

If it just did a pop up and said "This is not a signed app, are you sure you want to run it?" then that is fine... but it doesn't... it basically says "this app is from an untrusted source" and just does NOT run it and gives no option to run it... you have to turn off the option, or manually run it through right clicking and selecting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.