Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Hey, I'm a pretty big noob when it comes to these things and here are some cables I currently have and the possible inputs that are on the back of my TV/Monitor.

Sorry for the repetitive thread :(

Nov 28, 2010
located
You could just use ONE MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter plus HDMI cable or a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI cable.

Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DP.png
MDP adapters can be bought online from:
MDP to VGA adapter from Apple
MDP to DVI adapter from Apple
MDP to Dual-Link-DVI adapter from Apple

Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support adapter from the Apple Online Store

Mini DisplayPort + USB to Dual-Link DVI adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from Monoprice
Mini Displayport Male and USB Male/Toslink Audio to HDMI Female Converting adapter from Monoprice
Mini Displayport Male and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Converting adapter from Monoprice - *NOTE* Will only support 2 channel stereo. Will not support 5.1 Dolby Surround like the above adapter.

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cables from Monoprice

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"

from

jeremym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Awesome, so should I just return my Mini Displayport to DVI adapter and buy a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable?

jj48

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
UK
Awesome, so should I just return my Mini Displayport to DVI adapter and buy a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable?

That's what I use with my MacBook Air and Samsung HDTV and it works great! (FYI I did have to change a few settings here and there to get the best picture).

jeremym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
That's what I use with my MacBook Air and Samsung HDTV and it works great! (FYI I did have to change a few settings here and there to get the best picture).
Looks like I'll try to do that then! How much did the cables cost and did you buy them from Apple?

Nov 28, 2010
located

You can try, if the cables and adapters you have work, but a simple adapter plus extension cable has fewer errors than two adapters and one cable.

jeremym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
You can try, if the cables and adapters you have work, but a simple adapter plus extension cable has fewer errors than two adapters and one cable.
Pretty embarrassing but I don't know if all the cables I currently have do work. By looking at them, if possible, is there a way I could just use these right now and have it work? What would I plug into where?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Pretty embarrassing but I don't know if all the cables I currently have do work. By looking at them, if possible, is there a way I could just use these right now and have it work? What would I plug into where?

I just looked at the photos, and I think, they will not work, due to the MDP> DVI adapter having a FEMALE DVI port, the DVD cable being MALE on both ends (as far as I can't tell, but the ones I have seen are) and the DVI>HDMI adapter being MALE on the DVI side and FEMALE on the HDMI side, while your TV has a FEMALE HDMI port.
In order for this to work, you need that MDP>HDMI adapter+cable I talked about earlier.

jeremym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
I'm guessing your MBP has a mini-display port ?

All you need is the mini display port to HDMI connector assuming your HDTV has speakers.
Yeah, it does. Thanks for the answers guys!

So I'll just get the mini display port to HDMI and then I'll need an HDMI cord and then I'm good to go? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.