Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kawasakirider

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Hey everyone, I'm trying to JB my new 4S with absinth. I have tried both versions of absinth, 4 and 3, same issue. Here's what happens:

I run the program and wait until it tells me to unlock it and hit the absinth app, which I do and then I get the "Wait for absinthe to complete..." page.
After around 30 seconds, it says "Didn't work? Try this: 1. Tap 'Jailbreak' to open the Settings Application and turn on the VPN named 'Jailbreak'.
I tap the big green glowing "Jailbreak" button below it, and it gives an error popup:
"Cannot Open Absinthe. Absinthe could not be opened. The error was "The URL can't be shown".
It offers "Close" and "Retry". Retry repeats the error over and over again, and Close closes the app.

OK. So I close the app, and go to the Settings myself.

VPN = OFF so I try to swipe it to "on" and it says connecting for a while, then it says "VPN Connection - a configuration error occurred".

Anyone have any ideas? It's really annoying me.

Cheers!

kawasakirider

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Just went into Settings > General > Network and saw Jailbreak in the VPN thing, I still can't get it to work.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
You have to keep trying to turn on the VPN, even after getting errors. The phone will crash and Cydia will be on your springboard.

kawasakirider

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
You have to keep trying to turn on the VPN, even after getting errors. The phone will crash and Cydia will be on your springboard.

I just updated iTunes and was told to get rid of the passcode lock (it didn't tell me to do this the first few times I tried it) then I went to JB it and got to the "Cannot Open Absinthe. Absinthe could not be opened. The error was "The URL can't be shown".

But as soon as I hit the big green jailbreak this time, the phone reset and Cydia was there. I just needed to update iTunes. I dunno why?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I just updated iTunes and was told to get rid of the passcode lock (it didn't tell me to do this the first few times I tried it) then I went to JB it and got to the "Cannot Open Absinthe. Absinthe could not be opened. The error was "The URL can't be shown".

But as soon as I hit the big green jailbreak this time, the phone reset and Cydia was there. I just needed to update iTunes. I dunno why?

Update itunes so you can get the correct drivers and also get rid of the passcode lock. That's a given.

kawasakirider

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
I think the JB will give you probs.
That's what I read so I removed the passcode lock, JB the phone and once done put the passcode back.
Why risk it if they tell you to leave it off.

I did delete the passcode before I JB the phone. Are you saying now it's Jailbroken, I can put the passcode lock back on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.