Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guccigucci88

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
Thought I was the only one thinking that.

Nope you're not alone.

You wreak. Don't hate on someone for saying how much they enjoy a case. Regardless of self-promotion or not it is nice to hear about a case that isn't mainstream.

Notice the similarities in the two names jrWILL and royWILL. I have no problem with a company promoting a product. But I really can't stand when people are PRETENDING to be customers boosting a product regardless how nice it is. Yes that is being dishonest. I don't know about you but I'm not down for products from dishonest companies. I was intrested in this product but now completely turned off it for this very reason.

Definitely better looking than those stupid metal bumpers/cases that make the iPhone look like a Transformer-reject. This is definitely the case to have IMO.

I'd say my "stupid metal bumper" is pretty nice and looks far from anything like a transformer-reject. Prolly gets more compliments than your average dollar rubber case made in china.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1316824/

Last edited:

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
These look like nice cases! For those of you that have this case the consensus is that the buttons have good tactile feel? My big issue with TPU cases is how stiff the buttons are.

Same here. I have both a Gelee-like knockoff and an iSkin Claro. Its extremely difficult to press the power/standby switch on either of them. I have to use a sharp object or grow out a fingernail and use a lot of force to activate the switch. Does anyone know of TPU cases which have easily actuated buttons? The $1.99 Chivel clear bumper with metal buttons I picked up on Amazon has amazing button feel, but I want some rear protection.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
Notice the similarities in the two names jrWILL and royWILL. I have no problem with a company promoting a product. But I really can't stand when people are PRETENDING to be customers boosting a product regardless how nice it is. Yes that is being dishonest. I don't know about you but I'm not down for products from dishonest companies. I was intrested in this product but now completely turned off it for this very reason.

Yeah I'm with you on this point. I was extremely interested in this case but the ploys by "customers" and self promotion turns me off. If it is as great as they are claiming then real customers would go to bat for them. They don't even have pictures of the smoke case on their site(read: amazon). Maybe I'll look back into this when the reviews are less biased. I'm anxiously awaiting Djransom's review.

RoyWill

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Same here. I have both a Gelee-like knockoff and an iSkin Claro. Its extremely difficult to press the power/standby switch on either of them. I have to use a sharp object or grow out a fingernail and use a lot of force to activate the switch. Does anyone know of TPU cases which have easily actuated buttons? The $1.99 Chivel clear bumper with metal buttons I picked up on Amazon has amazing button feel, but I want some rear protection.

If you have never tried gelee case, how can you determine the case has the same problem? I have Belkin grip vue, griffin flex grib, speck candyshell... before.. The best thing I like gelee is the ultra thin construction.. Pressing the button is not a problem...

For those of you questioning about self promoting for the case.. its up to you.. you can say whatever you want to say...

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Well label me as an idiot who bought into the rave review. I went ahead and ordered it. As a whole the case feels exactly like the Belkin Vue. Since it was labeled as being a TPU case I figured it would feel something like the PixelSkin HD (I love that case). Well it doesn't. It has a very grippy dirty feel to it. Also I have a heck of a time keeping the flaps down. It got to the point where I just went ahead and cut them off. As a whole I would say this case gets a 2/10 because I had to alter it to make it comfortable and because it really doesn't feel like it's made of TPU.

RoyWill

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Well label me as an idiot who bought into the rave review. I went ahead and ordered it. As a whole the case feels exactly like the Belkin Vue. Since it was labeled as being a TPU case I figured it would feel something like the PixelSkin HD (I love that case). Well it doesn't. It has a very grippy dirty feel to it. Also I have a heck of a time keeping the flaps down. It got to the point where I just went ahead and cut them off. As a whole I would say this case gets a 2/10 because I had to alter it to make it comfortable and because it really doesn't feel like it's made of TPU.

The built-in flap is the main reason I am getting this.. if you dont want the built-in flaps .. you are getting the wrong item

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Yeah I'm with you on this point. I was extremely interested in this case but the ploys by "customers" and self promotion turns me off. If it is as great as they are claiming then real customers would go to bat for them. They don't even have pictures of the smoke case on their site(read: amazon). Maybe I'll look back into this when the reviews are less biased. I'm anxiously awaiting Djransom's review.

I did not purchase this product and have no plans on it at all.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
If you have never tried gelee case, how can you determine the case has the same problem? I have Belkin grip vue, griffin flex grib, speck candyshell... before.. The best thing I like gelee is the ultra thin construction.. Pressing the button is not a problem...

For those of you questioning about self promoting for the case.. its up to you.. you can say whatever you want to say...

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say the Gelee has the same problem. I was just soliciting feedback from folks who had used it. Its good to know that its easy to press the button. I might give it a try.

MrRon

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Miami, FL
Whats going on? something is getting interesting here.. looks like there are two groups of people here have totally opposite opinions...

Is there anything similar already in the market??

Last edited:

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
It seems like there is a group of people who know a lot about the product and are giving rave reviews because they have a stake in the company. Then there are people who ordered it and felt that they were mislead and it was not a quality product. This seems to be the case and if it is it's shameful. If its as great as you "satisfied customers" (the Wills) say it is then do something like Zoogue and send out a few for free and let the people who get them give honest reviews.

----------

The built-in flap is the main reason I am getting this.. if you dont want the built-in flaps .. you are getting the wrong item

"the main reason I am getting this"? Have you not stated several times that you already have this case?

RoyWill

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Boston, MA
It seems like there is a group of people who know a lot about the product and are giving rave reviews because they have a stake in the company. Then there are people who ordered it and felt that they were mislead and it was not a quality product. This seems to be the case and if it is it's shameful. If its as great as you "satisfied customers" (the Wills) say it is then do something like Zoogue and send out a few for free and let the people who get them give honest reviews.

----------

First I am not related to this company or whatsoever! I ordered the case from amazon... I am just saying my personal opinion about this case and it is strictly my personal opinion. If you said I am misleading.. where?

everyone has their own preference. If you are the fans of metallic cases, definitely this is not for you!! I want something that is practical and something that can be used everyday while provide good protection!!!

guccigucci88

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
First I am not related to this company or whatsoever! I ordered the case from amazon... I am just saying my personal opinion about this case and it is strictly my personal opinion. If you said I am misleading.. where?

everyone has their own preference. If you are the fans of metallic cases, definitely this is not for you!! I want something that is practical and something that can be used everyday while provide good protection!!!

I am a fan of metallic cases... also silicone... and tpu... all types actually. Just because someone likes one type of case doesn't mean they can't like another kind.

To those who of you who would like a similar look with a way better build and much higher quality I highly recommend the iskin claro. Shows off the beauty of the phone with a great feel in hand... A VERY solid case. Definitely one of my favourites.

Last edited:

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
To those who of you who would like a similar look with a way better build and much higher quality I highly recommend the iskin claro. Shows off the beauty of the phone with a great feel in hand... A VERY solid case. Definitely one of my favourites.

I bought an iSkin Claro just last week and while it has good build quality I would not recommend it. The button for sleep/wake is flush with the case and is extremely difficult to locate and depress. You sort of have to feel around and press several times with a long fingernail to get it to activate. The rear panel is also much thicker than other TPU cases (because they have inserted a polycarbonate shell in there). Yes it makes it more durable, but it is noticeably thicker and chunkier. I loved my iSkin Solo for the 3G but I regret getting the Claro.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I was planning on getting this case. But with this discussion, I better wait for some independent reviews.

guccigucci88

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I bought an iSkin Claro just last week and while it has good build quality I would not recommend it. The button for sleep/wake is flush with the case and is extremely difficult to locate and depress. You sort of have to feel around and press several times with a long fingernail to get it to activate. The rear panel is also much thicker than other TPU cases (because they have inserted a polycarbonate shell in there). Yes it makes it more durable, but it is noticeably thicker and chunkier. I loved my iSkin Solo for the 3G but I regret getting the Claro.

I agree that the lock button is a bit hard to press which is weird because the volume buttons are extremely easy to push. Don't know why it wasn't made the same. I don't have a problem finding it though with my finger. also the rear panel doesn't bother me at all I really like the feel of it. Personal preference is all.

jayinla

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
Ok, ladies and gentlemen I'm here with your independent review... I own no stock in any company and could care less how well or not well this case sells. With that:

I am a sucker for clear iPhone cases. I love the look of the iPhone and wish it wasn't all glass so a case wouldn't be totally necessary. I have tried several and where I liked many including the Powersupport Air Jacket and the clear Incase Snap, the biggest beef I have with them is they all scratch badly within minutes.

Recently I have begun using the Incipio NGP smoke colored as it's the closest thing in TPU they offer that you can still see the Apple logo and backing. I like this case but don't love it. Kinda bulky but whatever. It's passable.

When reading this thread the other day I drank the Kool Aid and ordered knowing the Zum was on sale at Amazon for $12.99. I 'm already a Prime member so 2 day shipping was free. I figured it was worth a shot for the price. I received today and here are some initial impressions:

The case is definitely worth $12.99. Both the sleep and volume buttons work perfect. I believe someone used the word natural for the button response in an earlier post. That would be a perfect description. No problem with the buttons. The case is slim especially compared to the Incipio NGP. If I had a beef with it I would say the TPU isn't the best quality but again it's not bad. Just not great. The bottom front lip seems quite flimsy and could be a problem down the line, but now. I would say the backing isn't as crystal clear as hard plastic, maybe a slight frosting but for a TPU material, I like it since it's been a few hours and not one scratch. Hurray! I'm not a fan of the charge port flap and probably will cut it off but both the charge port flap and phone jack flap are secure when in.

Overall, again for $12.99, I'm not complaining. The case does look and feel good on my 4s. Hopefully this unbiased, independent review has helped.

MrRon

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Miami, FL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

jayinla said:
Ok, ladies and gentlemen I'm here with your independent review... I own no stock in any company and could care less how well or not well this case sells. With that:

I am a sucker for clear iPhone cases. I love the look of the iPhone and wish it wasn't all glass so a case wouldn't be totally necessary. I have tried several and where I liked many including the Powersupport Air Jacket and the clear Incase Snap, the biggest beef I have with them is they all scratch badly within minutes.

Recently I have begun using the Incipio NGP smoke colored as it's the closest thing in TPU they offer that you can still see the Apple logo and backing. I like this case but don't love it. Kinda bulky but whatever. It's passable.

When reading this thread the other day I drank the Kool Aid and ordered knowing the Zum was on sale at Amazon for $12.99. I 'm already a Prime member so 2 day shipping was free. I figured it was worth a shot for the price. I received today and here are some initial impressions:

The case is definitely worth $12.99. Both the sleep and volume buttons work perfect. I believe someone used the word natural for the button response in an earlier post. That would be a perfect description. No problem with the buttons. The case is slim especially compared to the Incipio NGP. If I had a beef with it I would say the TPU isn't the best quality but again it's not bad. Just not great. The bottom front lip seems quite flimsy and could be a problem down the line, but now. I would say the backing isn't as crystal clear as hard plastic, maybe a slight frosting but for a TPU material, I like it since it's been a few hours and not one scratch. Hurray! I'm not a fan of the charge port flap and probably will cut it off but both the charge port flap and phone jack flap are secure when in.

Overall, again for $12.99, I'm not complaining. The case does look and feel good on my 4s. Hopefully this unbiased, independent review has helped.

Another "UNBIAS" review? Very presistant :). Anyway I have ordered one for trial. Will know few days later. Just return it if it's not good !!

jayinla

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Another "UNBIAS" review? Very presistant :). Anyway I have ordered one for trial. Will know few days later. Just return it if it's not good !!

Oh my lord, Give the conspiracy theory a rest. Now I feel I shouldn't have even taken the time to write an opinion.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Oh my lord, Give the conspiracy theory a rest. Now I feel I shouldn't have even taken the time to write an opinion.

Honestly, you really shouldn't have because the doubters posting in this thread don't deserve your great review or any review for that matter. I think they've seen enough pictures and read enough opinions to come to their own conclusion on whether or not this case would be suitable for them.

At this point, they should either spend the $12.99 and decide for THEMSELVES or completely move on from this case (and this thread for that matter) and look elsewhere - like those knock-off stupid-looking metallic cases that not only will degrade their signal but also not fit properly.

As for me I'm done with this nonsense and this thread. To the OP, thanks for pointing this case out to me. I ordered 6 total (for myself and others) and I don't regret it one bit - especially for that price.

guccigucci88

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010

Good review.

Honestly, you really shouldn't have because the doubters posting in this thread don't deserve your great review or any review for that matter. I think they've seen enough pictures and read enough opinions to come to their own conclusion on whether or not this case would be suitable for them.

At this point, they should either spend the $12.99 and decide for THEMSELVES or completely move on from this case (and this thread for that matter) and look elsewhere - like those knock-off stupid-looking metallic cases that not only will degrade their signal but also not fit properly.

As for me I'm done with this nonsense and this thread. To the OP, thanks for pointing this case out to me. I ordered 6 total (for myself and others) and I don't regret it one bit - especially for that price.

No one said it was a bad case. (i didnt anyways) Just that there was self promoting going on by people pretending to be customers. Buying knock off cases is tacky. The real vapor pros are nice as hell and don't degrade signal at all ;)

btw all clear tpu's will noticeably yellow over time. It depends on usage, but it will take probally a few weeks before you notice anything. You'll prolly get more mileage out of the colored ones.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.