Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellodon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
This is really weird.

I came home from work today and my girlfriend was telling me how all day her phone wasnt able to make outgoing calls. I had used mine during the day at work to send a text or 2 but hadnt made any phone calls.

She showed me and sure enough, anything she dialed said "Call Ended" and "Call Failed" almost immediately.

I tried my phone. It's doing the same thing.

I looked at my AT&T account to make sure there were no problems with my bill since we are on the same plan...everything fine there.

I texted a friend with an iPhone to see if this was an AT&T issue but he called me right back with no problems. I could receive the call and any texts he sent me, but I couldnt call him.

I couldnt even call AT&T at *611

Surely this had to be a problem with my account right? I figured the best test would be for me to take a ride and try the phone. I drove my girlfriend to work and tried the phone about 4 blocks from here and it worked flawlessly. She has called me a few times from work tonight with no problem.

I was able to call her on my ride home but once I got home, I couldnt anymore.

What the heck is going on here? It seems the the issue is just at home here. I have full signal, tried it on wifi and on 3g, full wifi signal...this just does not make sense!

I have seen others post having the issue where they can't dial out...and get Call Ended. Call Failed instantly but I have yet to see anyone talk about it happening in just one spot like that.

I have NEVER had a problem in my house. Always a great signal and as I mentioned, even now. So what could be going on? I feel like I can rule out a problem with the phone since I am able to make calls away from here but I just don't know. I havent tried backing up and restoring yet...but I just feel like that's not my answer. I made calls fine last night, today BOTH of us are having the same issue and apparently only here...I just got a call from her as I type this from work....so things are fine away from this area

Anyone know what's going on? If I need to clarify anything please let me know. Thanks in advance!

hellodon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Figured this out. Works now.

I never updated to 2.2.1....didnt realize that. So I hooked it up and did that then and after it was done it had a quick "carrier update" from AT&T (first time i've seen that) and after it did both updates it worked.

seajay1221

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2003
I'm having a problem on my iphone that has these EXACT same symptoms. The only problem is that I had already updated my phone with the carrier update. I've tried every troubleshoot - in and out of airplane mode, turning off 3g, hard resets, soft resets, restoring the firmware, etc. I even took it to an AT&T store and they swapped out the sim card to see if that would fix it - it didn't. It's the strangest thing ever but it doesn't seem like a hardware problem. I guess I'll take it into an apple store (never jailbroke so I'm not worried about that) but the closest one is an hour away. Can anybody think of something that I'm overlooking that might fix this?

delamitrifan

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
My iPhone just started doing the same thing

I flew to Dallas from Mpls on Sunday, and suddenly my iPhone won't call out. I can receive calls, send and receive emails, etc., but NO CALLS OUT. The call fails immediately. I tried all the resets and even talked to an Apple service person after setting up appointment on line and having them CALL ME! Basically, after trying the resets again, they're saying it must be a bad SIM card, so I have to take the phone back to the Apple store. I just bought it a week ago. VERY FRUSTRATING!!

4by20

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2009
Go to Settings > General > Date and Time. Switch off “Set Automatically” and manually select your hometown (the default is Cupertino). If you dont change it, you will not be able to make outgoing calls. But the wierd part is, you will still be able to receive incoming calls. Once done, manually set the date and time, and restart your iPhone. If you want, you can reset the 2 settings to “Set Automatically” again.

lasurfgrl

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2015
Go to Settings > General > Date and Time. Switch off “Set Automatically” and manually select your hometown (the default is Cupertino). If you dont change it, you will not be able to make outgoing calls. But the wierd part is, you will still be able to receive incoming calls. Once done, manually set the date and time, and restart your iPhone. If you want, you can reset the 2 settings to “Set Automatically” again.

lasurfgrl

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2015
Thank you for this information. I tried your advice and it worked, I can now call out again. Again thank you. :)

JeannieLee

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2017
This is really weird.

I came home from work today and my girlfriend was telling me how all day her phone wasnt able to make outgoing calls. I had used mine during the day at work to send a text or 2 but hadnt made any phone calls.

She showed me and sure enough, anything she dialed said "Call Ended" and "Call Failed" almost immediately.

I looked at my AT&T account to make sure there were no problems with my bill since we are on the same plan...everything fine there.

I texted a friend with an iPhone to see if this was an AT&T issue but he called me right back with no problems. I could receive the call and any texts he sent me, but I couldnt call him.

Surely this had to be a problem with my account right? I figured the best test would be for me to take a ride and try the phone. I drove my girlfriend to work and tried the phone about 4 blocks from here and it worked flawlessly. She has called me a few times from work tonight with no problem.

What the heck is going on here? It seems the the issue is just at home here. I have full signal, tried it on wifi and on 3g, full wifi signal...this just does not make sense!

I have seen others post having the issue where they can't dial out...and get Call Ended. Call Failed instantly but I have yet to see anyone talk about it happening in just one spot like that.

I have NEVER had a problem in my house. Always a great signal and as I mentioned, even now. So what could be going on? I feel like I can rule out a problem with the phone since I am able to make calls away from here but I just don't know. I havent tried backing up and restoring yet...but I just feel like that's not my answer. I made calls fine last night, today BOTH of us are having the same issue and apparently only here...I just got a call from her as I type this from work....so things are fine away from this area

Anyone know what's going on? If I need to clarify anything please let me know. Thanks in advance!
[doublepost=1496972274][/doublepost]I had the same problem and tried all the solutions posted up to 6/ 2017. some seemed to work for a short time. but them back to the same problem. It was the sim card going out. get a new sim car ($10) before you do anything else like I did hours on the phone with techies, , finally buying a new phone,) only to have the same issue!

TeaEarleGreyHot

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
yello

you just have to turn on and off cellular data on and off it worked for me every time it did happend

Thanks to the suggestions in this thread (even though it's many years old). My iPhone 5 quit making or receiving voice calls suddenly (updated iOS to 10.3.3 two days ago), but it worked just fine using cellular data, and even acting as a WiFi hotspot. All the "antenna" dots were empty. Even drove across town to get different cellular towers! Tried everything I could think of, including the many steps outlined on Apple's website. Was about to head to the Verizon store to seek help or a new phone.

The magic trick was to turn off LTE. Then suddenly five dots of 3G reception appeared and I could send calls again! Turned LTE back on, and voila! All is golden. THANKS EVERYONE!

aquerichelli

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
This is really weird.

I just had this same problem today, and I used my bf's phone to call apple. I was told to take to the technical assistant in my town (in brazil we only have apple store in sao paulo and rio de janeiro). As I plugged my phone in the computer using usb to backup my photos, something happened while it was synchronizing with itunes and a few minutes later I got a call. Apparently it all came back to normal after connecting it to itunes. Now I'm able to make and receive calls. Hope it helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.