Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Not that I won't be jumping for joy regardless, but...why do you say that?

The upgrade from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 added (among other things):

A retina display, a faster clocked and more advanced processor, a faster clocked GPU, a wider bus, more RAM, a penta-band radio and 802.11n, and the same height but significantly less width and depth.

And, oh yeah, a higher capacity, longer lasting battery.

I'm not saying the iPad's situation is identical, of course, but it wouldn't be unheard of for Apple.

Agreed. I can't imagine Apple announcing this product and reporting it having less battery life than what we have now. I just can't imagine getting anything more out of it if there are as many upgrades to the inside as have been rumored.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
When is Apple going to announce the dang thing? It seems the iPad 3 is going to be like the iPhone 4S; Announced far beyond their typical release pattern.

The iPad 2 was announced and released in March last year. I think it would be a (pleasant) surprise if we get an announcement by the end of this month.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Retina Display + Quad-Core processor = ipad 3 being WAY, WAY, WAY better than iPad 2.

The 2S stuff is a joke.

This is the one everyone has been waiting for.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Even if it does have the larger battery I assume it'll only be there to compensate for the retina display and/or the new A6 SoC. I doubt Apple will put it in to increase the already good battery life by an hour or two.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't understand the comparisons to the iPhone 4S. If this iPad has a retina display, quad core, LTE, the same or better battery life, and 1 GB of RAM then it's an iPad 2S? Why? Because it looks similar to the iPad 2? You guys are crazy. That's a huge upgrade over the 2.

arcite

macrumors 6502a
1726009_shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

vt220

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
I hear

The iPad 3 will get a hectare cpu and and 4x500gb sas harddisks...

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't understand the comparisons to the iPhone 4S. If this iPad has a retina display, quad core, LTE, the same or better battery life, and 1 GB of RAM then it's an iPad 2S? Why? Because it looks similar to the iPad 2? You guys are crazy. That's a huge upgrade over the 2.
Indeed. All the iPhone 4S got was some better cameras and a similar chip that Apple has been using in the iPad 2 for over seven months - which is underclocked compared to the iPad 2's chip.

If the third generation iPad indeed will get new wireless connectivity (4G) no other iPad (or iPhone) has ever had, a extremely high resolution display no iPad (or Mac) has ever had on such a small display, a brand new chip that no other iOS device is using and perhaps even better battery life, than this is an iPad 3. Not an iPad 2S.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
It is confermed?

So, it is confirmed that the iPad III will come with a battery and not a hamster wheel generator? That is good, I was getting somewhat concerned by the rumors.

I have heard that it might come with it's own levitation field so you don't need to worry about holding it the wrong way.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
iPad 2S is coming.

S stands for "Screen" (retina display) and "Speed" (quad-core/LTE, etc...)

Don't expect a redesign. They established a pattern with the iPhone and likely will use the same thing for the iPad.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Does that look like a new opening for wireless antenna in the lower right? Long vertical black strip on the back piece.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I usually don't upgrade from VerA to VerB, I like to wait for VerC but in the case of the iPad 2's camera I'd grab an iPad 3 for an improvement in that alone.

Now, I won't grab one if I have to deal with weight issues from a bigger iPad. One of the biggest reasons I skipped the iPad 1 was due to the weight.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I'm sure Retina Display Means Drained Battery + this rumor will average out as the same, 10 hour battery life.
Also, the thinner design rumors + thicker design rumors will average out as the same thickness.

Also, I'm sure it will be called the iPad 3.
The iPhone wasn't named after generations, apart from the iPhone 4.
The iPod touch has been referred to by generations, even though the second- and third-generations were internal updates only.
So, iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3. Seems to make sense.

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
It is not the LCD part of the screen that sucks down battery life. It is the back lighting that is the power drain. The LCD panel itself takes very little power to run and the number of pixels in it does not really matter to much on power usage.

While it is true that the LCD itself doesn't contribute much to the power drain, fitting more pixels isn't as easy as you might think. Not all of the components scale down equally. This results in less overall area for light to pass through, with all else being equal. That in turn means a manufacturer must increase the intensity of the backlight in order to achieve similar display brightness. Thus diminishing battery life.

Now it was rumored that Apple would be switching to IGZO transistors for the iPad 3 display. These can do the same job as the transistors currently attached to each of the display's pixels while being much smaller. Leaving more area for light to pass through, with all else being equal.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Speaking of a larger battery, I hope Apple is working on reinventing the battery. From what I understand, battery technology hasn't changed very much in decades and we're more reliant on batteries than ever to power all of our mobile devices.

Apple seems like the only company that has the courage to take on things like that lately. How great would it be to have an iPhone that you could use all day for days at a time without running out of battery life.

I keep USB cables all over the place so that whenever I'm in one place for any length of time I can charge my phone a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.