Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowleopard48

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Is his new album seriously called "Kisses on the Bottom"?

Anyway, it would be good if apple focused more on their actual products and less on iTunes. :/

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
Is his new album seriously called "Kisses on the Bottom"?

Anyway, it would be good if apple focused more on their actual products and less on iTunes. :/
Well, iTunes is a pretty big money maker. Plus, they have different departments for different things. The amount of work they put into iTunes won't disrupt the efforts going into iOS or Macs.

DaveDaveDave

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2006
Beatles suck.

What does any of this have to do with selling phones & computers? If they want to be a media company, they have to look politically agnostic to remain appealing as a tech company.

All this makes me want to do is make the switch to a more agnostic platform, for example Android.

This is among many things that could make Apple better by simply removing it.

Is Apple now run by a bunch of moralizing silly philanthropists? What the crap? I just want a functional phone and computer with as little bull attached to it (physically or karmically) as possible. Is Siri next going to break out in song and start lecturing me on how to be nicer? I'll throw it in the trash.

So, if I read this right, you lean right politically and this free concert net-cast makes you angry because you perceive it as left-wing? Good golly man, I think you're right! I'm with you. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids!

/sarc

LarryB08

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
He's an idiot. Wouldn't waste my time watching him.

No doubt Paul will have to take quite some time to recover from your comments.

And I don't know why some people find such joy in expressing such hate or distaste for someone they likely have little if any familiarity with. Does it make you feel better about yourself, belittling someone who has done more in his nearly 70 years than most of us could likely do in 5 times that many? Do you feel cool; do you feel better now?

Anyway, whether you like Paul or not, you have to understand that the tweeners and 20 somethings, etc. are already pretty much indoctrinated into the whole iEcosystem. But any good company will work to try to enlarge its customer base. Providing access to artists that may be of more interest to older generations is certainly a way to do that. And the more successful this is, the more you can expect to see this technology applied to an increasingly larger base of groups and artists. So wise up and stop whining.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

How much more narrow minded can a person be? Or is it that you just wrote the first thing that pooped out of your mind?
This event has a lot to do with iTunes. In fact, it can only be watched through iTunes, which mainly mean Macs, iDevices, AppleTV and yes, PC users with an iTunes account.

The iTunes Store sells music and other media 'products'. Paul McCartney just released an album, and this live concert is meant to promote it. Apple makes money every time an album sells.

So, please explain: in what sense is Apple not focusing on their actual products?

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
This is MR news? And front page news at that? I guess we'll be seeing all sorts of "news" when other artists start promoting on iTunes. Time to rename this site to NonMacRumors?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
"yea yea, all that [old and irrelevant] s&@#... look, if we were black, people would be thrilled that we're still alive and well, and stand in long lines for a chance to hear us play again. ...Anyway, somehow the stadium still fills up, regardless of the f%#* critics' expert opinions." -Keith Richards

Sure, Beatles > Solo stuff, it's always like that. Ringo just came out with a new album too. ...haven't heard eithers solo stuff in at least 15 years, but this'll be a handy way to catch up.

Apple could have chosen any artist for the event, but I'll bet a hell of a lot more people with money to spend on a pricey new Apple TV would rather hear Paul McCartney than the trendy tripe of the week.

Last edited:

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
The seniors will enjoy this, I'm not impressed.

You must be another victim of Peer-Pressure. You may have just scored a point with your peers, but here, I'm sure most of us disagree with you.

You can't watch the concert; it's past your bed time.

----------

...and breaks the internets

I heard the Internet People, together with Apple are adding a new series of pipes to the Internet today to make sure it doesn't break tomorrow night; so don't worry too much about it. And if it does break, I'm sure they can fix it fairly quick. :D

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
No doubt Paul will have to take quite some time to recover from your comments.

And I don't know why some people find such joy in expressing such hate or distaste for someone they likely have little if any familiarity with. Does it make you feel better about yourself, belittling someone who has done more in his nearly 70 years than most of us could likely do in 5 times that many? Do you feel cool; do you feel better now?

Anyway, whether you like Paul or not, you have to understand that the tweeners and 20 somethings, etc. are already pretty much indoctrinated into the whole iEcosystem. But any good company will work to try to enlarge its customer base. Providing access to artists that may be of more interest to older generations is certainly a way to do that. And the more successful this is, the more you can expect to see this technology applied to an increasingly larger base of groups and artists. So wise up and stop whining.
Wow, someone really likes to ride the high horse. For your information I lived in England during the early Beatles days and actually met him once. I also followed him through the years. Through the course of his life, I saw some things I didn't like. Pure and simple. Didn't know calling him an idiot would get such a rise.

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
Does this mean the genie is out of the bottle?

What's next? Maybe all types of live streaming? Sports, network tv, news, HBO, etc. - just wondering.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This thread is very informative. It certainly gives insight into how young this forum is skewed these days. No wonder there are so many rediculous posts these days.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
This thread is very informative. It certainly gives insight into how young this forum is skewed these days. No wonder there are so many rediculous posts these days.

I guess I'll have to join you in the ranks of the forum's curmudgeons.

If anyone doesn't want to watch McCartney's concert on your iPad or AppleTV, then its really very simple: Don't watch it.

No one is going to argue that Paul McCartney is the bleeding edge of popular music. But he is still a big enough name, with enough of a post-Beatles catalog to ensure that several hundred thousand folks from around the world will catch at least part of his iTunes show. If he sells a few extra albums as a result, good for him (I hear he had an expensive divorce...)

But Kudos to Apple for finding new ways to broaden the appeal of iTunes and the AppleTV platform. Its things like this that keep adding value to my purchase of an AppleTV over a year ago; and keep me interested in the next electronic box they are going to roll out.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
The seniors will enjoy this, I'm not impressed.

Ah, us seniors have no taste. We're all pathetic morons locked in the past and unable to appreciate the immense current current talent popular with those young folks - like Justin Bieber. Oh, if I only were younger I'm sure I would enjoy the immense youth talent.

We are also so bereft of critical faculties that we are unable to discern that McCartney, while producing some good stuff while with the Beatles, has not exactly been brilliant in recent years. But being a senior, I wouldn't know that.

I'll just sit here and drool while listening to my treasured tapes of Lawrence Welk.

That's what us seniors listen to, you know.:rolleyes: :p

BassPlayer

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
West Haven, CT
Damn - I'm considered a senior at 38? That's news to me.

Yes, I'm a Beatles fan, as well as their solo material. I have everything the Beatles have recorded - bootlegs included. They sit next to my Mudvayne, Slipknot, ABBA, ELO, Mr Bungle, Nick Cage, Beethoven, Dream Theater, Primus (who I'm seeing tonight :D ) and many others.

Perhaps it'd be best that if you don't like the band, don't generalize.

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
All this talk about the Beatles sucking and Paul being a wash-up is strange. Anyone with any appreciation for music should know that the Beatles were revolutionary. They changed music. A HUGE portion of today's artists trace their inspirations and song writing back to those 4.

They were all great, but Paul has been the everylasting flame of the group, and now represents all of them by himself. I for one, think that today's "music" is getting worse and worse. It is moving away from creativity and moving towards the looped drum tracks and auto tuned voices that you can hear on your local "Today's Hits" radio stations.

There are of course exceptions - but there's a lot of what I would call garbage out there.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Depends on what you consider young. If you are hold up in a retirement home I see your point. I'm closer to middle age than my college years, i.e., no spring chicken. I enjoyed the Beatles and McCartney back in the 70s. But McCartney's new album is hardly a throw back to rock n' roll or pop of that era or forward; It's a set song standards from Great Depression/WWII era. Yep, retirement home music.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Damn - I'm considered a senior at 38? That's news to me.

Yes, I'm a Beatles fan, as well as their solo material. I have everything the Beatles have recorded - bootlegs included. They sit next to my Mudvayne, Slipknot, ABBA, ELO, Mr Bungle, Nick Cage, Beethoven, Dream Theater, Primus (who I'm seeing tonight :D ) and many others.

Perhaps it'd be best that if you don't like the band, don't generalize.

Same here ... enjoy Primus, it's a really crazy/fun live show. Is that the Brooklyn/Williamsburg show? Should be an amazing venue!

PS, don't fall and break your hip you ol' coot. :D

BassPlayer

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
West Haven, CT
Same here ... enjoy Primus, it's a really crazy/fun live show. Is that the Brooklyn/Williamsburg show? Should be an amazing venue!

PS, don't fall and break your hip you ol' coot. :D

Yup - Williamsburg. Leaving work in 10 minutes for it. Taking my Geritol and hitting the show. :D

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
All this talk about the Beatles sucking and Paul being a wash-up is strange. Anyone with any appreciation for music should know that the Beatles were revolutionary. They changed music. A HUGE portion of today's artists trace their inspirations and song writing back to those 4.

Don't pay any attention - even the slightest mention of anything Beatles related on here brings the clueless haters out in hoards.

Max E Verde

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
New Jersey
Just appeared on my Apple TV.
Buggy when you go back to the menu. Resolved by going to another app and back to the main menu.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 61
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.